Page 1 of 43 123411 ... Last

Thread: TSA-Buffalo

Forum Member

TSA-Buffalo aka JFK

Applied and took the CBT testing couple weeks ago. Just got the email for the contigent offer. I'm going to accept it but from all the stories I have heard about working for the TSA, I'm alittle standoff-ish going through the whole process. That and leaving my current job would be a huge risk given the economy being in the crapper at the moment.

Any work able to shed some light on being a TSO? Is it as bad or good as some people make it out to be? How is the pay band and are promotions given throughout the year based on performance or time served?

I really want to get into my career feild finally, but theres something about the TSA and stories from others that I'm just "meh" about.
    Last edited by Caiman; 03-14-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Forum Member

You can't go wrong with a gov job during a recession.
    Last edited by NYCQueens; 06-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member

Test was ok, alittle different than what I'm used to take for police departments though. Don't know my score though but I did pass. I have to call the Helpdesk as I dont have a login for their dashboard site. Not sure if there is a physical or not.

DENIED!
    Dont forget you must requalify every year with the xray machine, pat downs and explosive detection machines. If you FAIL once, you get a make up, fail that and you are fired.

Overall a good stepping stone job. At least it will build time for you in the FED GOVT for future fed jobs.

I say go for it, if you can.

Forum Member

I used to work at Buffalo for TSA second shift part time. There is a lot of negativity about TSA out there but I have to say I had a great experience working there. It kind of sucks having to start out part time for about a year before you can be full time. And the hours kind of suck after that. You either work 4:30-12:30 or 12:30 to 8:30. I never worked first shift but each shift hated each other. The first shift people were kind of strict and by the book whereas the second shifters used common sense and people had a better sense of humor which made the day easier. You usually work three days at check point and two down in baggage. Although that may be different now that they installed the new baggage system downstairs which was supposed to need less people. I heard it was a mess though and they had problems with it. The benefits are very good and promotions can happen fast. There are many opportunities to work collateral duty doing something else to get you off the checkpoint. I was able to do this only 9 months into the job. There is some opportunity for overtime as well. Any other questions just let me know

Forum Member
    i too took the tsa test and did accept the contingent offer..i sent out my 2811 and 2812 forms and sent out my e86 but still have not been called for the airport assessment....they received my app on 7/20/09 so its approaching the 7th month...such a long process

Forum Member

caiman how long did your process take?
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member

I took the exam just over the wkend. When I got home after the exam, I just randomly checked my email..they sent me the contigent offer..i accept it..now im just waiting for next process..I hope it doesnt take as long as CBP..
    TSU - 8/28/09
    TO - 3/2009
    On the job

Forum Member

This for JFK?
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member

I took it aswell and received the contingent offer for JFK. I haven't accepted yet because I am not sure of the pay and Cablevision offered me a gig aswell on the same day.

I know the pay grade is D, but D is like $30,000 a year to start. But is that $30,000 for part time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I called the (877)872-7992 number and nobody ever answers.
    Impact Queens South

Right place, Right time or Wrong place, Wrong time

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by js2487 View Post
    How often do they test?
    all the time.
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strength&Honor View Post
    I took it aswell and received the contingent offer for JFK. I haven't accepted yet because I am not sure of the pay and Cablevision offered me a gig aswell on the same day.

I know the pay grade is D, but D is like $30,000 a year to start. But is that $30,000 for part time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I called the (877)872-7992 number and nobody ever answers.
    You have to also factor in the 28-29% locality pay. I believe its like 34k starting full time in JFK. I might do it a while i wait for the NYPD, which could be several more years. I have a good job now, with better pay, but i need to buy a new car if I continue here. I think it will be worth it to take the pay downgrade but save a **** load on car payments, insurance and gas and just take public transportation to jfk. Plus who knows, maybe there is a future in this. I mean as a TSO with promotions you can move all the way up to I band right?

D $25,141 $37,711
    E $28,869 $43,357
    F $33,130 $49,748
    G $38,776 $60,081
    H $47,298 $73,291
    I $57,631 $89,376

and that's with out locality pay. Not too bad at all.

That's the new uniform btw.
    Last edited by NYCQueens; 02-02-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member
    Great post NYCQueens, you shed a lot of light on this position with the graphics and whatnot. I have the CBT this week.

Forum Member

The pay grade isn't great, but it could be worse.

