Forum Member

best way to become a police officer

Hello everyone. I am currently a freshman at a community college and was wondering what the best path would be to become a police officer. I am doing ride alongs and looking into internships already but I'm more wondering what i should do for college.

Currently I am planning on majoring in psychology and transfer to a UC (University of California) and none really have a criminology major or minor. So I could do a couple of things.

A. Just major in psychology and apply to agencies right out of college

B. Go to Sac State (really well know for criminology) and major in both psych and criminology.

C. Go to a UC and major in psych and get an AA in administrative justice from the community college I am currently attending, after going to the UC; this would only take one year instead of the normal two cause I'm taking all transferable ADJUS classes i can.

So far I'm thinking about option C the most since it sounds like hiring would take about a year anyways. Also an Adult school near where i live has Reserve Officer Classes to be qualified for level 3 and level 2 reserves. Would it be a smart idea to take this classes just so you have a knowledge of being a police officer even if i don't plan on being a reserve?

I would love to know what people think, thanks for your time.

Band-aid jockey
    With the current economy there isn't a whole lot of opportunity out there. I would take your time and finish school. Option C looks the best to ME.

Forum Member

I agree with Mikey. Being a reserve will help you decide if this career is for you or not.

An Obvious problem
    Skip the criminology, take the psych courses and maybe busiess admin or public admin. Sets you up better for promotion later on. CJ is actually pretty much a waste of time for being a cop.
    Today's Quote:

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

I agree with the above comments. Option C I would recommend. Good Luck, study hard and if after all the Schooling and internships at a PD, you still want to be a Police Officer, YOU will do fine.

If I could go back in time, I would love to get a degree, maybe when I retire

Forum Member

mdrdep, why is CJ a waste of time for being a cop? is it because you will learn all of that in the academy or is it just not needed?

Forum Member

ffffffht tp://forums.officer.com/forums/shofvbsad.php?p=2134544#post2134544
    Last edited by Nobody; 03-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Banned

Best way..... uh, apply.

Forum Member

Last edited by Nobody; 03-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Forum Member
    Yes, take this time in college to get a non-CJ degree. It won't help you get in the department or even after you get hired, and should the economy tank even more and you were to (God forbid) get laid off from your job, you would have a fall-back for another line of work. Psychology, English, math, science, something that will allow you to get into a higher paying field should something happen to your LE career. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

An Obvious problem
    HC it's already been covered pretty well, but I'll expand. You will get what you need about the law in the academy and FTO. It's specific training towards the job you will do. CJ is more generalized. There are some good CJ instructors out there, but many could't find their azz with both hands in the real world.

If you decide to promote later in your career you become more admin than street cop. CJ won't do you a bit of good there but public admin will.
    Today's Quote:

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

I agree that CJ degrees are a dime a dozen. Get your degree in something else. Either minor in CJ or just take the classes that will help you in the academy and a LE carreer. Criminal law classes were the only thing that helped me out in the academy, everything else was pretty much social theory that really didn't apply to anything I did.

Forum Member

Thanks for everyone's opinion, its very helpful. I probably didn't explain this very well in my original post. after college would it be a good idea to take classes to be certified as a reserve officer? i don't plan on becoming one i would rather just go straight into being a sworn police officer. but would it be helpful to take these classes on an application.

Forum Member

Last edited by Nobody; 03-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.