Page 2 of 13 First 1234512 ... Last
    DENIED!
    Every borough is different in regards to pricing of apartments,etc..

it doesnt mean you live in manhattan when hired... plenty of housing for cheap are available.

even in corona/woodside/etc... which are just minutes from TLC Headquarters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JdotB View Post
    How long does it usually take to get on the TLC?
    From the TLC website it says that there are around 400 TLC employees. Expect a huge turnout for this exam due to not only the economy but the fact that most lists for city jobs have been frozen for awhile.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by District B 13 View Post
    How do they "vote" to violate FLSA and not take a lunch? Does NY state allow this?
    they were smart during collective bargining during new contracts. good union members
    NYPD Exam was # 8050 THE LAST OF AVENGERS

former nypd cadet many moons ago

Been OTJ

Conservator of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by options open View Post
    You commute like the thousands of other people.
    You won't be able to afford taxis.

Forum Member

Hi does anyone know what the medical for tlc inspector consists of and also how is the psych is it anything like nypd or easier?..Thanks

DENIED!
    Medical is done at Lefrak by the nypd med division.

Forum Member

The last TLC Inspector exam was in November of 2005. 23 eligibles between Nos. 107 and 477 on List 5057 to replace 11 provisionals at TLC, 6/12/09. Source:Chief-Leader.

I will try to find out how many are on the 5057 Eligibles list and when that list expires.

Forum Member

Got a response from DCAS.

"Please be advised that a review of our records indicates that, when the subject list was established on March 1, 2006, there were 486 eligibles on that list. A further review indicates that this list terminated on March 1, 2010. On that termination date, there were 145 eligibles left on the list."

The economy was different back when they gave the last exam. Either it was a very hard exam or there was little interest in taking it. I don't know if the filing period was the same as this years exam(20 days).

Forum Member

Are you sure that the medical and psych is done by the nypd at lefrak can anyone who has gone to the process tell me how it is?..Thanks

DENIED!
    Yes I am positive.

Forum Member

lefrak does the medical for every NYC law enforcement agency except for NYC corrections. the psych varies from dept to dept.

DENIED!
    They do medicals for CO's as well, although im not sure if its a backup thing or what.

Forum Member

Thanks do you know what the medical for tlc inspector consist of?..Thanks in advance

Forum Member

We should be getting our exam notices from DCAS sometime next week.

I used to listen on my scanner to TLC enforcement, most of it is car stops, checking plates,licenses, registrations,etc. Pretty boring stuff to listen to. I no longer hear them, they must have moved to another system, whatever, it's not like it was going to help me on the exam.

DENIED!
    The academy is in house and deals with procedures/guidlines/peace officer training.

I believe its almost 4 months worth.

You go to 40 rector to submit paperwork/get ID and then report to the TLC headquarters in Woodside, Queens for training... which if you are heading to the Astoria/Triboro Bridge on the BQE, its on the right side.

They are VERY active within my command.

They also had a very very very humiliating thing happen to them once while I was on a detail, I wont get into details, but... if you are conducting a car stop and you are going to collar the perp, dont leave your car on and let the perp walk to the back of his car with no cuffs on him.
    Last edited by NYCTNT; 04-29-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Conservator of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    if you are conducting a car stop and you are going to collar the perp, dont leave your car on and let the perp walk to the back of his car with no cuffs on him.
    Oh dear God!
    "They don’t think it be like it is, but it do."

Former Major League Baseball player Oscar Gamble

Forum Member

What do they carry on them besides handcuffs? pepper spray? nightstick? or are you supposed to rely only on your self defense tactics?

Bear in mind that most of these drivers come from cultures were violence is the norm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by future nypd View Post
    Thanks do you know what the medical for tlc inspector consist of?..Thanks in advance
    I'd like to know as well. I failed the eye test for the NYC DOC. Hopefully they have a bit more relaxed requirement since they don't carry firearms...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigHouseStyles View Post
    I'd like to know as well. I failed the eye test for the NYC DOC. Hopefully they have a bit more relaxed requirement since they don't carry firearms...
    Well I just renewed my drivers license so I am going to assume that you need a minimum 20/40 uncorrected vision for this job. Think about it, you have to be able to read license plates from a distance..

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by futuresanman View Post
    Well I just renewed my drivers license so I am going to assume that you need a minimum 20/40 uncorrected vision for this job. Think about it, you have to be able to read license plates from a distance..
    Most NY LE jobs you need 20/100 uncorrected and 20/30 corrected.

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by futuresanman View Post

Its not about reading license plates if you have a color distortion, its about identifying a suspect. You may see a red shirt when in fact it was a purple shirt.

Kind of hard to relay that to a jury.

If its just a blindness condition, then It should not be a biggy. Its very correctable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
    Most NY LE jobs you need 20/100 uncorrected and 20/30 corrected.
    Ok, thanks I didn't know that. A TLC inspector would fall under a LE category.

Forum Member
    i wonder wat time the exam might be on saturday cuz i got school from 12:30-2:30.
    NYPD

."why you be harassing me and ****"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by js2487 View Post
    I wish there was more info out there about this dept. Does anyone know what the supervisors pay is?
    Lieutenants and Captains supervise the TLC Inspectors, from doing a little research on seethroughNY.net a TLC Captain's base pay last year was $47,415, I am sure they all get a lot of OT though. Just a little OT every week makes a big difference.

So yeah, the base pay is low all around. Top base pay for TLC Inspector is $45k yr, the exception would be for the TLC Deputy Commissioners who make $120k+ yr.

I have a hunch that there is a high turnover rate from this job, people use it as a stepping stone for another job,etc. It's also a high stress job, making car stops unarmed in bad neighborhoods, handing out summons to irate cabbies,etc. All you have on you is a can of mace, an asp baton, a portable radio and a pair of handcuffs which in a struggle can be used against you.....but you work with a partner.

DENIED!
    Their captains are our lieutenants.

They have no Sergeants.

Page 2 of 13 First 1234512 ... Last