Page 52 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3627
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: NYS Court Officers

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CivilServant14 View Post
    Pension and security also attracted me to this job. State and local jobs are being attacked nationwide. I guess it's only fair as the law enforcement and firemen were responsible for this economic recession (sarcasm here).
    of course, when in doubt blame it on the blue collar..........or just tax the hell outta them!

civil, youve inspired me in the questions realm...so heres one:

when did they change the length of the academy from 2/3 weeks to 14 and why?

Forum Member
    The rich and Republicans are attacking civil service workers. I am ****ed off that they are trying to mess up civil service worker's pensions. I wish I got a law enforcement job about year ago because a lot of changes are taking place.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravan View Post
    The rich and Republicans are attacking civil service workers. I am ****ed off that they are trying to mess up civil service worker's pensions. I wish I got a law enforcement job about year ago because a lot of changes are taking place.
    I saw an anti-union commercial yesterday for the first time. I believe it was sponsored by the tea party but not 100% sure (this is what I heard). I also noticed the Wisconsin bill was signed by the governor. Times have definitely changed.

Dinosaur32

unblindeacon.....OCA press spokesman?

Charlie has way more personality...he's a vatican assassin after all lol

Mtn29 when did they change the length of the academy from 2/3 weeks to 14 and why?
    It changed progressively...2 weeks to 4 weeks, 4 to 6, 6 to 8 etc....My academy was more along the lines of 4 months...The training you get is top notch...everything that is covered is similiar or the same as PD gets....(dont forget there are still efforts for a status change) with the exception of some law and some things pertinent to court officers that aren't to PD...as time goes on the job changes and expands (MSP/SRT) and more training is needed. When i first got out there I wished I had more training! Eventually I believe they will transition to 6 months, maybe when the new academy is built in Brooklyn. Most importantly NYS court officer Instructors are CERTIFIED NYS POLICE INSTRUCTORS WHO TEACH OTHER POLICE ANGENCIES ACROSS THE STATE. They know their stuff. On a side note with a down economy there seems to be a much higher caseload and the people coming in march are 10x worse than December. There have been an increase in rollarounds, EDP's, evicted tenants etc. Two of my friends who are in a different command got into it with someone off the street who decided to choke one of them...2 went to the hospital one was out of work a week, they got the perp restrained and ready for a free ride themselves ..(remember pain is a switch 100% on then 100% off) my point is lately training has proved to be invaluable, even that verbal judo stuff lol. The bronx is the most active producing double digit collars per week... I still believe this job is one of the best LE jobs out there and I am glad to see a lot of people still want it.
    Last edited by unblindeacon; 03-12-2011 at 08:15 AM.

LEO in the Boogie Down BX redstormgsr's Avatar
    who is this..........i may know you............send a pm. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LEO in the Boogie Down BX redstormgsr's Avatar
    Oh BTW.................. for those that do get on in the future, NYS C.O. is the best job in the world.........when you get on correct me if I am wrong!!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unblindeacon View Post

It changed progressively...2 weeks to 4 weeks, 4 to 6, 6 to 8 etc....My academy was more along the lines of 4 months...The training you get is top notch...everything that is covered is similiar or the same as PD gets....(dont forget there are still efforts for a status change) with the exception of some law and some things pertinent to court officers that aren't to PD...as time goes on the job changes and expands (MSP/SRT) and more training is needed. When i first got out there I wished I had more training! Eventually I believe they will transition to 6 months, maybe when the new academy is built in Brooklyn. Most importantly NYS court officer Instructors are CERTIFIED NYS POLICE INSTRUCTORS WHO TEACH OTHER POLICE ANGENCIES ACROSS THE STATE. They know their stuff. On a side note with a down economy there seems to be a much higher caseload and the people coming in march are 10x worse than December. There have been an increase in rollarounds, EDP's, evicted tenants etc. Two of my friends who are in a different command got into it with someone off the street who decided to choke one of them...2 went to the hospital one was out of work a week, they got the perp restrained and ready for a free ride themselves ..(remember pain is a switch 100% on then 100% off) my point is lately training has proved to be invaluable, even that verbal judo stuff lol. The bronx is the most active producing double digit collars per week... I still believe this job is one of the best LE jobs out there and I am glad to see a lot of people still want it.
    thanks for the info...best job out there, from what ive been told. ive got my fingers crossed!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn29 View Post
    thanks for the info...best job out there, from what ive been told. ive got my fingers crossed!
    Yup...now let's pray there is no new tier in the pension system if not for us for other new hires.

Forum Member
    Yup...now let's pray there is no new tier in the pension system if not for us for other new hires.
    hopefully times on our side, and this new tier will kick in later than sooner.

i go in for the full med in 2 weeks, i hope the ball keeps on rolling.
    Last edited by Mtn29; 03-13-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added info

Forum Member

Hey,

I figured things would be more hectic in the courts. I heard that family court is the most violent. I hope this surge of violence makes Lippman hire more court officers asap.

So you're saying that court officers are arresting people in the Bronx in double digits. Is this in criminal court?

Forum Member
    Welcome aboard Todd57! I haven't heard of an official hiring freeze but figured it was unofficial until the budget was straightened out.

I have the same score and rank in the mid 5,000s. I am also waiting for upstate districts to start canvassing.
    Hey Civil & Todd,

I have the same score and rank is 42XX . I'm from Long Island but also chose JD's 3, 6, 9 in hoping it might give me a better shot at getting in ... Civil, what JD's did you choose, or did you choose the entire state ? Good luck to all of us ...

Forum Member
    Wow! Guess I wasted my time and money on that exam!
    Referring to the Court Assistant test ... me too : (
    Last edited by Monkeyboy49; 03-14-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy49 View Post
    Hey Civil & Todd,

I have the same score and rank is 42XX . I'm from Long Island but also chose JD's 3, 6, 9 in hoping it might give me a better shot at getting in ... Civil, what JD's did you choose, or did you choose the entire state ? Good luck to all of us ...
    I chose the entire state, although I would rather get into one of the downstate JDs (especially NYC). Did you choose NYC?

As for the court assistant position, I would have been weary of accepting this job as with the crossover to electronic filing may phase many of these jobs out. I was hoping to use this as a backup to CO but what's meant to be is meant to be.
    BTW...OCA said the scores should be sent out in the early spring.

Forum Member
    I chose the entire state, although I would rather get into one of the downstate JDs (especially NYC). Did you choose NYC?

As for the court assistant position, I would have been weary of accepting this job as with the crossover to electronic filing may phase many of these jobs out. I was hoping to use this as a backup to CO but what's meant to be is meant to be.
    BTW...OCA said the scores should be sent out in the early spring.
    Yes, I chose NYC, Nassau & Suffolk, and JD's 3, 6, and 9 ... I took the Court Assistant test as a backup also ... I actually found that test to be slightly tougher than the CO test , and we should be getting those results soon ...

Hey,

I figured things would be more hectic in the courts. I heard that family court is the most violent. I hope this surge of violence makes Lippman hire more court officers asap.

So you're saying that court officers are arresting people in the Bronx in double digits. Is this in criminal court?
    Let me Clarify...arrests are made everyday in NYC with the most lately in the bronx. We had two collars today in the span of 3 hours (not the bronx). Things aren't hectic because we are in control lol...Things can and do hit the fan lol..one of the craziest places to work is lower civil in landlord tenant ...honestly from talking to friends its busy at every command lately... the cold drives in edp's looking to get warm...the bad economy drives more cases of all types...etc.

redstormgsr pm sent

Forum Member
    Hey Monkeyboy49- I chose JD#4 as I am from this JD. I have a couple of friends that are CO's and they have told me that they need people bad because of the retirements and pending transfers. I believe it is like this in the rest of upstate as well. All we can do is continue to be patient, get or stay in shape and stay positive. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do fine.

Forum Member
    Let me Clarify...arrests are made everyday in NYC with the most lately in the bronx. We had two collars today in the span of 3 hours (not the bronx). Things aren't hectic because we are in control lol...Things can and do hit the fan lol..one of the craziest places to work is lower civil in landlord tenant ...honestly from talking to friends its busy at every command lately... the cold drives in edp's looking to get warm...the bad economy drives more cases of all types...etc.

redstormgsr pm sent
    Hey,

Thanks for the information. I am glad to know that court officers are in control. What kind of collars do you guys usually get?

Forum Member
    Hey everyone,

There are 17 days left until April 1, 2011. I hope things start picking up at OCA once the budget is passed.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravan View Post
    Hey everyone,

There are 17 days left until April 1, 2011. I hope things start picking up at OCA once the budget is passed.
    damn, that went quick.

Forum Member
    anyone know how long the full med takes?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn29 View Post
    anyone know how long the full med takes?
    nvm, thanx retriever.

Forum Member
    For those of you that had your full med: How long after the exam did you receive your official lab results (urine, etc)?

Forum Member
    The full medical took me less than 3 hours, but it was the day after one of the snow storms and there were not that many people there. I don't know if you ever even get your urine or blood test results. I am not sure, but I would guess that you would only hear something if there were a problem.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kannons610 View Post
    The full medical took me less than 3 hours, but it was the day after one of the snow storms and there were not that many people there. I don't know if you ever even get your urine or blood test results. I am not sure, but I would guess that you would only hear something if there were a problem.
    I passed the full med and I was never given any results, Just the date for the PAT

Forum Member
    For those of you who took the physical and passed, how many sit ups did you do? I just had my 2nd baby (almost in a row) so I'm having trouble working on my stomach. I'm guessing they are full sit ups, do they hold your feet?
    How hard were the other parts? If I pass the medical, I should be scheduled for end of april/may. I've been doing classes at my gym. Any tips on work outs I can do to prepare? pm me please! Thanks!!!

Page 52 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 102 ... LastLast