Page 1 of 176 12341151101 ... Last
Like Tree439Likes

Thread: NYS Court Officers

Forum Member

NYS Court Officers

greetings to all fellow court officers, I'm currently upstate with 8 years on. Just wondering if any other officers, past/present/future are on this board. Take care all & be safe!!!!!

Forum Member

I took the NYS Court Officer Trainee exam on 12/12/09. I currently work in retail loss prevention, and a friend of mine who is a Court Officer in the 9th JD works with me part time. He got on the job in 2000. I have spoken to him about the job alot, and from what I hear, I think I would love it.

Forum Member

anybody know when we will get our scores back for the court officer test?

Forum Member

I know theres an academy graduating on Jan 7th, they start on their new commands Jan 11th. They are in desperate need of officers upstate. There should be another academy starting soon

Forum Member
    courtcop64........Check out the Court Officer Rant....can be very informative.

Forum Member
    Courtcop What District Are You In...

Forum Member

I'm in the 6th JD

Forum Member
    Hey Courtcop and the rest of you. I took the test on 12-12 currently a Federal Officer, in Upstate NY 4 classes from BA in CJ. I am so hoping I get a chance to get on the job. I love the hours, and I love being part of not a new but growing agency
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    courtcop64........Check out the Court Officer Rant....can be very informative.
    I am not a courts officer, but what is the link so I can possibly get info from current officers.

-----Louis Pasteur

Forum Member
    O I am in the 4th.

Forum Member

Nysco here!

Forum Member

NYSCO here in the 3rd JD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VACOP1 View Post
    I am not a courts officer, but what is the link so I can possibly get info from current officers.
    Court Officer Rant is probably not a good site for someone who isn't on the job yet...

Forum Member

good to hear from all of you, take care & be safe

Forum Member

forgot to ask, anyone hear anything on the 7th being taken over in the future??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by courtcop64 View Post
    forgot to ask, anyone hear anything on the 7th being taken over in the future??
    We have to completely take over the JDs that we already have before we seek new ones. In the 3rd we don't have any courts in Columbia or Schoharie counties, and the only one that we occupy in Albany County is Cohoes city court. Can you believe that? We are a state agency that doesn't have officers in either Albany County or City Courts, our own capital. There are court officers in 3rd Department Appellate Division and the Court of Appeals, but neither of those belong to the 3rd JD.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    Court Officer Rant is probably not a good site for someone who isn't on the job yet...
    why is that

-----Louis Pasteur

Forum Member

I recently (Dec.) re-took the test and I'm hoping for something in the 8th. Any possibilities?

Forum Member
    People, I don't mean to smash each everyones dreams, but, from what I was told year after year, and from people who took the exam over and over again every four years. The academy classes are very small, the hiring process is very long as far as selecting candidates. You do the math! Lets say 4000 applicants took the exam on October of 09, and the same amount on December of 2009, and they only hire 100-150 per year. by the time they reach your list # and exam # everything probably would of expired and you would have to start all over. Unified Court System profits alot of money every 4 years on the administration of exams. On the other hand, if you are lucky, and scored well on the written exam, and are at the top of the list or top ten. Then just maybe, just maybe you will hear something from some one at the NYS Court HR. Read the other Court Officer Threads for NYS, you will see what I'm talking about.
    "One day, I'm going to get hired by some police agency some where." God Help Me!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYPDHOPEFULLY View Post
    People, I don't mean to smash each everyones dreams, but, from what I was told year after year, and from people who took the exam over and over again every four years. The academy classes are very small, the hiring process is very long as far as selecting candidates. You do the math! Lets say 4000 applicants took the exam on October of 09, and the same amount on December of 2009, and they only hire 100-150 per year. by the time they reach your list # and exam # everything probably would of expired and you would have to start all over. Unified Court System profits alot of money every 4 years on the administration of exams. On the other hand, if you are lucky, and scored well on the written exam, and are at the top of the list or top ten. Then just maybe, just maybe you will hear something from some one at the NYS Court HR. Read the other Court Officer Threads for NYS, you will see what I'm talking about.
    I received a letter a canvass letter from the 2005 test, but I just threw it out as I wasn't interested. I scored in the high 80s on the test.

Forum Member
    The numbers posted above are a bit off. Typical class, when all is well with the economy, runs over 100 up to about 125 to start. Three classes in a year is not unheard of. Much hiring was anticipated due to the upstate takeovers.

Forum Member
    Well, I hope I'm completely wrong, but the info I got was from people who went through the process, and who as matter a fact are working for NYPD and have no interest in NYS Courts because they just simply never got called.
    "One day, I'm going to get hired by some police agency some where." God Help Me!!

Forum Member

I know several people, including my mother and her fiance who took the test several years ago and scored in the mid 80's and got called, but didnt take the job. I suppose less people were taking the test back then, but still interesting to know they reached scores in the 80s.

Forum Member
    The Court Officer exam has drawn thousands for years. With over 5,000 names on a list it takes a while to move up. But the lists are alive for 4 years and a great number of listees are either DQ'd or move on to other jobs. When you have more people on a list than actually on the job, you cannot expect rapid movement. All commands are currently working short. If and when the economy rebounds, there should be greater, quicker hiring.

Forum Member
    With the implementation of the Town and Village courts into the UCS, the demand for court Officers will probably go up... yes some of these courts have sherrifs or police in the court. Im sure the state would love to be able to put a Court officer there as opposed to having to pay a PO OT for the duty with the town and village court. It will happen.... the problem is... this is NYS... they work extremly sloooooooooooooooow.

Page 1 of 176 12341151101 ... Last