Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    46

    pull over for unmarked car?

    How can people verify if they're being pulled over by a legit unmarked police car? What's the best thing to do if in doubt? Can a unmarked car with a simple red light on its roof pull you over? Should one pull over if driving on a lonely road? Is it true that *77 on your cell phone is a direct link to local state troopers for verification? I received an email today about the *77 but wouldn't it be better to call 911?
    sorry for all the questions, i got carried away

  2. #2
    Resident Misanthrope
    BCSD Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,372
    Ask Snopes

    *77 will not connect you with the state troopers. Sorry.

    If in doubt and in a dark or remote area, slow, turn on your emergency flashers, and continue until you arrive in a brightly lit parking lot.
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

    The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    6,957
    Pull over, crack the window, advise the officer of your concerns and ask for the number to his dispatch center so you can confirm that he is a police officer.

  4. #4
    nom de plume

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,652
    In general. Red lights are not police lights. In this modern age of led lights most real cop cars even unmarked would have several blue lights. Excepting the undercover guys who are using undercover cars.

    Sad but true their is not a common radio dispatch that covers all agencies. Calling 911 doesn't cover the troopers. Calling the troopers doesn't cover the city pd. Calling the city doesn't cover the deputies. Not counting federal guys or game wardens.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

    nom de plume

    This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

  5. #5
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by houtx View Post
    How can people verify if they're being pulled over by a legit unmarked police car? What's the best thing to do if in doubt? Can a unmarked car with a simple red light on its roof pull you over? Should one pull over if driving on a lonely road? Is it true that *77 on your cell phone is a direct link to local state troopers for verification? I received an email today about the *77 but wouldn't it be better to call 911?
    sorry for all the questions, i got carried away
    If for someone reason you don't think the car behind you is a legit police car, call 911 and tell them your concern. They can verify that you are indeed being pulled over.

    Pull over in a lighted area if you're concerned.

    *77 will not connect you to anything that I am aware of. If you need help, call 911.

    Police cars will have at least one blue light somewhere on the vehicle. It's illegal for any other vehicle to have a blue except for real police cars. Anyone can have a red light, including volunteer firemen or someone with an interent connection.

  6. #6
    God Bless Texas
    TexasAggieOfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    1,643
    A police car in Texas can have Red, Red/Blue, or Blue lights, as I read the Transportation Code. I don't know of a Texas agency that uses anything other than Red/Blue, though I know for a time, Austin PD used Blue.

    If you fail to stop for an unmarked car, you cannot be charged with Evading Arrest, as per the new law until a marked unit gets in on the pursuit.

    Here's my question - how do you know it's unmarked? Let's say I'm hiding in my favorite hidey hole and you don't see me. I clock you doing 50 in a 30 (regular occurance at said locale) and get in behind you. You look in your rearview, see my lights, but hey, those headlights don't look like a Charger or a Crown Vic. You going to run? Cause that's a fully marked Dodge Intrepid. You don't stop immediately, you're going to jail, scooter.

    Best thing you can do is call 911. But around here, it won't connect you to DPS dispatch and our dispatchers don't track our Troopers. Of course, you may bounce on a tower to another county (I was once at Texas Ave and Southwest Pkwy in College Station and somehow got picked up by Houston PD 911). If you don't know your county, you may get real screwed in a hurry.

    All that being said, other than our couple of vollies with full lightbar rigs, MOST Texas police cars doing traffic stops will look like a UFO landing behind you.
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

  7. #7
    Band-aid jockey
    mikeymedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    4,164
    Call 911 and ask while giving them your current location. In Colorado, if you do not pull over for an unmarked unit, you will NOT be cited for fleeing.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    fordman318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    496
    ................
    Last edited by fordman318; 03-29-2010 at 01:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Retired Sergeant - CHP
    SgtCHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    6,252
    If you are in CA and there is a vehicle behind you displaying a "Kojac" light, keep on driving because it is not a law enforcement officer.

    ALL emergency vehicles, marked or unmarked, must display at least one steady burning red light to the front and sound a siren as necessary to effect a traffic stop or respond to an emergency.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]


  10. #10
    Forum Member
    uSa4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    Red lights are not police lights
    In New York red lights ARE Police lights
    "Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs."

