Forum Member

Off-duty Capitol police officer shot in Philly tonight.

Off-duty Harrisburg officer shot in West Philadelphia

By Robert Moran and Susan Snyder
    INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

An off-duty Harrisburg police officer was shot tonight inside the crowded lobby of The Bridge theater in West Philadelphia when he tried to stop a masked gunman from robbing the theater, Philadelphia police said.

The gunman also shot a bystander before fleeing the theater at the corner of 40th and Walnut Streets.

Both the 42-year-old Capitol officer and 22-year-old male bystander were in stable condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The officer was shot in the left shoulder and the bystander in the right leg.

The shooting occurred about 7 p.m. after a black male in his 20s entered the theater, hopped over the counter, declared a robbery and started taking money from a register, police said.

Standing in line for tickets, the officer announced he was a policeman and told the gunman to stop. The gunman then fired twice in the direction of the officer.

The officer shot back three times, but police were unsure whether the assailant was hit.

The assailant was last seen fleeing west on Walnut Street.

The theater is closed and Walnut Street blocked off as city police and University of Pennsylvania police work the crime scene.

Forum Member
    WOW this is crazy... Like these streets are getting realer by the minute.

I normally go to this theater with my friends, and family quite often. I will be sticking to Neshaminy for now on. I just have to thank GOD I was not there with my loved ones tonight, and that no one, including that brave Capital Police Officer was hurt.

I just wish those bullets would have hit that robber. Because this creep is out there moving on to the next crime. SMH.

Forum Member

He wasn't a Harrisburg Officer, the hero's a Pa Capitol Police Officer, he worked the state building on 8th Street. The press never get anything right.

Forum Member
    They did list in the article he was a Capital Police Officer.

Forum Member
    That's the wonderful 18th district, you never know what is going to happen.

Forum Member
    What would you say has more activity PPDSWD, 12th or 18th?

Patrullero
    The crowded lobby of a theater is the last place in the world I would want to have a gunfight. It's fortunate that more people weren't injured.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Forum Member
    From the news story I thought at first it might have been one of those guys from the Cheese Steak/Roast Pork Post. If it was I would have treated them for stepping in like that (of course they probably would want to leave town in a hurry after that.)... Wow.... That was something... Hope they will be OK.