Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyCO View Post
    God is Almighty,we need more Christians in Law Enforcement...Officers who will be there for there community,there church, the People.That is what God made Police Officers for,to protect people, and fight the evil deeds of mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkepticAlways View Post
    Why do we need more Christians in law enforcement? Name three reasons specific to Christians.
    why do most Law Enforcement officers/Police officers look at people as trash? I have heard Corrections Officers refer to inmates as Waste,what kind of person are we to say that about someone? are we any better? do we look down on humanity? just because someone does evil deeds? what does that say about us?

I personally witnessed a bunch of Officers cursing, talking about prostitutes,and the only words that come out of there mouth has to deal with Sexual deeds, and wanting to personally beat someone up.I know there are two different kinds of personality's in Law Enforcement, the Officers who want to make a difference or at least try,and protect the people, and the Officers who like to fight,argue with individuals, and enjoy bullying people just because they have a badge.That can make for a dangerous environment for other Officers.

The behavior of a Law Enforcement Officer can say many things to the public,either negative or positive,if Officer (1) is immature and treats people like animals, the Public might have no respect for him,I know there are probably not many Officers like this,most your Officers will abide by Policy and Procedures,Professional attitudes, and have good morals.
    You didn't answer my question.

You've suggested law enforcement needs more Christians...why Christians? What is unique about Christians that makes them suitable for law enforcement work?
    ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

I´d like to make a quick and short comment on faith, the thirteen years on the job in the Bronx I´ve worked with plenty of non believers what I witnessed in hot calls was those silently praying with a cold sweat, call this post B.S. I don´t give a, WELL believe in what ever but at the end their two words if any out of you're mouth ¨Mom and God help me ¨
    Take care and stay safe!
    Ralph8119
    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!

http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

These aren't my pants. BenjaminsDad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by synstsia View Post
    One thing I think everyone can agree with is that ethics and morals in this country have been at an all time low in the last few years- not just from bankers, criminals and politicians, but in the way that we treat each other. Human beings are poor regulators of their own conduct (which is one of the reasons police exist)- people can justify just about anything if it is in the end, in their best interests. The principles in the Bible (yes, if I had to name just one) are an absolute must to get us out of this mess.
    The last few years? I hope you mean the last few thousand years, because humans have been treating each other like crap since the dawn of time. Slavery, segregation, etc used to be accepted. Murder, rape, and robbery have been with us from the beginning. In fact, contrary to what you are saying, violent crime has been going steadily down in the last few years.

Resident Misanthrope BCSD Frank's Avatar
    Well, this might actually change my point of view...

What God Will & Won't Do
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by BCSD Frank View Post
    'LOL' does not adequately describe...

Ralph8119

I must also disagree with your statement about Atheists in foxholes and entries. I have been a Rational Empiricist for at least fifty years, I served two tours in Vietnam as a combat rifleman and LRRP trooper and have almost 38 years on the job. I have never felt the need to believe in any divine power, be it in a fire fight or kicking a door, since even one exception invalidates the statement I guess it isn't true.
    never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkepticAlways View Post
    You didn't answer my question.

You've suggested law enforcement needs more Christians...why Christians? What is unique about Christians that makes them suitable for law enforcement work?

I think we tend to forget that this country and many of its laws are in fact based on Judeo-Christian moral and ethical values. So if you're looking for some explanation as to why Christians would be more apt at enforcing those laws, this seems only logical. That's not by any means stating that people of other faiths wouldn't be as good at enforcing laws or having good morals, but you can't ignore the fact that our constitutional republic is interwoven with the principles set forth by God (specifically Christianity) Andrew Jackson once stated of the Bible that it was "the rock upon which our republic rests.. but then again, I can go on for days from George Washington to George Bush, talking about how men of faith have lived by the word.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminsDad View Post
    The last few years? I hope you mean the last few thousand years, because humans have been treating each other like crap since the dawn of time. Slavery, segregation, etc used to be accepted. Murder, rape, and robbery have been with us from the beginning. In fact, contrary to what you are saying, violent crime has been going steadily down in the last few years.
    When did I state anything about violent crime? Most of what's been going on recently (wall street, housing market, cheating politicians) are all 'white collar crimes' against our ethical and moral fabric. This is just as bad in my book.

On the other hand, you are correct that violent crime has been around since the dawn of time.. we're not re-inventing any wheels here. But what makes murder, rape and slavery unacceptable? It certainly wasn't just some epiphony we had one day that these are wrong. I submit, at least in this country, that the Bible has been the greatest tool against such evil and is the basis for our civilized nation.

