Civillian

Police or Sheriff?

No, this isn't about which is better or anything like that.

I was just watching, yep, you know it... COPS..and they were in Cali. The San Bernardino Sheriff's department cars are marked POLICE.

Is that common for sheriff's departments to put police markings on their cars?

Yes, I know in most parts of the country they essentially perform the same function.

In GA, you would never see a sheriff's department refer to themselves as police in that way. They're 2 separate agencies around Atlanta.

Interesting tid bit... have you seen their website? It's the "San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner's Department". Evidently, their sheriff is also the coroner. Surprised their cars don't say that too

Just curious to know if that's common anywhere.

Civillian
    sorry double tap.. see other thread.

Forum Member

Police or Sheriff?

You may want to post this in the California sub-forum. I wouldn't necessarily say it is common across the US, but maybe you mean in California. I have heard of other places in California where the office is Sheriff/Marshal/Coroner/Emergency Management or something similar. I think some places in the past these were separate and they may have merged in some or possibly all places.

As far as the sheriff's office being police, that, too, varies by location and while I wouldn't call it uncommon, it is not all that unusual either in some places. It might have something to do with contract policing in some areas. The city may contract with the sheriff's office for police protection, but one if the "concerns" in some communities is community identity and what not. So, possibly to help with community identity, the sheriff's office will have cars assigned to that contract marked as POLICE with whatever community (or communities) that they contract for.

Of course to further confuse the issue, there are some counties in the US that have BOTH county police AND county sheriff. I think most of those that I have heard of separate police and sheriff duties along the lines of police are more patrolling/investigating, but sheriff duties deal more with prisoners and service of legal process. As far as warrant service goes, I have heard that in either police or sheriff depending on the area. Too confuse the issue even more there are some cities that are independent cities that have a city sheriff's office! (Note, I haven't even discussed constables, yet.)

While that may be more than you wanted to know, I guess the answer is it depends on the specific area.

Former Deputy Sheriff

Jim - Many "independent cities" here in VA have their own separate sheriff's office (Richmond, Norfolk, VA Beach, Fredericksburg, etc.) from their surrounding counties. Then again, I think VA is the only state with cities that are not part of a county. {To add more confusion, there is sometimes an overlap with the sheriff's office that is different from the police departments; such as James City-Williamsburg/Prince William-Manassas/Fairfax City-Fairfax County, etc., etc.}

I suppose each state is different, though. The only place I know of with "POLICE" and "SHERIFF" on the same car was somewhere in Florida - Jacksonville, I think.

Here in VA, we have some sheriff's offices that do law enforcement ("full service" agencies) - often in rural counties or counties that do not have a police department. There are others, however, that mostly do jail work, prisoner transport, courthouse protection, civil process, etc., etc. It varies from place to place.

I've heard of constables in other states - Texas, Pennsylvania, etc., etc.; but never around these parts.

Try a post in one of the state forums.....and you will undoubtedly get plenty of replies.
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 01-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

One Night In Bangkok
    In Florida, Miami-Dade county police are sheriff's deputies. If you were to look at the badge, you will see the sheriff's star imposed on a police badge. Jacksonville sheriff's office is a merged agency of the Duval county sheriff and Jacksonville police. Same as Las Vegas Metro police, a merged Clark county SO and Las Vegas city police.

I think VA Dutch hit the head on the nail with VA.

In Philadelphia, there is a seperate sheriff's office for the county of Philadelphia and is independent of the city police. They mainly handle civil, court security, certain warrant extraditions etc. The city and county borders are the same.

As far as CA is concerned, I think the mix of them being contracted to work for certain cities requires them to use the city name police even though they are deputies.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

Police or Sheriff?

Quote Originally Posted by VA Dutch View Post
    ...Then again, I think VA is the only state with cities that are not part of a county...
    I ran across this last year when I was in Missouri. If I understand it correctly, St. Louis,MO, is an independent city. In fact, here is a link to the city sheriff's office. http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/sheriff/ It is kind of a mundane story how I ran across this. I was at an Army Corps of Engineers Building near Table Rock Lake near Branson and a chart on the wall showed the outline of the various counties in Missouri. Right next to Saint Louis County is the City of Saint Louis. The seceded from St.Louis County in 1876.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis,_Missouri

Forum Member

Many 'Cities' are not part of any county.

