Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sorry bud... aint happening

Today while I was on patrol I got dispatched to a motor vehicle accident. When I got on scene the cars were blocking traffic in the intersection but were driveable. I had them move to a parking lot of a restaraunt near-by. I got the information from the drivers and began to work up a traffic accident report.
    After a few minutes I see a guy come out of the restaraunt. He comes right up to my car door. I get out of my car (because I never talk to people while I am sitting in my car)... He asks what I am doing... I tell him I am doing an accident report for these cars. He tells me he is the manager for the restaraunt and his lot is for customers only... He did not advise me of this politely...
    I told him I am only going to be a few minutes and would move along... (sidenote: several other parking spots available, not even lunch time!) He then tells me to move the cars unless they are customers... he then stands looking at me impatiently... After a few more back and forths with him I advised him the cars were going to stay in the spots until I was done, if he did not approve he could speak to a supervisor and file a complaint on me... I gave him my busines card. He continued to want to argue awhile but eventually went inside....
    Sure enough later in the morning I was called to the supervisors office regarding a complaint filed on me.... lol... I told him what happened and he was going to watch to my video of the conversation...
    Anyone had a similar expierience? Guess I can add that restaraunt to the places I cant go eat....
    Retired 02/01/13

Forum Member
    What a dick!
    I went on a ride-along once and saw the same thing happen during a traffic stop where the car turned into an apt complex parking lot. It was blocking one of the entrances. Some d-bag resident started mouthing off and was told he'd be handcuffed if he didn't leave.
    The other night I was blocked in by patrol cars responding to a suspected burglary/prowler in my complex. I patiently waited by my car (mostly spectating). An officer actually came up and asked if I needed to get out and moved the car for me. I never would have even asked, so that was more than courteous.

SOI
    It's times like that I really enjoy being a supervisor. While you are polite but firm with people like this, I get to give them real reality checks when they come in to complain and explain how the real world works. Of course that usually leads to further complaints on me, but it's worth it. Hell, if I had been on scene and he continued bothering you, I would've told him one time to go back inside or he would've been in a pair of bracelets.

Make sure every officer and their family know of this, and spread the news. Make sure no one you know spends money there ever again. Make sure his name is well known throughout your department. An old Sgt told me once... What goes around, comes around.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Forum Member
    Can you provide the name of the resturaunt and city so I can be sure to never spend a dime there?

Don't want any slander suits, but I'm sure some PMs could be sent to anyone in the AO.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Had something like that happen a few years ago on guard duty at the main gate. Colonel's wife wanted to come on base but her base decal was expired, so I asked her to go see the folks over at the Pass & ID office and they would hook her up with a new one.

She told me that "don't you know who I am"? and all that sort of talk. I said yes I knew who she was but that was the law. She proceeded to call her husband up to the gate to have a talk with me. Meanwhile there is a length of about 20 POV's stacked up behind her. The Colonel shows up and starts cussing me up and down until he finally relented and took his wife up to Pass & ID after I made it known that her car wasn't coming on base without a new sticker

Needless to say I was standing at parade rest in the Msgt's office that evening, he was a little upset until he saw the footage from the gate camera.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasperST View Post
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcop97 View Post
    Anyone had a similar experience? Guess I can add that restaurant to the places I can't go eat....
    If I was a Police Officer I wouldn't eat at any place I couldn't see food prepared wearing a uniform. This would mean a lot of Subway sandwiches.

Forum Member
    Sure did, just last Saturday.

Traffic stop, violator pulls into a parking lot and parks in a parking stall. I contact, then back in the car to run. This lady comes up and the reserve officer who was riding with me starts to roll his window down. I call out, "Hi there, could you wait until I'm done with the traffic stop please?" She starts to go on that, no, she wants me to move because I'm blocking one of the two entrances. I tell her "no ma'am, I can't." She says "but we have clients coming, just move up there." This is a veterinarian's office and "up there" was the parking stall next to the violator. I again say "no ma'am, I can't." She flounces off, begins taking pictures with her cell phone.

I let the Sgt know and sure enough, she calls in to complain. He explains how the real world works...then I spool up the audio on the video. He said I was VERY nice and yay for me (since sometimes I'm...well...not nice.)

StainlessSteve
    Quote Originally Posted by LINY View Post
    If I was a Police Officer I wouldn't eat at any place I couldn't see food prepared wearing a uniform. This would mean a lot of Subway sandwiches.
    I don't think that you have to tell him that LINY. Me on the other hand, I think I'd get some civvie friends to go in there with the mindset that they would find hair in their food X 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jenners View Post
    (since sometimes I'm...well...not nice.)
    Haha, you too? It's a character flaw. Nobody is perfect. I had a guy call in a complaint that I was "intimidating." When asked what I did that was "intimidating" dude says "Well, he got out of his car. He's huge." Some of us just can't win.