I think we tend to forget that this country and many of its laws are in fact based on Judeo-Christian moral and ethical values. So if you're looking for some explanation as to why Christians would be more apt at enforcing those laws, this seems only logical. That's not by any means stating that people of other faiths wouldn't be as good at enforcing laws or having good morals, but you can't ignore the fact that our constitutional republic is interwoven with the principles set forth by God (specifically Christianity) Andrew Jackson once stated of the Bible that it was "the rock upon which our republic rests.. but then again, I can go on for days from George Washington to George Bush, talking about how men of faith have lived by the word.
    Actually, it's NOT true that our laws are based on religion. We have the same type of laws that exist in some form or fashion all over the world; to include nations and tribes with no concept of a "Christian" God.

The thing about basing your arguement on religion is it can never really be on fact only faith. Faith is a fluid concept and unique to an individual. To pretend that being Christian makes you one step above others (regardless of their faith or lack thereof) is not only contradictory to the religion itself, but it's smacks of arogance.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    Actually, it's NOT true that our laws are based on religion. We have the same type of laws that exist in some form or fashion all over the world; to include nations and tribes with no concept of a "Christian" God.

America is one of the greatest nations on this planet- we have enjoyed an unprecendented success and are now the worlds longest ongoing constitutional republics. It would be simplistic to compare us to other tribes or nations because we are unique. The constitution, for which our laws are based was written by an assembly of fifty five Americans that began each session with a prayer for God's guidance and wisdom. I'm not making this up- this is a documented fact. James Madison, one of the principal drafters of the Constitution stated "Without the intervention of God there never would have been a Constitution".. John Adams further stated "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religous people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other" For even further proof to quench any disbelief that our country was not founded on the basis of Judeo-Christian tenet, all thirteen of the original state constitutions refer to "Almighty God" as the author of liberty or declare "reliance upon the hand and mercy of Providence"

We have the unique privilege of knowing exactly how our nation was founded and on what moral and ethical principals that foundation is based. Our past should be giving focus to our future- we shouldn't disavow our history for the sake of political correctness. The principles in the Bible for which our nation is in fact based should not be deemed as irrelevent, for we need them more than ever.
    Last edited by synstsia; 01-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Forum Member
    The constitution, for which our laws are based was written by an assembly of fifty five Americans that began each session with a prayer for God's guidance and wisdom. I'm not making this up- this is a documented fact. James Madison, one of the principal drafters of the Constitution stated "Without the intervention of God there never would have been a Constitution".. John Adams further stated "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religous people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other" For even further proof to quench any disbelief that our country was not founded on the basis of Judeo-Christian tenet, all thirteen of the original state constitutions refer to "Almighty God" as the author of liberty or declare "reliance upon the hand and mercy of Providence"
    The Treaty of Tripoli
    Signed by John Adams – As the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims] ... it is declared ... that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever product an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries....
    "The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation."
    -- Treaty of Tripoli (1797), carried unanimously by the Senate and signed into law by John Adams (the original language is by Joel Barlow, US Consul)

....several of the first presidents, including Jefferson and Madison, generally refused to issue public prayers, despite importunings to do so. Under pressure, Madison relented in the War Of 1812, but held to his belief that chaplains shouldn't be appointed to the military or be allowed to open Congress. [Richard Shenkman, I Love Paul Revere, Whether He Rode Or Not]
    Can a free government possibly exist with the Roman Catholic religion?
    -- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, May 19, 1821, from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

We have the unique privilege of knowing exactly how our nation was founded and on what moral and ethical principals that foundation is based. Our past should be giving focus to our future- we shouldn't disavow our history for the sake of political correctness. The principles in the Bible for which our nation is in fact based should not be deemed as irrelevent, for we need them more than ever.
    How so? The basic laws everyone speaks of have been around far longer than Christianity. I don’t need a bible to know that stealing, murder, rape etc is wrong. Besides the bible is a horrible example of morals as a whole.

However you want to look at it, I don’t give a rip what god Thomas Jefferson prayed to, or what King George thought of the heavens. It doesn’t matter. If they were successful politicians and lawmakers then great, but leave the mythology out of it.

A decent article. http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050221/allen

America is one of the greatest nations on this planet- we have enjoyed an unprecendented success and are now the worlds longest ongoing constitutional republics. It would be simplistic to compare us to other tribes or nations because we are unique. The constitution, for which our laws are based was written by an assembly of fifty five Americans that began each session with a prayer for God's guidance and wisdom. I'm not making this up- this is a documented fact. James Madison, one of the principal drafters of the Constitution stated "Without the intervention of God there never would have been a Constitution".. John Adams further stated "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religous people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other" For even further proof to quench any disbelief that our country was not founded on the basis of Judeo-Christian tenet, all thirteen of the original state constitutions refer to "Almighty God" as the author of liberty or declare "reliance upon the hand and mercy of Providence"

I wasn't comparing us to nations or tribes. You missed the point. Let me try again. Laws, such as murder, rape, robbery are "wrong" in societies that don't even have written languages, those that don't know anything about the God that Christians believe in. Those are not concepts invented by this country nor is it about Christianity. Morality isn't defined by a specific religion. Legality isn't a Christian invention. It isn't an invention of those founding father's you're praising. Those founding father who, btw, had illegitimate children and owned slaves. They were reading the same bible and "word" of God that you still read today, no? Woah. Mind blowing concept, isn't it?

