Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

what level retention holster do you use?

I'm just curious to what levels of retention some people have. I still see some old school guys that use the single snap to keep their weapons in place. At the same time I see some people who have to twist, pull, snap, and bop the weapon to unholster it. What's the overall view on retention.

Seeker of the lost
    Short answer: as much as you can handle under stress.

Long answer: I got level III Safariland.

Wait.... why is my long answer shorter then short answer?

Turd Wrangler
    A level 2...anything that requires much more than unsnap and draw will likely not work well when you are under stress.

I've always beleived that weapon retention was important, but more a product of your awareness level (not letting some turd get that close to you) than any gizmo on my holster.

Again, just my opinion...
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

nom de plume

I like my safariland raptor. They call it level three but I call it level four.

Hood cover requires two movements to remove and one to return. So if on a stop I move te hood down. The holster still has two more levels before I can draw.

Great for duty but has a few negatives that a picky person like me would notice. Design prevents a proper grip which is ok at close range but at 20+ yards I have to take the time to relocate my thumbs.

I would never carry a level 1 holster. But I also don't like the level3+ designs that either slow you down or hinder accurate shooting grip.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Forum Member

I use the level 2 safariland raptor, and I love it.

One Man Force Multiplier
    Safariland 6325 III+
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Forum Member

Last edited by jeeper; 04-10-2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Forum Member

Level 1

Currently carry level I, but will upgrade to level III as soon as it is available for my duty weapon. You can be as fast with a level III as any other, it comes down to practice and knowing your equipment.

Forum Member

level 3 safariland raptor

"Livin' the dream..."
    Blackhawk level III. My only gripe about all the Blackhawk products is they are not lined like Safariland is; the bare plastic can take its toll on the weapon's finish.
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Forum Member
    I use a level 2 because it's what is issued, but would love to carry my level 3 SERPA if the LT would let me (already asked, was shot down quickly)

It's Complicated
    By statewide policy Safariland 6360 Level III

Qualify once a year.......................most staff might carry 3-4 times a year max for transports.

Not nearly enough training or practice to be proficient.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Level 3 safariland.

Forum Member
    level 2 safariland
    "Why you harassing me?"

I work for peanuts.
    Level II Bianchi Accumold Elite......it has done the job for the last three years, but I am in the market for a new holster. Currently looking into the Blackhawk Level 3 Serpa at the moment........

Deputy Sheriff
    6360, LIII. My view is while in uniform anyway I want as much as I can get. I routinely practice releasing and releasing/drawing, and r/d/firing at the range. I do not feel the retentions delay my weapon's leather-clearing time to any appreciable degree.

Forum Member
    My weapons instructor, told our class, “any holster designed to keep someone else from getting your gun, is designed to keep you from drawing your gun” .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arcop223 View Post
    My weapons instructor, told our class, “any holster designed to keep someone else from getting your gun, is designed to keep you from drawing your gun” .
    That is absolute crap. Your instructor is not someone I would want instruction from.

One Man Force Multiplier
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.444 View Post
    Level II Bianchi Accumold Elite......it has done the job for the last three years, but I am in the market for a new holster. Currently looking into the Blackhawk Level 3 Serpa at the moment........
    LH or RH?
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Forum Member

A proficient officer on a level III can clear faster then a lousy draw on a level I. That's a lazy old thought process right there. Develop some muscle memory and you can clear in your sleep and no chance of the bad guy getting your gun out while rolling around. But hey, if getting shot with your own gun doesn't concern you go for it.

Turd Wrangler
    Quote Originally Posted by JKralC104 View Post
    That is absolute crap. Your instructor is not someone I would want instruction from.
    I have to disagree. While gun grabs are scary, the need for you to be able to quickly access your weapon far outnumber attempts to disarm you.

I still believe that any holster that requires any more than unsnap and draw is dangerous, because when the poop hits the fan, and you lose your fine motor skills, you're not going to be able to draw. I've seen it time and time again during force on force training that requires a rapid draw under stress...the officers with the holsters that require disabling two (or more) locks, plus a pull back or lean forward, are at a disadvantage. I understand the desire for mechanical retention, but if you have not had to draw in a rapid, life or death type situation, you're not being realistic about the way your body will react, or, not react, under stress.

This is only my opinion, but it has been formed during training recruits and active duty officers over the years, plus developing a better understanding of the physiologic response to stress or extreme danger. I'd rather be able to get my weapon cleanly and quickly when I need it than to overload my holster with security features for the rare gun grab attempt.
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

nom de plume

Those that have shot with a shot timer know the importance of a proper easy to draw holster.

Those that have been shot with thier own weapon now know the importance of defensive tactics and higher level holster.

Must find a middle ground and I am happy with my raptor for duty carry. But on the range for quick shooting I use a level 1.

It crazy that we will carry a level 3 or higher holster and yet carry two or more weapons with no or limited level of security. Baton, OC, taser, hund cuffs, pocket knives and BUG.

If a decently trained attacker is close enough to pull you pistol he is close enough to apply a choke, strike, takedown, or armbar. Or as easly grab your baton which can be used to apply a choke. Or OC spray. In fact a decent attacker would train to keep your pistol in the holster while he gains control of your dominant hand/arm then works the attack. I can think of two different methods that would prevent a pistol from being drawn while I apply a choke hold. Point is don't depend on your holster rely on training.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Forum Member
    Uh, well, technically correct I suppose. If you don't bother to learn how it works, then yes, it will.

There's an almost magical process called "training" that will help you overcome that, though. You won't even think about twisting/rocking/clapping/rotating/dunking in warm water twice/full nelson/switch hands/tug up twice on your level IX holster once you get used to it.

Side not, I hated my hooded holster when I first got it. HATED it. Much preferred the snap n twist of my old one. Now I probably wouldn't be able to get a snap n twist to work and the hooded is totally second nature.

Forum Member

I USED to think a snap and draw holster was enough and that a level 2 or 3+ holster required too much screwing around until I actually trained with and began using one. I, like many officers, have a Safariland level 3 rotating hood model and would hate to go back to working with anything else. The locking devices aren't anything that requires movements outside a normal draw but make it hard as hell for anyone who doesn't know how it works to make a sucessful weapon grab. I will also say that I can draw with my level 3 and put 2 shots on target faster than I could with the old snap holsters. Plenty of draws when it was hitting the fan and my weapon made it to my hand without me knowing.

nom de plume

I dislike the hood design becuase it prevents correct grip on the draw. The design covers up the area that my thumb would naturally sit. That said I find the design great for patrol. Going to buy the spacer kit to sit the holster out from my belt and them file down the holster.

nom de plume

Page 1 of 3 123 Last