Like Tree439Likes

Thread: NYS Court Officers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MP1212 View Post
    For those of you who took the physical and passed, how many sit ups did you do? I just had my 2nd baby (almost in a row) so I'm having trouble working on my stomach. I'm guessing they are full sit ups, do they hold your feet?
    How hard were the other parts? If I pass the medical, I should be scheduled for end of april/may. I've been doing classes at my gym. Any tips on work outs I can do to prepare? pm me please! Thanks!!!
    I did about 35 sit-ups and passed. You cross your arms over your chest and you must touch your elbows to your knees. A woman will hold another woman's legs and kneel on your feet. As they will tell you before you take the PAT, the sit-ups are part of Category II: Strength and Muscular Endurance. The other two parts of that section are the Arm Lift and Leg Endurance. That whole section is lumped together for scoring purposes. If you aren't great at sit-ups you can make up your slack on the other two parts of Category II.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn29 View Post
    anyone know how long the full med takes?
    When is your medical scheduled for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MP1212 View Post
    For those of you who took the physical and passed, how many sit ups did you do? I just had my 2nd baby (almost in a row) so I'm having trouble working on my stomach. I'm guessing they are full sit ups, do they hold your feet?
    How hard were the other parts? If I pass the medical, I should be scheduled for end of april/may. I've been doing classes at my gym. Any tips on work outs I can do to prepare? pm me please! Thanks!!!
    When did you take your medical?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cravan View Post
    When is your medical scheduled for?
    hey Cravan, i go in next week.

Forum Member

hey Cravan, i go in next week.
    Okay, good luck. I am glad to see that they are still processing people for the academy. What is your score on the exam?

Forum Member

Question for all currently going through the process:
    When you schedule each step in the process do they give you more than 1 date to choose from? For example if you finish the pre-med do they give you a few open future dates to select the full medical or is it whatever they have you have to take? And same for full med going into PAT?

Forum Member

thanx man. me too, me too. went for premed AFTER lippman ammended his statements regarding cooperation with cuomo on budget stuff, things are moving. scored 91.7

Forum Member

thanx man. me too, me too. went for premed AFTER lippman ammended his statements regarding cooperation with cuomo on budget stuff, things are moving. scored 91.7
    Wow! You just made the cut off score for NYC. I took the exam again and scored an 86. Anyhow, when you go for your full medical, please ask OCA questions about when the next academy class might be. Thx in advance.
    Last edited by Cravan; 03-17-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Forum Member

State Lawmakers Hopeful Of On-Time Budget

State budget talks are well underway and lawmakers are optimistic New Yorkers will get an on-time budget later this month. NY1's Erin Billups filed the following report.

Despite a $10 billion deficit and massive cuts proposed for school aid, social programs and healthcare, Governor Andrew Cuomo and the state's legislative leaders said Wednesday they’re on track to have an on time budget.

“Right now it’s looking like it’s working much better than it’s ever worked before," Cuomo said.

"Maybe we’ll even shock you by a few days," said State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.
    State Lawmakers Hopeful Of On-Time Budget

The legislature kicked off its meetings to hash out differences in the budget Tuesday night and could be wrapping that process up soon.

"It’s our hope within the next day that we can close down either three or four of the conference committees and really get the momentum going," said State Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos.

Many at the capitol have commented over the smoothness of this year's budget process. So far, there’s been relatively little pushback from special interest groups as well as minor differences between the governor’s and legislature’s budget plans.

After meeting privately with the governor Wednesday, legislative leaders say it's because Cuomo’s governing method is working.

“The tone that has been set, one of civility, I think that’s incredibly important," Skelos said.

“This governor has recognized the role of the legislature in the budget process, and has worked with the legislature to keep us on a timely schedule," Silver said.

Disagreements center over a proposed cap on medical malpractice awards and restoring funding to school districts. The governor says there is flexibility, with the exception of taxing millionaires.

"Can there be adjustments to the budget? Of course," Cuomo said.

While everything may seem rosy right now, the massive cutbacks are a hard message for rank and file lawmakers to take home to their districts. Several are hoping "adjustments" can be made to help them fund projects in their areas. While Skelos says it’s not on their agenda, the governor says there are many options available.

“I don’t think it would be appropriate to have member items in this budget," Skelos said.

“I’m not ruling anything in, I’m not ruling anything out," Cuomo said.

Even with all the collegial talk the governor said he is prepared to force the legislature to vote on his spending plan by threat of a government shutdown. That is, unless, a three way agreement can be reached by the April 1 deadline.

Forum Member

hows this for a kicker

just got an e-mail seems there will not be any class for the rest of this fiscal year-fantastic
    Test 45-722
    Rank 21XX
    was scheduled for january 6th 2011 class that was cancelled

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureCtOfr View Post
    hows this for a kicker

just got an e-mail seems there will not be any class for the rest of this fiscal year-fantastic
    This fiscal year meaning ending March 31st 2010? Or are they referring to next fiscal year?

Forum Member

Can anyone chime in regarding my previous post about scheduling throughout the process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CivilServant14 View Post
    This fiscal year meaning ending March 31st 2010? Or are they referring to next fiscal year?
    here is letter

Dear Candidate

As you are aware, due to fiscal uncertainties the January 6, 2011 court officer recruit class was postponed. Since that time, in veiw of the States continuing and serious fiscal difficulties, the Judiciary budget for 2011/2012 fiscal year was reduced. As a result, we do not anticipate offering a recruit class during this fiscal year.

Be assured you remain an active candidate for appointment blah blah blah

Please remain up to date blah blah blah
    Test 45-722
    Rank 21XX

Forum Member

Question for all currently going through the process:
    When you schedule each step in the process do they give you more than 1 date to choose from? For example if you finish the pre-med do they give you a few open future dates to select the full medical or is it whatever they have you have to take? And same for full med going into PAT?
    they gave you date-no choice was given
    usually within 2 weeks
    first physical/second and pat all done 2 weeks apart-it was after the background investigation started that things slowed down
    Test 45-722
    Rank 21XX

Forum Member

Just received my letter from oca. No class this year due to budget. But you will still remain on the list annd when the next class is schedule....... sucks all the work put in for the class for nothing but I guess its good to be in shape

Forum Member

here is letter

Dear Candidate

As you are aware, due to fiscal uncertainties the January 6, 2011 court officer recruit class was postponed. Since that time, in veiw of the States continuing and serious fiscal difficulties, the Judiciary budget for 2011/2012 fiscal year was reduced. As a result, we do not anticipate offering a recruit class during this fiscal year.

Sorry to hear this...only good thing is unemployment extensions are good through Dec. 31st 2010 but it doesn't make up for not having f/t income. I just wonder what is going to happen next year. Is the financial situation going to improve drastically for them to now hire officers?

Forum Member

they gave you date-no choice was given
    usually within 2 weeks
    first physical/second and pat all done 2 weeks apart-it was after the background investigation started that things slowed down
    I would assume if you had to reschedule there wouldn't be a problem?
    My schedule is going to be less than flexible in the near future so I would like to be prepared if canvassing ever resumes.
    Last edited by CivilServant14; 03-17-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Forum Member

I would assume if you had to reschedule there wouldn't be a problem?
    My schedule is going to be less than flexible in the near future so I would like to be prepared if canvassing ever resumes.
    I thought I needed to reschedule my pre med at one point and I was told that I COULD do that, but I would have to wait until they were doing them again, with no firm time frame on when that would occur. You should call them and get a definite answer for YOUR situation though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
    I thought I needed to reschedule my pre med at one point and I was told that I COULD do that, but I would have to wait until they were doing them again, with no firm time frame on when that would occur. You should call them and get a definite answer for YOUR situation though.
    ok...thank you! Figured maybe if you were scheduled for a Tuesday you could instead select the Wednesday, but guess they're inflexible with their scheduling. At least you have the opportunity to reschedule.

Forum Member

ok...thank you! Figured maybe if you were scheduled for a Tuesday you could instead select the Wednesday, but guess they're inflexible with their scheduling. At least you have the opportunity to reschedule.
    i am pretty sure that you will only be rescheduled on a date when they are running other physicals-they will not make special exceptions for anyone-so if they dont run them for 6 months then you might have shot yourself in the foot-but then again with the way things are going who knows when another class might ever go in.
    Test 45-722
    Rank 21XX

Forum Member

hows this for a kicker

Wow!!! I got the same email. This year really sucks!!! Do we have bad luck or what?

Forum Member

Sorry to hear this...only good thing is unemployment extensions are good through Dec. 31st 2010 but it doesn't make up for not having f/t income. I just wonder what is going to happen next year. Is the financial situation going to improve drastically for them to now hire officers?
    I was wondering the same thing. This is really not fair. I am unemployed because of this unfortunate situation. Damn!!!!!!

Forum Member

here is letter

Dear Candidate

Wow that sucks.

I'm so sorry to all you guys who lost their jobs over this It's super sad and definitely disheartening.

I have my meeting with the BI coming up, wonder if I'll hear anything there.

Forum Member

So many hurdles to finally get here and then bad luck after bad luck after bad luck. As i said earlier the only good thing to come from this whole thing is that i am able to run 3 miles in under 28 minutes. i worked hard for that. i will continue the running as i took a liking to it. This has been a bad year for all. Sorry to all that have to stay unemployed due to cuomo doomsday budget......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by angelo3456 View Post
    So many hurdles to finally get here and then bad luck after bad luck after bad luck. As i said earlier the only good thing to come from this whole thing is that i am able to run 3 miles in under 28 minutes. i worked hard for that. i will continue the running as i took a liking to it. This has been a bad year for all. Sorry to all that have to stay unemployed due to cuomo doomsday budget......
    thats for damn sure.

So "this fiscal year" means NEXT fiscal year? Couldnt "THIS FISCAL YEAR" mean until march 31,2011? grasping at straws here....