Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Catching Burglars

I work the day shift in a very crime ridden part of my city. For the last 4 months or so another officer and I have been assigned to a burglary detail to try and have an impact on the rash of home break-ins that have plagued our district. We travel in an un-marked Ford Taurus and respond to BIP calls and investigate any suspicious people. We've been pretty lucky/successful so far and have caught about 16 guys. We concentrate our patrol in the most active areas but we can't get out and search the back of every house all day. With us being in the northeast, snow covered sidewalks give us footprints but they only take us so far. Are there any tips and tricks anyone has out there that could make us more effective?

In the Evil Village...

Watch for the look out man standing aimlessly in front of a house on his cell phone.

Print out a list of guys on parole/probation for burglary and do regular searches at their house. That lets them know somone is watching.

Ped stop the solicitors in the neighborhood too. It is amazing how many of them are criminals working under the cover of being a solicitor.

Forum Member

Don't travel in a car, get out on foot.

Forum Member

Were doing the same thing down here in Texas at my dept. Go snatch up all your burglars with outstanding warrants. Compile a list of all your known burglars on your district, what they drive, where they stay, what they eat for breakfast...ect..ect.. Then get all up in their business.....

Sheepdog
    ^^^^Somebody beat me to it.....^^^^
    Use all available databases. See who's in jail, who's out. Maybe coordinate with the jail for notifications in burglar releases to your area. Become friendly with your parole/probation guys too. They are a wealth of knowledge.
    Get friendly with your pawn shops or jewelry stores that buy jewelry.
    Check prior m.o.'s of your frequent flyer burglars, look for similiar patterns.
    Lastly, know your drug locations/methadone clinics/heroin/meth spots...

I love this kind of work. Working burg details can be fun. Especially when you've id'd an active subject and get to follow him.
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

Forum Member
    Ped stops. Car stops. All day, all night.

Forum Member
    Figure out what is being stolen... In our area teen gang members tend to do the burglaries and street robberies.

For the BFMV's, its mostly the base heads.
    Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Zam
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marty33 View Post
    Watch for the look out man standing aimlessly in front of a house on his cell phone.

Print out a list of guys on parole/probation for burglary and do regular searches at their house. That lets them know somone is watching.

Ped stop the solicitors in the neighborhood too. It is amazing how many of them are criminals working under the cover of being a solicitor.
    Especially solicitors who "work for an alarm company" going house-to-house conducting "surveys."

Forum Member
    Talk to the security officers / guards in the area too. If you have any. They can keep an eye on things in their respective areas and could be good sources of information. I had one help me catch a burglarer and another one gave me information on dope dealers which lead to arrests.
    I know there are some shady ones out there but still some are professional and do like to help law enforcement when threy can.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

10-8 FER SHIFT
    Gosh, If I were to list the one crime that ****es me off the most, burgs would have to be on my top ten list. They are so intrusive in nature. This is a great thread and I hope to hear more comments...I don't work a big city, I work a rural county but we still have a fair share of burgs. Interesting topic.

Forum Member

I hate burglars the most because I hate people the steal from hard working people. Make a boatload of warrant arrests. Download all the felony warrants for burglary and theft in your area. Either yourself or detectives question each subject after an arrest. All get to know your dopers and dope houses in the area. Where there is dopers their are burglars. Especially here in AZ, I have never known a tweeker who does not have a theft or burglar conviction on his record.

One Man Force Multiplier
    Does NY have a law prohibiting someone from being under the influence of a controlled substance? We do in CA (11550 H&S) and it works wonders. Do a few little DAR evals, snatch up some tweakers for 11-5, watch the property crime rate plummet

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive Hunter View Post
    I hate burglars the most because I hate people the steal from hard working people. Make a boatload of warrant arrests. Download all the felony warrants for burglary and theft in your area. Either yourself or detectives question each subject after an arrest. All get to know your dopers and dope houses in the area. Where there is dopers their are burglars. Especially here in AZ, I have never known a tweeker who does not have a theft or burglar conviction on his record.
    I like to spend most of my time in those areas and they're ussually the areas I first check when a BOLO is given.
    President Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

everybody remember that this is an open forum. just be careful about what information we divulge!! be safe guys

Forum Member

I know you work days and the majority of residental burgs happen then, but for us who work graves deal with the vehicle burgs. I drive blacked out 5 mph or slower with all my windows down in res tracks. I also drive right next to the curb (so i look like a parked veh from farther away). I caught someone burging a veh when I heard a window shatter. I parked got out and caught the guy with the tire iron, which he used to break the window, still in his hand. The look on his face was priceless.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feb2nd1979 View Post
    I know you work days and the majority of residental burgs happen then, but for us who work graves deal with the vehicle burgs. I drive blacked out 5 mph or slower with all my windows down in res tracks. I also drive right next to the curb (so i look like a parked veh from farther away). I caught someone burging a veh when I heard a window shatter. I parked got out and caught the guy with the tire iron, which he used to break the window, still in his hand. The look on his face was priceless.
    That look is awsome!
    President Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    I appreciate all the tips and I will definitely add them to my tactics as I am patrolling. We recently grabbed up, on 2 occasions, guys walking in broad daylight with Flat screen TVs into yards and on residential streets that they had just taken from houses. One occasion was an alert neighbor and the other was just good observation and luck. What we are finding is that these guys are just pawning the stuff off to get cash to live. Why bother getting a job and earning it when you get benefits from the government and quick cash from a stolen laptop?

MCLMM
    If you have school cops get with them. Alot of kids or skipping school and doing burgs.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Forum Member
    People posing as census workers are a threat....just be aware of them. In my area I've gotten with the people that belong in the neighborhood (FEDEX, UPS drivers, Postal, bus drivers etc ) and advised them to call 911 if they see anything out of the ordinary. Also patrol as much as possible. If I have paperwork, I sit in my high Burglary areas to complete it, eat lunch in my car patrolling those areas, when driving I have the windows down and radio off so I can hear things--dogs barking, etc. (yes it's cold doing that) vary the times you patrol so you're not predictable. See if Crime analysis folks can give you ideas as to times a day, days of the week that they occur---is there a pattern? Just a few thoughts.
    Great thread, I'm taking notes on some excellent suggestions..................
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 01-21-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added something
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Forum Member

Document! While on traffic and ped stops, document everything. What the person is wearing, who they are with, where they are going, what they are driving, whats in the car, etc.. Sounds like a lot but a lot of times witness just give you descriptions such as two guys with all black (go figure) in a white van. Its amazing how often that little clue will ring a bell if you are paying attention to who is in which vehicles in which area!

Forum Member
    Do not have anything to add. Just wanted to say the thread offers alot of good advice. Now off to hook some burglers.

Senior Veteran
    Compile a list of recent car thefts, this will continually turn over, most of ours are conducted with stolen cars. You may see those rolling prior to or after the burgs.

We have a few areas getting hammered, now the people are calling in on about everything the least bit suspicious, finally. Educate the citizens in your area on what to look for, so they can be extra eyes and ears.
    Do your best, do what is right, win the fight, go home.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    -whoever the hell said it and however the hell it was said

Billygoats will again rule the world!

http://www.indy.gov/EGOV/IMPD/Pages/home.aspx
    www.humanclock.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/dogs_of_war/900868

Forum Member

I picked up a book off of Ebay entitled " Burglary For The Patrol Officer" by Wesley Harris. Kind of dated but still worth the money.

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseman12ic View Post
    Document! While on traffic and ped stops, document everything. What the person is wearing, who they are with, where they are going, what they are driving, whats in the car, etc.. Sounds like a lot but a lot of times witness just give you descriptions such as two guys with all black (go figure) in a white van. Its amazing how often that little clue will ring a bell if you are paying attention to who is in which vehicles in which area!
    +1000.

I'm now a detective working primarily property crime and I spend alot of time going over traffic and ped contacts made by patrol officers. Good documentation can be a huge tip that leads to breaking a case wide open.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member
    I never was able to catch residential burglars but I caught a few commercial burglars. You can often drive around, or readily walk around commercial structures, but residences... Who's going to get out of their car and randomly roam around people's backyards? I'm sure as heck not.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last