Assistant US Attorney

Hey everyone.

I was just curious if Assistant US Attorney's or Assistant Prosecutor's have any actual LE Powers. I know a lot of them carry badges, but i was unsure if there was any authority behind that badge or not.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Assistant US Attorney

I believe that an Assistant United States Attorney is charged with prosecuting cases for the United States Government. If you are wondering if they have arrest authority, I rather doubt it. That is why we have federal law enforcement agencies, separation of powers, etc. I am not a great student of history, but I believe one of the basics years ago in creating the US was to not put too much authority in any one agency, checks and balances, etc. Some states. however, have prosecutors that do have arrest authority, but I think that you are specifically asking about the United States Attorneys Office.

The issue of badges is a whole different topic, however. To me, badge does not equal arrest power, nor does arrest authority require a badge. Some examples that come to mind are, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that the New York State Police do not have badges displayed. I will say that most officers/deputies/troopers/agents that I am aware of do have a badge of some sort.

On the other hand I can think of many folks with badges that absolutely do not have arrest authority. Lets see, firefighters, community service officers, police explorers, police reserves, park rangers, private security guards, heck many of our civilian support staff wear a 5 point badge on a uniform shirt and have absolutely no arrest authority beyond any other ordinary citizen. I think that our District Court Judges and Assistant County Attorneys both are issued badges. I have even seen badges for sale for amateur radio operators and civilian concealed weapon holders.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/

DAL
    Federal don't.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

They have a badge of office, which is technically what LE has. But my arrest authority is granted by an oath administered by a magistrate.

As I understand, they no longer carry badges, only creds. Not that a badge means anything, I've seen sanitation workers, toll takers, politicians and priests with badges.

Not sure if they have arrest authority, but I do know some that have been authorized to carry weapons.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Forum Member
    Our city attorneys get badges that look like ours. The only thing I know they are used for is to try and get out of tickets. I don't think any attorneys have any LE authority because of their office.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. Appreciate it.

New York State Police Troopers do not wear badges or shields on their shirts and outerwear. They carry their shields in their credential cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1648 View Post
    I believe that an Assistant United States Attorney is charged with prosecuting cases for the United States Government. If you are wondering if they have arrest authority, I rather doubt it.
    They do not. Just got that from an AUSA about 10 mins ago......

I will say that most officers/deputies/troopers/agents that I am aware of do have a badge of some sort.
    Missouri State Highway Patrol is a full service LE Agency and they do not have badges on their uniforms...

police reserves, park rangers
    Have to be carefully there. In Missouri and a lot of other States, Reserves/Part-Timers and Park Rangers have the same Authority that anyone else does ....

private security guards
    Some States give guards full power on the property they are protecting....other give limited powers...some give none at all.....

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Compelled93 View Post
    Hey everyone.

I was just curious if Assistant US Attorney's or Assistant Prosecutor's have any actual LE Powers. I know a lot of them carry badges, but i was unsure if there was any authority behind that badge or not.

Thanks.
    Considering that they can get your *** indicted, I'd say there was some authority there.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb5722 View Post
    I believe in texas that ADA's are leo's and have arrest powers, i could be wrong though.
    ADAs are not ex officio peace officers in Texas.

In most jurisdictions you will hear the District Attorney or County Attorney named as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the County. State Attorney Generals are many times listed as the same. The US Attorney General is called the Chief Law Enforcement officer in the US.................

It's a title, none of them that I know of have arrest powers. But as prosecutors they are part of the LEO network.
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

I believe that an Assistant United States Attorney is charged with prosecuting cases for the United States Government. If you are wondering if they have arrest authority, I rather doubt it. That is why we have federal law enforcement agencies, separation of powers, etc. I am not a great student of history, but I believe one of the basics years ago in creating the US was to not put too much authority in any one agency, checks and balances, etc. Some states. however, have prosecutors that do have arrest authority, but I think that you are specifically asking about the United States Attorneys Office.

The issue of badges is a whole different topic, however. To me, badge does not equal arrest power, nor does arrest authority require a badge. Some examples that come to mind are, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that the New York State Police do not have badges displayed. I will say that most officers/deputies/troopers/agents that I am aware of do have a badge of some sort.

On the other hand I can think of many folks with badges that absolutely do not have arrest authority. Lets see, firefighters, community service officers, police explorers, police reserves, park rangers, private security guards, heck many of our civilian support staff wear a 5 point badge on a uniform shirt and have absolutely no arrest authority beyond any other ordinary citizen. I think that our District Court Judges and Assistant County Attorneys both are issued badges. I have even seen badges for sale for amateur radio operators and civilian concealed weapon holders.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/
    I'm pretty sure police reserves and park rangers have arrest authority. In Arkansas the reserves have full police authority while on-duty in their jurisdiction, and rangers here have statewide authority for criminal, traffic, and wildlife laws.

Ausa

No, AUSA"s do not have arrest authority. Their position and authority is derived from USC Title 18 - Chapter 35 and nowhere does it grant AUSA's law enforcement status.

Now on the State level, in New Jersey each Prosecutor's Office employs detectives who are law enforcement officers and in Florida, each State Attorney employs investigators who are law enforcement officers. I'm sure most other states are the same.
    Last edited by sibpd893tf; 01-06-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by sibpd893tf View Post
    No, AUSA"s do not have arrest authority. Their position and authority is derived from USC Title 18 - Chapter 35 and nowhere does it grant AUSA's law enforcement status.

Now on the State level, in New Jersey each Prosecutor's Office employs detectives who are law enforcement officers and in Florida, each State Attorney employs investigators who are law enforcement officers. I'm sure most other states are the same.
    Our state's AG hired some investigators a while back, and I don't know of anyone who is clear on what their role is.

An AUSA may not be permitted to physically arrest someone, but they are far more powerful than any LEO. We can arrest people all day, but no one gets charged with a federal felony without an AUSA blessing it.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.