"Heavy Hand" of the Law stlcopper's Avatar
    I had something similar happen recently. Made a stop and pulled onto a church parking lot. The pastor comes out and tells me to move both the violator's vehicle and my own because there was a snow plow coming soon to plow the lot.

I explained that I would move as soon as the stop was finished, which should only be a few more minutes. Then the guy proceeds to tell me that it was private property and I would be moving NOW. I informed the good minister that I would be moving when I was good and ready and the only way that this conversation would continue would be on the way to intake after his arrest for interfering...

Guess he didn't feel like being a jailhouse chaplain that night, because he shut his mouth and took off. And there was no complaint. His church isn't in the best neighborhood and I guess he thought we may be reluctant to assist the next time something was occurring on his "private property".
    Last edited by stlcopper; 01-17-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling error
    -If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame-

Forum Member
    At the academy, we had an excise officer come speak and he told us that if we ever had an issue with a bar owner or employee coming out giving us hell during a stop on their property, to give them a call. They'd be more than happy to have a discussion with an alcohol permit holder... Excise officers can search permitees w/o a warrant in Indiana.

At a local thug sports bar/grill that stays open alll night, the manager calls us out when he and his 'security' cant handle a situation. Once we are there he complains about police presence hurting his business. We usually roll in 3 to 5 cars deep because its a place you wouldnt want to go by yourself or even with just one other person.
    Last edited by DeputySC; 01-17-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Annoyed, amazed & amused! Kieth M.'s Avatar
    Happens every so often, everywhere, and I don't get why it's usually restaurants managers/owners. Hollywood, on Sunset Blvd near Fairfax, had a spot where a couple was robbed in the parking lot. The officers were taking the report...the manager asked them to not park too near the restaurant. I think we repaid that guy by always pulling right in front of his place to fill out our logs.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Can't say it's ever been a problem here. Might be he just had a burr under his saddle over something?

Nope, not in 31 years of working wrecks and often having them pull into parking lots off the roadway. I always had them pull in and park out of traffic lanes in the parking lot like in spaces or way over in a vacant corner ... which I'm sure you did. Never once had a buisness owner squawk.

I've even used roadside level parking lots to weigh tractor trailers and never had a problem, though I didn't do it unless just no options. I've even had a few pull into one on their own accord for a speeding or overlength ticket, I wrote fast without a lot of talk so as to not be in the way longer than needed.

In the last few years, I have had this one guy at a Food Lion (manager I think, not near the house so it ain't where we shop) twice come out and "ask" if he could help any while I was writing a ticket or several to someone I followed into the lot off the road ...
    ... whom turned out to be a brother once and an employee the other time, I declined his offer both times and he correctly assumed it meant "go on now".

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
    Don't want any slander suits, but I'm sure some PMs could be sent to anyone in the AO.
    Why, I'm sure he's out there running his mouth about you or the police in general so I would slander it up.

I hooked the McDonald's Manager for obstruction, because she wouldnt shut her face hole and leave me alone on a T/S in her lot. Only happened once about 8 years and I make stops daily in their lot. Pled to misd. disorderly conduct. Worked out nice for me. I still eat there on my fat *** cheat days...
    It takes a Wolf.......

Forum Member
    How about the people that roll up and asked directions while you are on your TS. Happens to me all of the time.

Never had it happen to me....I do constantly get people who want to ask me directions when I am on a traffic stop. They even do it at night on a rural highway that runs through town. I have never snapped...yet...but I do politely tell them to patiently wait until I am finished. Some even get attitudes about it like I am some sort of a personal Tom-Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
    How about the people that roll up and asked directions while you are on your TS. Happens to me all of the time.
    What about people that walk between you and the subject of your high-risk stop, look at you like you are an alien from outer space, and walk up to you and 1) ask directions or 2) yell at you for yelling at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

You probably would have been out of there a lot sooner if he didn't freakin bother you
    Next Generation Officer

hell, i don't know why restaurant manager's get so upset.... everyone is always attracted to cop cars... i'd stick a kid out there offering a blue light special.. 2 for 1 drinks

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
    Thats when you quote The Hangover

"Officer do you know where xx is?"

"I do, it's at the corner of get a map and f*** off. I'm a officer, not a tour guide. "

Hey, just a little update... My supervisor watched my video and closed the complaint unfounded right away... the refusal to move the cars was perfectly within my rights, so the complaint then came down to me being "rude and bullyish" to the owner... which I was not at all... I think some people forget we have cameras in our cars when they make these accusations...

Anyway, I rather not mention the location... this is a public forum so I never know who is actually lurking around. Its a newer locally owned joint who will no longer have the support of the local police, fire, ambulance workers in the area...

I am sure we will be first ones he calls when he needs help, wonder if I can park in his lot then

Take care,
    Big COP
    Retired 02/01/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast