Forum Member

clearing a charge

Ive come up for expungement of a past cdv charge.After 6 weeks my charge will be totally clear from my record.When this happens will i be able to apply for a job with my local police force.If they ask me i will tell them about my past charge but will it affect me after the charge is expunged.Im a totally different person now.I just hope one mistake from my past wont haunt me the rest of my life.There's nothing I want more than to become a cop.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member
    Tough one.

Ever since the Lautenberg amendment, people with DV convictions have been prohibited from owning/access to firearms and ammunition. I guess you could get the expungement, see if it restores your 2nd amendment rights, then apply. Or call whatever your state police licensing agency is and ask them directly. Might be called something like SC police officer standards/training/etc. etc.

Individual departments might have more specific disqualifiers, but if you get it straight from the horse's mouth - the state agency that would give you a license, then you know where you stand.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    You would not be considered in a CA agency. DV is a very serious issue which most agencies will regard as an indicator of lack of personal control. You may wish to consider another occupation.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

NOT banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    You would not be considered in a CA agency. DV is a very serious issue which most agencies will regard as an indicator of lack of personal control. You may wish to consider another occupation.
    agreed...you would not be hired at my department...Expungement doesnt mean you didnt do it, but rather you paid a lot of money to make it not show up on your record....as another said though, check with the PD you want to apply for
    OH, and dont "tell them IF they ask"......."tell" them on the application
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Band-aid jockey
    Your shot here in CO with a DV. If you wanted to be a cop forever, you shouldn't have hit a woman.

Forum Member
    DV = no LEO job at 99.9999 % of police agencies.

Forum Member

A DV conviction--expunged or not--will kill you.

Forum Member

I didn't hit a woman i got in argument with my brother I bumped him on his shoulder when i left the house and he called the cops on me and said i assaulted him.

NOT banned
    that counts as DV here, too...poor judgement as you were leaving
    I can say that a lot of stuff seems like its over then someone has to do just "one more thing" and stirs it all up again. check with your dept youre going for..it's STILL a DV though
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Forum Member

expungement

In Texas it is in the law books that expunging only hides your record from non government places of employment. That excludes state, local and federal. That simply means that the expunged record will hide your DV at any job other than a PD etc... If Wall-Mart runs your criminal history they will get nothing if your DV gets "sealed". If a PD wants your full record, well there it is. Expunging cost thousands of dollars on top of that, and that would suck to find out at the end it didn't hide it. Easier/cheaper to explain your mistake

Forum Member

Yeah a DV conviction is pretty bad. HUGE liability on a department, you raise a hand to one person and it's going to come out in the ensuing lawsuit that you have no self control and was known risk before employment.

Expunged or not it's still there it's just not easily accessible to the public.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by taco78 View Post
    I didn't hit a woman i got in argument with my brother I bumped him on his shoulder when i left the house and he called the cops on me and said i assaulted him.
    Somehow I doubt that is the whole story and I bet the police report has details that made the prosecutor throw the book at you.

Don't even go into how everyone was lying and all that crap. We've heard it all and don't care.

Forum Member

To wirefire2 that is the whole story.I never said the cop or my brother was lying.I admit i should have handled the situation differently.But dont call me a woman beater.People here seem to assume alot.Furthermore the book was'nt thrown at me.I never spent one day in jail on the charge.All i had to do was pay a 285 dollar fine.I know now you dont have to lay a hand on someone to get charged with a cdv,the officer told me it was me saying i would hurt him that really got me charged.I was wrong and i payed the price for my actions.So wirefire2 im not crying about how i was done wrong.I just wanted to know if there was any forgiveness for past mistakes.From what im seeing i guess not,and i do understand how i would be considered a liability.Plus the expungement was not done just for applying for the police department.I just couldn't stand having that charge hanging over me.Thats not the person i really am.Thanks for all the input looks like i need to look at another line of work.

Forum Member

TXdeputySO, it only cost 250 dollars in south carolina to have a charge expunged.Best money I ever spent.

jakflak
    Keep in mind in a police background check there's no such thing as an expungement. You may have fixed the legal barrier to getting hired but the potential department will still consider the fact that you have a conviction. You're still competing against people who have no criminal history.

Forum Member

Our city used to include immediate family members in our domestic violence statute; it was a stupid law. We now only included those people that have an intimate relationship with you.

You may have to give it a shot, maybe they would look at the circumstances of your arrest. In my city, you would have been charged with Harassment (no DV).

The worst thing you can do is to try and hide the arrest.
    I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Forum Member

You've recieved excellent replies. Keep this mind. There is NO such thing as an expungement in a police background investigation. Period. Records which have been sealed/expunged are routinely accessed by police background investigators. Your DV conviction (expunged or not) would be a killer in Alabama, and particularly with my agency. Two Wheel Dep makes an excellent point concerning the circumstances of your conviction. At the end of the day though, that arrest and subsequent conviction are almost certain to be killers. Having been convicted under any DV statute precludes you from owning or possessing a firearm or ammunition.

Forum Member

I start school to feb to become a medical assistant,i think ill just go that route.

Forum Member

I start school to feb to become a medical assistant,i think ill just go that route.
    Prabably a wise decision.

Forum Member

Non Discloser Cost

I'll tell you right now it will cost $1,600 plus court cost to get a non discloser; I am saving up money for this expense. The judge will have to approve it too.

Everything helps man.... Have copies of good performance reviews from you employer. If you've done community service, I hope you did a good job so you have that letter vouching for quaility of work done. Don't dick around with your probation. DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY as promised. If you say you are going to have all fees paid on a certain date, make it happen. The same with classes, community service, etc.... If anything goes wrong, correct it without delay. Do those things and chances are very good the judge will grant the order to make the record non public.

On the other hand, if you failed probation, served jail time, or have priors, you will not get a non discloser. Also, there are two types of probation. If you got straight probation, you will not be able to get non discloser. If you're probation is what is called deferred adjudication and there is no finding of guilt\conviction, you may be able to get record sealed. In Texas, domestic violance and DUI/DWI can not be sealed from public view. The non discloser may get granted to only those who are one time offenders.

Once you have a non discloser, you will most likely not be able to work for any employers or agencies who are governement related. Examples are police departments, TSA, United States Postal Service, and most public school districts. Private employers such as Best Buy, Fed Ex, Fry's, Wal Mart, Krogers, Bank Of America, etc will not have access.

This information was learned from my attorney and after doing alot of homework.

jakflak
    Quote Originally Posted by herbigharo32 View Post
    This information was learned from my attorney and after doing alot of homework.
    "ONLY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS CAN *REPLY* TO POSTS IN 'ASK A COP'
    All Others BANNED on FIRST Offense
    "

Your answer is wrong. There's a reason only police are supposed to post here.
    Last edited by jakflak; 01-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.