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by houtx View Post
    How can people verify if they're being pulled over by a legit unmarked police car? What's the best thing to do if in doubt? Can a unmarked car with a simple red light on its roof pull you over? Should one pull over if driving on a lonely road? Is it true that *77 on your cell phone is a direct link to local state troopers for verification? I received an email today about the *77 but wouldn't it be better to call 911?
    sorry for all the questions, i got carried away

    If you are lit up by an unmarked car that you think is suspicious, I would suggest you put your hazard lights on and slow down; this will let the officer know you see him/her and want to comply with the traffic stop. Then call 911 and ask dispatch to verify that it is indeed an officer trying to stop your vehicle. Immediately stop once you find out it is indeed an officer.

    If you don't have access to a cell phone, drive with your hazard lights on to a well lit public area. Police impersonators are far less likely to try anything in front of the public eye.
    Last edited by mp1161; 03-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.

  12. #12
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackavar View Post
    Although most police cars will have red and blue lights it may not be required in TX (such as I previously mentioned). As such I would recommend asking someone in the TX forum.
    fair enough.

  13. #13
    OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    PtlCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wherever 2 wheels take me...
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    If for someone reason you don't think the car behind you is a legit police car, call 911 and tell them your concern. They can verify that you are indeed being pulled over.

    Pull over in a lighted area if you're concerned.

    *77 will not connect you to anything that I am aware of. If you need help, call 911.

    Police cars will have at least one blue light somewhere on the vehicle. It's illegal for any other vehicle to have a blue except for real police cars. Anyone can have a red light, including volunteer firemen or someone with an interent connection.
    It's not illegal for any other vehicle to have a blue light everywhere. Here, blue lights are seen on police cars (in the red/blue combination) any vehicle with just a blue light is a volunteer fire fighter. There are even some Dr's in rural areas that are permitted to display a green light.

    I'm a firm believer in a nationwide standard of Red and Blue for all police, regardless of state law.
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

  14. #14
    Cant keep it under 100...
    Unit453's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,410
    In general. Red lights are not police lights. In this modern age of led lights most real cop cars even unmarked would have several blue lights. Excepting the undercover guys who are using undercover cars.
    Ryker, the majority of the states in the U.S. use red lights. I'm not sure where you work but I hope you realize that it varies from state to state. Some states do not use blue at all. So, your statement is completely inaccurate.

  15. #15
    OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    PtlCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wherever 2 wheels take me...
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
    Ryker, the majority of the states in the U.S. use red lights. I'm not sure where you work but I hope you realize that it varies from state to state. Some states do not use blue at all. So, your statement is completely inaccurate.
    Exactly, some use red, some blue, some both. I think having a set nationwide standard would be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    SgtScott31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,493
    It will vary through state laws and what's common in your area. If you've lived in your town/county for any period of time, you should be familiar with the police vehicles around you. In Nashville, TN, everyone knows that the city PD has an aggressive driving unit, DUI units, and other vehicles that are unmarked. Whether unmarked or not, they have tons of lights and uniformed officers (for the most part) driving them. They are easily identifiable and residents in Davidson Co (and other counties who commute in) know it.

    A steady red light may be what's common in NY or CA as already mentioned. If you're so worried about it, ask the local PDs. They won't give you info on all their vehicles, but will at least let you know that they have unmarked and significant lighting.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

  17. #17
    I work for peanuts.
    S.O.444's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
    A police car in Texas can have Red, Red/Blue, or Blue lights, as I read the Transportation Code. I don't know of a Texas agency that uses anything other than Red/Blue, though I know for a time, Austin PD used Blue.

    If you fail to stop for an unmarked car, you cannot be charged with Evading Arrest, as per the new law until a marked unit gets in on the pursuit.

    Here's my question - how do you know it's unmarked? Let's say I'm hiding in my favorite hidey hole and you don't see me. I clock you doing 50 in a 30 (regular occurance at said locale) and get in behind you. You look in your rearview, see my lights, but hey, those headlights don't look like a Charger or a Crown Vic. You going to run? Cause that's a fully marked Dodge Intrepid. You don't stop immediately, you're going to jail, scooter.

    Best thing you can do is call 911. But around here, it won't connect you to DPS dispatch and our dispatchers don't track our Troopers. Of course, you may bounce on a tower to another county (I was once at Texas Ave and Southwest Pkwy in College Station and somehow got picked up by Houston PD 911). If you don't know your county, you may get real screwed in a hurry.

    All that being said, other than our couple of vollies with full lightbar rigs, MOST Texas police cars doing traffic stops will look like a UFO landing behind you.
    x2

    If I'm stopping you, you're going to see a lightbar, strobes, and all kinds of flashing lights behind you. If you don't stop within a reasonable amount of time, you'll hear the siren. You will know that I'm a LEO if I'm stopping you.

    OP, if you're in Tx and someone tries to stop you using a flashing red light only, I would be very hesitant to do so, as it would most likely be a volunteer FF in my area. Cops have red/blue lights. If in doubt, turn on your flashers, slow down, and call 911 to verify with your local dispatcher if the traffic stop is legit. It is very important to know where you are at at any given time, in case of a situation such as this or in case you see a major accident or robbery take place right in front of you. Location, location, location.

  18. #18
    Operator
    Bearcat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    18,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
    Ryker, the majority of the states in the U.S. use red lights. I'm not sure where you work but I hope you realize that it varies from state to state. Some states do not use blue at all. So, your statement is completely inaccurate.
    Only places I know that run full Blue is out here in the land of Coconuts and Pineapples (Hawaii), Some Southern States, and the Military..... Though, some military run whatever the locals run....some don't....

    You no stoppie for blue lights out here....you getting butt kicked and going to jail....

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    In general. Red lights are not police lights.
    That would really depend on the state you are in?!?!?

  20. #20
    Cant keep it under 100...
    Unit453's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Only places I know that run full Blue is out here in the land of Coconuts and Pineapples (Hawaii), Some Southern States, and the Military..... Though, some military run whatever the locals run....some don't....

    You no stoppie for blue lights out here....you getting butt kicked and going to jail....
    We use all blue. The county to the north of us use red and blue. The county to the south of us use all blue. The cities use red and blue. The Troopers use red during the day and blue at night. I personally think blue should be for law enforcement only but I know some mid western states have blue on firetrucks and ambulances. That never made sense to me.

  21. #21
    Operator
    Bearcat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    18,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
    We use all blue. The county to the north of us use red and blue. The county to the south of us use all blue. The cities use red and blue. The Troopers use red during the day and blue at night. I personally think blue should be for law enforcement only but I know some mid western states have blue on firetrucks and ambulances. That never made sense to me.
    When I was a kid growing up in the Midwest, it was all Reds for LEOs, all Reds for FF, Red for EMS, and all Blue for Volly FF.....and that was it....

    Sometime in the 90s, FF and LEO started to mix and match the Blue and the Red.....and that's how it is now. Still all Blue ofr the Volly FF though....

    Out here its Blue for the Po-leece and Red for Fire/EMS.... Even on post.

    I personally like the mix because it mixes things up and helps (hopefully) folks see you.... But, we know thats not always the case.....

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    215
    All red here by letter of the law but most use a combo of blue and red in the rear, and recently even a mixture to the front.

    #77 used to connect you to a NJSP dispatcher to report aggressive drivers but I believe the program was disbanded, however it is still stated on the website that it is active. http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/wireless_911.html

    As others have stated I would call 911 and give the location of the stop but do not do anything to increase the risk to yourself or the officer.

  23. #23
    Two Foot Onion
    Jarhead Fed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    130
    Well, considering the sheer volume of times I've been pulled over by local SD for speeding...I recognize EVERY local deputy...so I don't have a problem distinguishing between the real deal and an imposter. Sounds like you need to get pulled over more.
    If you are my supervisor and reading this...I'm calling off sick tomorrow.

    All posts made under this username are solely the opinion of the author (ME) and do not represent the opinion of my employer or any Federal, State, or local government agency and/or municipality. So get a grip and put on your big girl panties...'cuz if you suck at your job, I will probably tell you so.

  24. #24
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,884
    Quote Originally Posted by PtlCop View Post
    It's not illegal for any other vehicle to have a blue light everywhere. Here, blue lights are seen on police cars (in the red/blue combination) any vehicle with just a blue light is a volunteer fire fighter. There are even some Dr's in rural areas that are permitted to display a green light.

    I'm a firm believer in a nationwide standard of Red and Blue for all police, regardless of state law.
    Well it is in Michigan... I thought it was obvious that my point of view was that from somone in MICHIGAN... obviously you didn't get that. I'll be sure to make that crystal clear for you next time.

  25. #25
    OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    PtlCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wherever 2 wheels take me...
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Well it is in Michigan... I thought it was obvious that my point of view was that from somone in MICHIGAN... obviously you didn't get that. I'll be sure to make that crystal clear for you next time.
    That would have made sense, if the OP was from Michigan, which he's not. So...I'm not sure why you're giving information about a state he's not from and could likely care nothing about in regards to unmarked police cars..
    Quote Originally Posted by K40 View Post
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register