Page 2 of 18 First 1234512 ... Last
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NYC Environmental Police Officer

  1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Yessum1 View Post
    I took test 1308, scored very well, top 10 on the list....how long can I expect to wait?
    Considering they just laid-off many officers, probably a very long time.

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    9
    really....when?

  3. #28
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    133
    We did? I am loosing sinority? Really?


    Never laid anyone off. Prior to the economy taking a nose dive, the atrition rate was high. The levels now are what was the previous cap due to the total amount of employees in the BWS. We have recently become our own dividion in DEP and from what I hear, the cap is much higher or non-existing.

    I believe DEC laid off some Forest Rangers or EnCon Officers (maybe), but they have been laying off civilian positions.

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17
    Just took the test in April...would anyone mind sharing what kind of wait time they went through or what can be expected for a wait?

    Thanks
    NYPD Exam 1315: 9x.x
    NYC DEP Exam: 1319: 9x.x
    FAM: COE

  5. #30
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    693
    Any updates, guys? I've got an appointment tomorrow for Medical/Physical over in Lefrak. Exam 0307

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    27
    I have the medical/physical too at Lefrak...I have to go on Fri the 15th...can anyone give me an idea of what to expect there? What sort of thing will we have to do for medical? just eye/hearing test etc and how does the physical test work? Thanks hope to hear you guys

  7. #32
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    693
    Hearing, vision, EKG, drug test and whole bunch of paperwork. Then a doctor will give you the once over. Get there early, listen to directions and definitely plan on being there for the full 8 hours. There is parking right next door @ 5918 Junction Blvd. $17 for the day. Good luck.

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    27
    ok cool thanks...so there is no physical test? they say on the paper i got in the mail that they are testing medical and physical...but I didnt think they could so that at Lefrak so was curious, I did the NYPD medical there...and is the drug test the same as NYPD with hair sample I guess?? I hate giving blood lol...

  9. #34
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    693
    It's a "medical" wherein they check your hearing, vision, heart and they drug test you. The "physical" portion is when the doc checks you out. If you pass everything on that day, you'll be scheduled for the JST (physical agility test) and the psych.
    BNWS likes this.

  10. #35
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    27
    oh ok i understand thanks...and is drug test same as NYPD with hair follicle samples?

  11. #36
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    242
    I'm considering taking the test, is the union still trying to get the line of duty benefit and a pay increase?

  12. #37
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
    I'm considering taking the test, is the union still trying to get the line of duty benefit and a pay increase?
    Yes, the union is fighting hard and the decision should be coming out soon...

  13. #38
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS10566 View Post
    Yes, the union is fighting hard and the decision should be coming out soon...
    Nice, hopefully they start hiring soon.
    Last edited by SHINYBADGE; 11-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
    Nice, hopefully they start hiring soon.
    They actually just hired and have a academy going right now. I also think they plan to run another academy right after this one gets finished, take the test as soon as you can if you have any interest of getting on. Then once you get your score back make sure you pursue it and stay on top of DCAS and investigator, this can help with not falling through the "cracks" which seems to happen a lot with this exam based on what I read from others on here.

  15. #40
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS10566 View Post
    They actually just hired and have a academy going right now. I also think they plan to run another academy right after this one gets finished, take the test as soon as you can if you have any interest of getting on. Then once you get your score back make sure you pursue it and stay on top of DCAS and investigator, this can help with not falling through the "cracks" which seems to happen a lot with this exam based on what I read from others on here.
    Thank you very much for this advice, I will take the exam and and wait to get called.

  16. #41
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    85
    Has DEP ever done back to back academies? have they ever had two classes going (day/night session) to hire a larger group or is it typically 30-40 hires per academy?

  17. #42
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT721 View Post
    Has DEP ever done back to back academies? have they ever had two classes going (day/night session) to hire a larger group or is it typically 30-40 hires per academy?
    DEP PD did the last 2 graduating academies back to back. They typically only hire in the 30-40 range and can be a lot less depending on man power needs. As for the day/night session with such small academy classes there is no need to burn all the OT and man power the would need to run that. It's easier on the dept. to run back to back.

