Forum Member

moving to new mexico

Looks like the family and I will be moving to southern New Mexico in the fall. None of us have every been to the area. I will be working in the Deming area. I hear Las Cruces is nice, but housing can be expensive. Any suggestions on places to live? We would rather live more in the "country", but would consider anything. Thanks
    04/2008 - test
    06-03-2009 - interview
    09/2009 - TO
    10-23-2009 - Drug test
    10-28-2009 - medical
    11-24-2009 - background interview
    12-19-2009 - not medically cleared
    01-12-2010 - faxed in my medical follow up report
    02-01-2010 - the CALL

Nom, Nom, Nom, Nom, Nom.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgpdnarc View Post
    Looks like the family and I will be moving to southern New Mexico in the fall. None of us have every been to the area. I will be working in the Deming area. I hear Las Cruces is nice, but housing can be expensive. Any suggestions on places to live? We would rather live more in the "country", but would consider anything. Thanks
    Well most of the action is in Albuquerque. Its a sprawled out city so it doesn't feel so cluttered. Best part is you can drive from one end of the city to the other even with traffic in just a little over an hour. The foothills and North East Heights are great places to live in Albuquerque or you could check out Rio Rancho too. Las Cruces is nice too only been there once but they have some decent food.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgpdnarc View Post
    I was in Deming and Soccoro for training last year... not much there. I did fall in love with New Mexico but was told if I go there I'll be going single...lol APD seems to be a great place to work but don't know much else other than what I've seen on the net.
    Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle

Forum Member

I have some property near Deming, just east of the Florida Mts., mind checking on it for me and make sure some squatter hasn't homesteaded on it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAChief View Post
    I have some property near Deming, just east of the Florida Mts., mind checking on it for me and make sure some squatter hasn't homesteaded on it?
    Sure, I can do that.
    04/2008 - test
    06-03-2009 - interview
    09/2009 - TO
    10-23-2009 - Drug test
    10-28-2009 - medical
    02-01-2010 - the CALL

L-1
    Forum Member
    Las Cruces to Deming is going to be a long commute - 120 miles round trip daily. Add that to your work hours and you are going to be beat.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member

I'm guessing he's Border Patrol, so where he works isn't his choice. My cousin lives in Deming. Her place is as about as "in the country" you can get. For the longest time they couldn't get a landline (because the phone co. couldn't justify the lines for only a few residences) or high speed internet (same thing with the cable company). I'm not sure if that's still the case.

It's about 40 miles from Deming to Las Cruces; the Deming residents use the Las Cruces craigslist site, so you may check there. If you are BP, you might EOD to Deming (or at least the area) before going to Artesia, so you can get resources at that time. Worst case scenarion there should be plenty of places available in Las Cruces.

Forum Member

Not BP, just got on with ICE SA
    04/2008 - test
    06-03-2009 - interview
    09/2009 - TO
    10-23-2009 - Drug test
    10-28-2009 - medical
    02-01-2010 - the CALL

Forum Member

Congrats. I'm surprised ICE has a field office in Deming.

Forum Member

I was stationed at Holloman AFB, nm in alamogordo and loved it. Great skies in New Mexico and it is very cheap. Love the food! I am on my way to northern NM to San Juan Pueblo to work for BIA. Maybe I will see you around

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by buffb27 View Post
    I was stationed at Holloman AFB, nm in alamogordo and loved it. Great skies in New Mexico and it is very cheap. Love the food! I am on my way to northern NM to San Juan Pueblo to work for BIA. Maybe I will see you around
    sounds good, I applied with BIA with no luck. non-native.
    04/2008 - test
    06-03-2009 - interview
    09/2009 - TO
    10-23-2009 - Drug test
    10-28-2009 - medical
    02-01-2010 - the CALL

Forum Member

I have lived in both northern and southern NM for my whole life, so I figure I may be able to help you out... As far as housing being expensive, I don't feel that it is, although that could depend on how nice of housing you are used to. Everyone here that has moved from other states usually says its amazing how far money can go in the real estate market here compared to other places.

If you want to live in the country there are PLENTY of places for that... So much so you may find yourself wishing for bigger cities lol. ChiliManiac is right, there is a lot of action in Albuquerque, but it is not the only place in the state that has problems. Most of the southern border has problems due to the proximity to Mexico and the drug trade. In addition to that, If you look at Las Cruces, El Paso TX is only 45 minutes away, with an Interstate connecting the two cities. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me!

Forum Member
    NMDOT DPS Any opinions?
    "Greater the Odds Greater the Glory"