Add to that the fact that our "founding fathers" took land and ran off Native Americans that were already here. They killed men, woman, children, civilizations and societies because they didn't understand them; they feared what they didn't understand. They weren't saints so don't confused the issue. This country is great. It is not perfect. We have a very ugly and horrible history of destruction, slavery, domination and repression of other peoples, to include our own.

"Without the intervention of God, there never would have been a Constitution" It doesn't take much to impress you, does it? It took a freaking war and thousands of deaths for us to gain independance. It's more than paper, its a CONCEPT. A concept that is upheld NOT for religious reasons, but for democracy and you shouldn't ever confuse the two. We aren't a democracy due to God...otherwise, why wouldn't the rest of the world be hot on the trail of this democracy? We're a democracy because people died for it and continue to die for it. People bless GOD for things like that to cover up the horrible acts done to achieve it.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brader View Post
    The Treaty of Tripoli

"The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation."
    -- Treaty of Tripoli (1797), carried unanimously by the Senate and signed into law by John Adams (the original language is by Joel Barlow, US Consul)

A decent article. http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050221/allen
    Also a good article regarding the Treaty of Tripoli which does not take article 11 out of context:

http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=125

And actually, many of our laws, much of the foundations of our legal system, and even the way our military is organized, has its roots in the Roman Empire, whose God was Mithra, the Sun God.

Also, much ado is made about the US being "Christian" nation, because of the alleged beliefs of the founding fathers. This is untrue. The majority of the founding fathers were Deists, and not necessarily subscribers to Christianity.

+1 to Frank

Code of Hammurabi comes to mind as well.

Forum Member
    I'd like to see more Christians in law enforcement. And that's just to be around more Christians. The most broken and immoral people are Christians. I am one of them. I know more righteous atheists than righteous Christians. That guy you call a maggot and a waste of space; I'm that guy. I'm glad I don't have to bear the burden of sin anymore because I can't do it. If I preach to anyone it is to myself and my own shortcomings. I don't deserve any of the mercy I have received.

If you don't want to believe, I can't blame you - it is definitely a leap of faith. For those who want it, the following has helped me tremendously:

Psalm 46

YHWH prevails Rev 12:7-9 KentuckyCO's Avatar
    I'm proud of my Faith in Jesus,I will never reject him,I would give my life for my beliefs,I know without a doubt God is real.Jesus was rejected by many,those individuals who choose to live there life in there own way is free will given to them by God.We Christians have raised money and helped so many wonderful causes, we have been there when Disasters took place and gave aid to those individuals,we have loved them, cared for them, mourned the loss of all the children who have been wiped out by abortions.We Christians believe murderer's Rapists, and anyone who comes to the cross and accepts Jesus can change there lives,I would never give up my soul to have this world accept me.Every wonderful deed done in the name of Christ is every bit worth it, to see a smile on that kids face is every bit worth it,to see a smile on that family's face after Christian missionaries rebuild that family's home is every bit worth it.

Remember anyone can come to the cross, it is ultimately up to that individual Sinner to accept Jesus, change there ways and reform there life by following God,and reading there bible and the power of prayer. Jesus said

Mark 8:34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

just when we think were not reaching out to the lost I Remember a story a youth minister told me, he said one day after bible study he started questioning God and why God put him in youth ministry,he said God I am not worthy of this, I believe my actions as a Christian reaching out to college kids, is in vain.That very same day one of his students came to his house and asked the Minister what is wrong with him? the youth minister replied I dont know I sometimes question why i even try to help these kids,the student replied John! don't even say that,do you know what i was like when you first met me at a bible study? the student said I was a very violent person I had such deep hatred for my parents.I decided one day I was going to kill my parents and even thought of ways to torture them.The student then said If i would of never even attempted to come to your Bible study, or talked to you.I probably would of accomplished them things.The student then said don't you ever question why your a youth minister God put you in this position for a reason,just remember that Jesus can turn the most horrible people into a whole different person.John the Youth minister then said I fell on my knees and started to cry,because he knows God always pulls you back to your mission in Christ.

Just remember that Drum Roast my friend in Christ.