  18. #43
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    85
    Gotcha. Thanks for the response

  19. #44
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    242
    What is an average day with DEP, do you collar often? Would you say it's less stressful than the NYPD? good morale within the department?

    Edit: Also I herd that DEP doesn't have "Uniform Status" what does this mean? Srry, but I'm a noob at this.
    Last edited by SHINYBADGE; 11-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.

  20. #45
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
    What is an average day with DEP, do you collar often? Would you say it's less stressful than the NYPD? good morale within the department?

    Edit: Also I herd that DEP doesn't have "Uniform Status" what does this mean? Srry, but I'm a noob at this.
    DEP Police is very much like the MTA Police except protecting the water supply instead of the transit system. It's a hell of a lot less stressful then NYPD and you can make a collar but not anywhere comparable to NYPD. As for morale in the department it's as best as it can be while this contract issue is being worked out. As for not having "Uniform Status" this means in short no line of duty and unlimited sick. Which hopefully will be changing shortly and then lead to be able to get a retirement similar to local PD's. There is much more to it but that's the simplest answer with dragging it on and on.

  21. #46
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS10566 View Post
    DEP Police is very much like the MTA Police except protecting the water supply instead of the transit system. It's a hell of a lot less stressful then NYPD and you can make a collar but not anywhere comparable to NYPD. As for morale in the department it's as best as it can be while this contract issue is being worked out. As for not having "Uniform Status" this means in short no line of duty and unlimited sick. Which hopefully will be changing shortly and then lead to be able to get a retirement similar to local PD's. There is much more to it but that's the simplest answer with dragging it on and on.
    Ok, thanks I'm going to take this exam.

  22. #47
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    315
    I believe I am going to take this exam tomorrow. Doesn't hurt to take the exam.

    Hoping they work something out in regards to the benefits and pay, as below $30,000 is pretty poor.
    NYPD
    Exam: 2311 List 6XX
    Medical: February 2014 Complete
    Written Psych: February 2014 Complete
    Oral Psych: February 2014 Complete
    BI Meeting: March 2014 Complete
    JST: March 2014 Complete
    Mini-Medical: May 2014 Complete
    Resident Check: June 2014 Complete

    July 2014 Class. Got the Call 7/6/14

  23. #48
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    315

    Question

    Is there a certain point in the process that you have to commit to this agency?

    In other words, say you have applied for other agencies (NYPD etc) when do you need to let the DEP Police know your decision?
    Last edited by HPHopeful87; 11-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    NYPD
    Exam: 2311 List 6XX
    Medical: February 2014 Complete
    Written Psych: February 2014 Complete
    Oral Psych: February 2014 Complete
    BI Meeting: March 2014 Complete
    JST: March 2014 Complete
    Mini-Medical: May 2014 Complete
    Resident Check: June 2014 Complete

    July 2014 Class. Got the Call 7/6/14

  24. #49
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by HPHopeful87 View Post
    Is there a certain point in the process that you have to commit to this agency?

    In other words, say you have applied for other agencies (NYPD etc) when do you need to let the DEP Police know your decision?
    If I understand what your asking you can apply for any agency you want and process for DEP Police and then at the end of the process you may get ask if hired will you stay on for 2 years or something like that. But as far as I know there is no contract you sign.
    If that's not what you mean let me know...

  25. #50
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    315
    Yup that answers my question, thanks!

    I just wanted to make sure I wasn't committed to an agency after the exam while going through the process.

    I guess it is best to just apply to as many agencies as possible.
    NYPD
    Exam: 2311 List 6XX
    Medical: February 2014 Complete
    Written Psych: February 2014 Complete
    Oral Psych: February 2014 Complete
    BI Meeting: March 2014 Complete
    JST: March 2014 Complete
    Mini-Medical: May 2014 Complete
    Resident Check: June 2014 Complete

    July 2014 Class. Got the Call 7/6/14

Page 2 of 18 First 1234512 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register