Forum Member

Legal Blade Length in MN?

Does anyone know the legal blade lenght of a folding knife in MN?

Gopher Fan!

3.5 inches to the best of my knowledge....I'll look for the statute.

Gopher Fan!

Minnesota State Statue 609.66 addresses "Dangerous Weapons" but does not explicitly address knives except to ban switchblades. It does state that it is unlawful to possess "any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used unlawfully as a weapon against another".

However, Minneapolis City Ordinance 393.10 states that a knife under 4 inches is not considered a weapon unless it is used as a weapon.

""Weapon" does not include (1) except when used as a weapon, a folding knife with a blade of four (4) inches or less in length, measured in a straight line from the point to the handle"

So, my short answer is that I can't find a state law which explicitly covers the length of blades.

Police Officer

I am 99.9% sure there is no law regulating the length of a knife. Although there are laws about types of knives.
    "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.