But the thing is, it is part time for the first year. So thats like $20,000 including overtime the first year, but that is only part time. You could do something else on the side to make up some of the money. Benefits are paid out of pocket. You are a sworn officer , but no arrest rights. You are also on call when off duty to fill in for fulltimers who bang out. So that could be ok to collect some extra hours.

I know the test, that we passed is good for 24 months. I am going to accept the offer and see which job pans out better.

Waiting for the NYPD could make you go broke these days.
    Impact Queens South

Right place, Right time or Wrong place, Wrong time

Forum Member

Hello everyone, I also applied for the TSA on January 2010. I passed the CBT test, accepted the contingent offer, and I sent the credit and background check forms as well. All of that steps/process were done really fast. I've been waiting for the credit check since Jan. 25.

Good Luck to All...

Forum Member

Hey I also took the test back in Oct. I passed it. It was said to wait for an email within a week and nothing, I called in, and she said they had sent an email. Then she said would you like to accept the contingent offer? I said yes, and received another email with HRaccess account. Here you can check your progress through the candidate dashboard.

BTW, I would suggest to call in every 2-3 weeks because I called 2 weeks ago, and they said I did not accept the contingent offer when I did two months ago over the phone, now it went through with no problem and I am waiting for the next process which is airport assessment.

Pay isn't great but it is a gov't job and is your foot in the door if the nypd does not go through. So we'll see...
    NYPD Exam # 6093
    List #: 15xx
    Medical: Jan 6th 2010 (Passed)
    Mini Medical: Jan 6th 2010 (not sure yet)
    Meet with BI: ???
    Written psychological: Jan 12th 2010
    Oral psychological: Jan 14th 2010
    JST: Jan 11th 2010 (passed 2:39)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCQueens View Post
    caiman how long did your process take?
    I applied in April or May 2009 and got the email for the CBT test in beginning of January. I had received an email for the contingent offer that night as well. I said I would accept the offer but if it really is only part time to start, I may pass because I wont be able to afford my bills on part time pay.

Great info guys, thanks!

Forum Member
    i got the contingent offer 5 mins after i walked out of the test

Forum Member

I scheduled a test for this week.
    Last edited by NYCQueens; 02-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by js2487 View Post
    Are the announcments on usajobs? Didnt see anything...just assuming it means there are no openings but thats where it would be?
    Yeah keep checking usa jobs. When the one i applied for was posted it only had a 2 day window of applications.
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Forum Member
    they just had one for jfk a few days ago..i am on usajobs.gov everyday

Forum Member

Hey NYCQueens,
    Good luck on your coming exam... for all of those taking the CBT test, if you haven't seen a X-ray image screen of a baggage, then you better get familiarize with them, as you might know thats going to be part of the test. one day before i took my test, i did a research online, and i couldn't find any specific material to study about X-ray baggage screening, i just found this couple of videos, and readings. (I think they were helpful, even though you dont need to study for this test, but it makes you more confident).

Go here, just do a quick review of the images:

VIDEOS:
    - http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...assetType=film
    - http://footage.shutterstock.com/video.html?id=631549
    - http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...assetType=film

READINGS:
    - http://imaging.utk.edu/publications/...se_project.pdf
    http://www.psychologie.uzh.ch/fachri...et-al_2009.pdf
    - http://www.viaproject.eu/doc/Report_WP6.pdf

Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by EASF; 02-03-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: wrong URL.

Forum Member
    All I can say to anyone becoming a TSA Agent is please be respectful of the flight crews. I am not saying that anybody on here will have that problem but being a airline pilot and having to deal with the TSA on a daily basis I have run into some of them who take there job with a power trip and have made my day as well as others very long for no reason than to stop me from going to work. Just remember that if you treat the flight crews with respect we will in turn treat you with respect. I am not trying to harp but its happen to me several times and it can be a job ender if you push the right buttons. Good luck to everyone who is applying I hope you get on the job. BTW there should be no physical exam for the TSA. Good Luck

Forum Member
    whoever is taking the CBT don't sweat it its not bad at all. x-ray is a little tricky but you should do fine

Forum Member

What is this about not being able to bring a cell phone to the testing place that the guy told me on the phone?
    Currently Being Ignored:
    Bearcat357
    asullivan

Page 1 of 43 123411 ... Last