X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawtac
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2009

officer involved shootings?

So far, in 2009, there have been 112 LODD's. This is down from 138 in 2008. I found this on the ODMP. My question is... where can I find information on the # of OIS for this year and previous years? I believe that just here in Arkansas the OIS have increased dramatically this year. FT. Smith just had another one yesterday, the 4th this year. Fayetteville had one yesterday too. Hot Springs, Garland County, Little Rock, Polk County, Pike County, Montgomery County, Sebastian County..its seems like it's happening every couple of days here. Anyone know where we can get some data on it? Has anyone else notice an increase? Anyone got any theories on the reason(s) for the increase (if in fact there has been one)?
  • pulicords
    "Retired"
    • Jan 2006

I don't believe there is any centralized data collection on OIS incidents, nationwide. If there was, it would have to include:
    1) Incidents where suspects were fatally hit.
    2) Incidents where suspects were wounded, non-fatal.
    3) Incidents where suspects were shot at, but missed.

Although suspect fatalities are included in the FBI's annual "homicide" statistics (I believe under "justifiable"), the other info isn't tracked through DOJ.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• LA DEP
      Molon Labe
      • Dec 2007

Ours seem to come in groups.....the LA area seems to average 2-3 OIS a week as it is......there have been at least 2 full on shootouts this week in the area.....
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• Smurfette_76
        Verbal Sniper
        • Jan 2007

I'm not aware of any stat tracking the number of OIS.
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

• LE2BE
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by LA DEP
          Ours seem to come in groups.....the LA area seems to average 2-3 OIS a week as it is......there have been at least 2 full on shootouts this week in the area.....
          Same for us... in South LA... OIS's just seem to be way up.
          Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

• SgtCHP
            Retired Sergeant - CHP
            • Nov 2006

The FBI maintains statistics for OIS but it is always for the preceding year or two.

Here is a study that was done for the NYPD and shows trends; however, I am unaware of any updates.

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

• PtlCop
              OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
              • Apr 2009

The FBI tracks them...
              Originally posted by K40
              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12212 users online. 74 members and 12138 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...