Prime example in MD is Baltimore City vs. Baltimore County. Both have different Police, Sheriffs, Courts, Fire Departments, Public Works, etc. If you look on a map though they are very connected, but are completely separate - just trying asking someone from the county if they are from the city, even though most will say their from "Baltimore".

There are also other 'Cities' in MD, albeit much smaller with their own Police and Works departments that generally contract with Sheriff's of the counties. I believe this happens in many locals where towns or cities are small, but are officially 'incorporated' or independent.

Although, one must remember that even if a city and a county share services, politically that does not always make them 'connected' past saving money for both entities combining public services, rather then jurisdictional wise.

Another example on COPS is Pierce County right? I think I've seen uniforms with POLICE and Sheriff mixed on the back. In reality, I figure you can have either logo if Deputies are performing 'Policing' or 'Police' functions.
    Last edited by LochRaven; 01-30-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Forum Member

Not sure what episode it was... but are you sure it wasn't a contract city for SBSD?

Poke'mon Master

Quote Originally Posted by Laidoffdep View Post
    Not sure what episode it was... but are you sure it wasn't a contract city for SBSD?
    It was.......
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Forum Member
    Are you sure it wasn't San Bernardino PD as opposed to SBSO?

A little off-topic, I find it interesting that I often hear people refer to Sheriff's deputies here in SoCal as "hard a**es" or "a**holes."

People seem to prefer dealing with municipal PDs.

I hear it about LASD and RSO especially. It's pretty funny when people find out I want to work for LASD after they've spouted all of that crap. Usually gets followed up by a "I know you won't be an a**shole, though."

Idiots...
    The more you sweat in here, the less you'll bleed on the street. - Plaque at LASD academy

Poke'mon Master

Quote Originally Posted by fstein138 View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't San Bernardino PD as opposed to SBSO?

A little off-topic, I find it interesting that I often hear people refer to Sheriff's deputies here in SoCal as "hard a**es" or "a**holes."

People seem to prefer dealing with municipal PDs.

I hear it about LASD and RSO especially. It's pretty funny when people find out I want to work for LASD after they've spouted all of that crap. Usually gets followed up by a "I know you won't be an a**shole, though."

Idiots...
    I havnt seen an episode with sbpd. We have been on cops for last few months... I'm sure it was either victorville or hesperia. Havnt seen the episode yet. But will in the morning when I get off of work.

Motivator
    Quote Originally Posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
    I havnt seen an episode with sbpd. We have been on cops for last few months... I'm sure it was either victorville or hesperia. Havnt seen the episode yet. But will in the morning when I get off of work.
    You are correct, it was Victorville.

To the OP, as others have stated, it is how they mark their vehicles. They are contracted out. San Bernardino does it for other cities as well. Yucca Valley, CA and Twentynine Palms, CA (both in SBC) also have cars marked respectively.
    Semper Fidelis

5150 CPC

Could've been Apple Valley or Adleanto too. In one of the high desert episodes they drove right by my dad's house
    Whatever hits the fan, will not be evenly distributed.
    Some minds are like concrete...Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    01 CVPI - Former OKCPD gang unit #0113129
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3037005
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/russrad25/6c.jpg http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...4-832889-1.jpg
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

Poke'mon Master

Quote Originally Posted by Russrad25 View Post
    Could've been Apple Valley or Adleanto too. In one of the high desert episodes they drove right by my dad's house
    Twa's vv......

It's Complicated
    From the other thread

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139594

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    On tonight's (1-30-10) COPS they showed a SBSO deputy driving a car marked POLICE. On the front door in front of the word Police was City Seal (I think I saw Victorville). Then on the back quarter panel was a SBSO sheriffs star decal.

Earlier they were in I think Palm Beach Co FL................in that one there was a marked Sheriff's dept car with a "City of XXXXXX )I never saw the full city name) on the rear quarter panel.

Both places the deputies were in County Uniforms.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.