Forum Member

Maury County Tn Sheriff's Office

Anybody know anything about Maury County SO.

*Morale (good, bad)
    *Starting salary
    *Do you get take home cars...if so how soon..
    *Is it required that you move to Maury County if hired
    *Benefits
    *Hows the written exam
    *Uniform allowance

Their not hiring right now, but they said they might be testing in the spring I was just wanting to gather any information anybody might have or heard about them. Thanks!

Forum Member

I have not heard about any hiring going on any time soon...but that may be subject to change.The commission is attempting to budget cut us like crazy and we are already running on short supplies and less people than we need, But there still may be a test in the spring....I just don't know about the positions.

1: Morale: I LOVE it there. The Sheriff is awesome and the people I work with are top notch.

2: Starting Salary: Not too sure about this because it has changed so much in the last couple of years. I know that we start more than Columbia PD and if you have experience then it will be a lot more. But I believe that it is somewhere between $14.00 to $15.00/ hr....Thats a guess.

3:Take home car....yes if you are assigned to Patrol you get one when hired.

4: This has changed so much in the last couple of years. At one point you had to..then they changed it to you didn't. I think that you would stand a better chance of landing the job if you are a County resident however if you are not. You won't be able to take the car home with you.

5: Benifits...free medical on the employee. Family coverage sucks. Just saying.

6: Written exam has been updated. If you are fairly intelligent. Then you will pass it.

7:Uniform Allowance: We get an allotment each year and we order what we need up to a certain amount. I am not hurting for gear.....however I do buy a lot of my own stuff, just because I want the good gear...not because I have to.

Forum Member
    They do pay well for a county deputy. Like Devilgrunt said, If your family is dependent on your insurance I have heard it is sky-high.
    "Take caution in your tone, Commander. I'm a fair guy, but this f***ing heat is making me absolutely crazy." -Col. Nathan Jessup

Forum Member
    Did anyone else apply last week for Maury County Sheriff's Dept. I have a test date on April the 14th at 8:20 in Columbia. DevilGrunt have you heard how many positions they have open or are planning on hiring.

Forum Member

I only know of one certified position that is open on Patrol. The budget is coming up in July but the way the economy is I doubt we will get any new positons. However it is good to get on the Civil Service List in case any new positions pop open. If you need any other specifics just PM me. Good Luck!

Forum Member
    The posting for patrol didn't say it was for certified only. That would suck cause I'm not certified. When did you hear the position for patrol was for certified only? How long has it been since they have actually hired non-certified and sent someone to the academy?

Just out of curiosity, whats that work out to yearly $?
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member

Ok...I meant certifed as in Civil Service , however I would bet money that the next position hired will be POST certified officers. With the way the budget is it saves the Department money. They did send two to the Academy last year. But most of the people that have been hired in the last two years have been POST certified officers.

Forum Member
    Just a tip to you folks looking to get hired but are not certified:
    GO GET CERTIFIED ON YOUR OWN!!

Ever tightening budgets are making it to where most departments will hire a certified officer over one that is not. It is simple economics.

My son graduates high school next year, and is going straight to Cleveland State to get certified. It is really a good, cheap way to get a toehold over other candidates.

//Getting hired & then going to the academy is great, but in light of the economy, it is not going to be as easy as in the past.

///Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it IS good advice.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

Forum Member
    Well passed the written test, and the civil service board interview is on Tuesday. Anybody know what the rest of the process consists of. What should I expect after the interview. (Devilgrunt any idea?) Also does anyone have a definite answer on whether you still have to move into Maury county within 6 months of employment or did they do away with that.
    Last edited by BlueStreak21; 04-18-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Forum Member

The civil service process has changed since I went through it. I have heard that the interview is a board consisting of several civil service board members as well as someone from HR. Good Luck with the process!

Forum Member
    Well interview went well so now the list goes to the Sheriff, and well see what happens from there. I did email the director of human resources to get verification on the residency in Maury County requirement, and figured I would post it for those that had questions about it. Here is the exact email she sent.

The residency policy applies to all positions within the county except licensed health care professionals and P.O.S.T. certified positions. Therefore, if you applied for the communications dispatcher or correctional officer, the residency policy will apply. If you applied for the deputy sheriff position, the residency policy will not apply. If the residency policy applies to the position and you are unable to move within 6 months, you could be terminated. If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thank you for your interest in Maury County Government.

So since I only applied for the deputy sheriff position it would not apply to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by swat_op506 View Post
    Just a tip to you folks looking to get hired but are not certified:
    GO GET CERTIFIED ON YOUR OWN!!

Ever tightening budgets are making it to where most departments will hire a certified officer over one that is not. It is simple economics.

My son graduates high school next year, and is going straight to Cleveland State to get certified. It is really a good, cheap way to get a toehold over other candidates.

//Getting hired & then going to the academy is great, but in light of the economy, it is not going to be as easy as in the past.

///Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it IS good advice.
    Walter State is cheaper, and in 2006 was only 8 weeks long if anyone is interested in getting certified.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything?

Has anyone who took the written and interviewed for Maury County heard anything yet?

Forum Member
    Is the written test the same for all agencies in Tn

Forum Member
    No the written test is different for each department, and no I have not heard anything yet from Maury County. I would imagine they would start interviews sometime soon, but who knows.

Forum Member
    {cricket noises in the background} well anyone with any news. Its been over two months since the interviews and from what I can tell no one has heard anything. Any idea on when we might get this show on the road.

FTO

I have heard that the hiring has been put on hold until after the sheriff elections there. I'm not exactly sure when the election will be held, maybe sometime in Sept.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9)

Forum Member
    I have heard the same possibility. If that true the election is August 5th so looks like alot more waiting.

Forum Member
    We'll election came and went and still waiting. Anybody still in the process heard anything on when they might start interviews. Looks like Enoch is gonna stay the Sheriff (as if there was any doubt)...I've heard he's a great Sheriff, and people there seem to love him. Just hoping someday I'll get to work for him...

Forum Member
    How do they feel about out of state certified? Anyone know what TPOST requires to transfer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Forum Member

I have a friend that just transferred in from out of state, and there's a 3 week transitional academy for the out of state POST certified's.