If 11,550 come to Christ and accept him out of 157,000 people we have done our job,our efforts are not In vain.
    Last edited by KentuckyCO; 01-24-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"~ Don Wilder

I'm proud of my Faith in Jesus,I will never reject him,I would give my life for my beliefs,I know without a doubt God is real.Jesus was rejected by many,those individuals who choose to live there life in there own way is free will given to them by God.We Christians have raised money and helped so many wonderful causes, we have been there when Disasters took place and gave aid to those individuals,we have loved them, cared for them, mourned the loss of all the children who have been wiped out by abortions.We Christians believe murderer's Rapists, and anyone who comes to the cross and accepts Jesus can change there lives,I would never give up my soul to have this world accept me.Every wonderful deed done in the name of Christ is every bit worth it, to see a smile on that kids face is every bit worth it,to see a smile on that family's face after Christian missionaries rebuild that family's home is every bit worth it.

Remember anyone can come to the cross, it is ultimately up to that individual Sinner to accept Jesus, change there ways and reform there life by following God,and reading there bible and the power of prayer. Jesus said

Mark 8:34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

just when we think were not reaching out to the lost I Remember a story a youth minister told me, he said one day after bible study he started questioning God and why God put him in youth ministry,he said God I am not worthy of this, I believe my actions as a Christian reaching out to college kids, is in vain.That very same day one of his students came to his house and asked the Minister what is wrong with him? the youth minister replied I dont know I sometimes question why i even try to help these kids,the student replied John! don't even say that,do you know what i was like when you first met me at a bible study? the student said I was a very violent person I had such deep hatred for my parents.I decided one day I was going to kill my parents and even thought of ways to torture them.The student then said If i would of never even attempted to come to your Bible study, or talked to you.I probably would of accomplished them things.The student then said don't you ever question why your a youth minister God put you in this position for a reason,just remember that Jesus can turn the most horrible people into a whole different person.John the Youth minister then said I fell on my knees and started to cry,because he knows God always pulls you back to your mission in Christ.

If 11,550 come to Christ and accept him out of 157,000 people we have done our job,our efforts are not In vain.
    Are you proselytizing again?

Earlier you posted we need more Christians in law enforcement. I'm asking you, name three things unique to Christians that make them suitable to law enforcement.

Firefighter/Cop (crazy) FiremanMike's Avatar
    Interested in what your thoughts are.. I try to keep God pretty close, especially if I'm out on the road. Are there any particular scriptures you read to help with leadership or anything you've used to help someone else out on the job?.. Not to preach or anything, but one of my favorites when it comes to LE is Psalm 18.
    One of my biggest problems in my walk with God at this point is the switch I flip when I sit down in the cruiser. I really have a lot of problems being a witness at any point during my shift as a cop, and when interacting with the public I'm really not being a good disciple... It's something I've been praying about, and my small group is praying for me as well.. If you have any solutions I'm open..
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Ok I'm sorry but after reading all your posts I have to say it.... "their." It shows possession. For the life of me I will never understand how so many officers cannot write. I seriously am not writing this to be rude, I am writing it because you did not use "there" correctly even once in any of your posts, so it is clear you don't know how to use it correctly. So hopefully this post proves useful to you in any future posts/reports.

And I don't feel ignorant for choosing not to believe in god.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSD Frank View Post
    And actually, many of our laws, much of the foundations of our legal system, and even the way our military is organized, has its roots in the Roman Empire, whose God was Mithra, the Sun God.

Also, much ado is made about the US being "Christian" nation, because of the alleged beliefs of the founding fathers. This is untrue. The majority of the founding fathers were Deists, and not necessarily subscribers to Christianity.
    And at one point the Roman Empire was also Christian, under Constantine. Make sure you know your history.

He was the FIRST Christian Emperor. The civilization existed before him. Laws existed before him. Know your history as well.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcop05 View Post
    And at one point the Roman Empire was also Christian, under Constantine. Make sure you know your history.
    I'm no historian, but I'm pretty certain that most of those laws were in place well before Constantine and well before they switched to Christianity. So what difference does it make?
    Last edited by Brader; 01-24-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: She beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by beachcop05 View Post
    I'm quite well read in history, thank you very much, sir.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
    One of my biggest problems in my walk with God at this point is the switch I flip when I sit down in the cruiser. I really have a lot of problems being a witness at any point during my shift as a cop, and when interacting with the public I'm really not being a good disciple... It's something I've been praying about, and my small group is praying for me as well.. If you have any solutions I'm open..
    This is the kind of discussion I really wanted from this thread. I think every LEO tends to flip a switch when they go on the clock- and this can especially be a test of faith. If you get a chance, check out these two sites:

http://christiancop.blogspot.com/
    http://www.christianlawenforcement.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast