Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

CIA police and NSA police

Hi, I have applied for both NSA and CIA police. I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. I have applied numerious time to both. I never hear anything back from the cia, but the NSA says we are looking further into your qualifications. I just dont know why I have never heard any more back from either. I am mort than qualified for the position. Can any one give me some pointers on what I may be doing wrong? Or if you have any info that may help that would be great also Thanks.

Forum Member
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...t=87202&page=6

Odds are you wont hear back from the CIA for a bit...
    Waiting...I would rather be snowboarding

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolaid_002 View Post
    I am mort than qualified for the position.
    Usually it's the hiring agency that makes that determination, not the applicant. You may not be doing anything "wrong" per se, but if if there are more qualified applicants applying, they will get moved ahead of you. You may well meet the minimum qualifications, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are "more than qualified" to get hired, or even move to the next step in the process.

It sucks, but the reality of applying to federal jobs is you have to be patient, and sometimes the hiring processes can take more than a year. Mine lasted 3.5 years, and I wasn't initially notified after sending my applicantion for five (5) months... just to give you some perspective.

Forum Member
    Try PFPA next time they have an announcement out. Similiar mission as CIA and NSA, only better pay. Good working schedule too.
    This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Forum Member

Hey I am in the same boat as you. I received the same e-mail. I have my masters but I assume there are more qualified applicants than me. You will get something. Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Forum Member

^ I'm in the same boat as well. Most times they require prior law enforcement experience or other requirements in addition to the education. Make sure you apply multiple places like was posted above; US Park, Capitol, MPD, etc.

Forum Member

CIA NSA police

Its funny. They want people with experience. But how are people like us that have no experience supposed to get some if no one will give us a chance. It is so frustrating and depressing.

Forum Member

Its funny. They want people with experience. But how are people like us that have no experience supposed to get some if no one will give us a chance. It is so frustrating and depressing.
    Hey Koolaid,

Have you even applied for these two positions yet or just assuming you have no experience and they won't hire you? Send me a pm.
    Last edited by MiGuy; 01-20-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: edit......

Forum Member

welcome to trying to become a fed officer. I've applied to so many places, including SPS..even with a buddy who works there right now giving a referral I still haven't heard anything It's tough man, but you just gotta keep putting yourself out there and roll with whatever may happen
    Alphabet soup.....yummmmmmmm

One Night In Bangkok
    Join the military.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

I got my 2nd rejection letter today :/ And that was still after I used all my inside connections

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by SSterne View Post
    I got my 2nd rejection letter today :/ And that was still after I used all my inside connections
    Not all "inside connections" are particularly helpful in getting hired.

If all the other applicants who applied are sworn LEOs, and you come to the table as an armed security guard, the odds are the other applicants will be deemed more competitive for a law enforcement job. Just the way it is. If this is your second time to apply and things haven't worked out, and you're still interested in their agency, why not assess your situation and see what you can do to make yourself more competitive than you currently are? Maybe getting hired by a local PD and gaining some traditional law enforcement experience will help you to get hired on by CIA/NSA/intel police units, if that's where your interest is.

Forum Member

Kimble: Thanks for the insight. That's my plan

Forum Member

Its not funny at all. I wouldnt want a person with no experiance protecting secure locations. Just going to FLETC or a basic training of some sort isint enough in my opinion to set you up for a job for those agencys, just my 2 cents. Try CBP,TSA, IRS etc. TSA has Inspectors which are 1801's and will help you out. CBP has not only LEOs but CBP Techs which are 1802's. These type of jobs are more into hiring non Military persons, law enforcement etc....

As for now just get into the Govt, you can move around once you get in.

SGT. K

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP-K-9 View Post
    Its not funny at all. I wouldnt want a person with no experiance protecting secure locations. Just going to FLETC or a basic training of some sort isint enough in my opinion to set you up for a job for those agencys, just my 2 cents.
    Hmm... Interesting statement. Care to elaborate?
    Last edited by audio; 02-03-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by audio View Post
    Hmm... Interesting statement. Care to elaborate?

I think it says it all right there. As to what this person is saying in my opinion, I wouldnt just hire a person cause they have a degree, then send them off to an 11 week program and say, now you know all you need to know go protect some of the most important places. For certain jobs I would want a physical security type of background, LE, Military, some sort of force protection experiance. To me I want to know what have you been doing for the last 5 yrs. Just going to school, and you want to do somthing high speed low drag but dont know the flavor......If you wanted to do somthing like that and be patriotic, serve etc, join the military first, most of these people in my opinion dont have what it takes, so they try other ways to get there....if you cant sign your name on the line and go to a combat zone, i dont think just since you sat back and went to school you should be given a job...in this type of environment.

SGT. K

11B, 2002-2005 Iraq 2003-2004
    31B 2007-Present, current K-9 Handler over in Iraq
    DHS/TSA-2006-Present, in the process with a dozen positions with a few offers.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by MP-K-9 View Post
    I think it says it all right there. As to what this person is saying in my opinion, I wouldnt just hire a person cause they have a degree, then send them off to an 11 week program and say, now you know all you need to know go protect some of the most important places. For certain jobs I would want a physical security type of background, LE, Military, some sort of force protection experiance. To me I want to know what have you been doing for the last 5 yrs. Just going to school, and you want to do somthing high speed low drag but dont know the flavor......If you wanted to do somthing like that and be patriotic, serve etc, join the military first, most of these people in my opinion dont have what it takes, so they try other ways to get there....if you cant sign your name on the line and go to a combat zone, i dont think just since you sat back and went to school you should be given a job...in this type of environment.

SGT. K

11B, 2002-2005 Iraq 2003-2004
    31B 2007-Present, current K-9 Handler over in Iraq
    DHS/TSA-2006-Present, in the process with a dozen positions with a few offers.
    Funny...I know plenty of former military folks that couldn't hack being a LEO.....had one flunk out of my academy after being some high-speed, low-drag 11B Airbone dude from a 82nd line company..... Another 11B in my Academy blew his brains out after murdering his girlfriend in front of her kids once he got on the job......

In the meantime, I had a 45 year old former Hospital Equipment salesman out shoot everyone in my Academy and is now a LT with a decent sized Sheriff's Dept in FLA....runs their Traffic Section and is on their SRT Team....and he's in his 50s now.... Had several "kids" that got out of HS and worked construction jobs till they were 21 and got into the Academy and are now supervisors..... and several that had no LE/Military knowledge at all and now have succcessful LEO careers.....

And to add on.....from talking to my friends at the Missouri State Highway Patrol Academy and the Kansas City MO Police Acadmey, they have had plenty of military folks over the years that have dropped, quit, or got let go because they couldn't hack it......

Just sayin'......

95B20V5 from 88-93.....
    DS1 participant......
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 02-04-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Forum Member

I can see it, but like i said just my opinion for those positions starting out...
    SGT. K

11B, 2002-2005 - Iraq 2003-2004
    31B, 2007-Present, current K-9 Handler

"whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Forum Member
    Let me first say that these places DO offer positions to, and hire persons with many different types of backgrounds including those who lack military service, experience, and a degree. All of these people have helped complete the mission successfully. The proof… Both of these agencies are still operating. I’m not sure what “flavor” you speak of but if you are trying to compare the roll of this type of officer to being similar to a combat zone you are a little off the mark.

The last portion of you post is intriguing... Not everyone wants to or is afforded the opportunity to attend college. Plus, the military is not for everyone. If one is chosen over the other, no one should be given a hard time for either path they choose or must take. There are many ways to server your country and be patriotic. Not everyone nor even most everyone, that chooses to not join the military lack the courage or ability to succeed. The same goes with college. Also, are there not military officers who don’t have the same experience as an enlisted member of the service? Do these people not succeed in their mission?
    Last edited by audio; 02-04-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Toned it down a bit.

Forum Member

Also, are there not military officers who don’t have the same experience as an enlisted member of the service? Do these people not succeed in their mission?[/QUOTE]

I will agree about college, not all people have the chance to go right out of high school. But I have met in my time, many officers who dont have it just as enlisted. Thats part of being a newbe, we dont give up on them thow, it takes a little while but they get it.

My main point was how this person said they were more then quilified, well as we see there not, or NSA/CIA would have picked them up for a LE career. Were missing the other point that these agencys for that type of job are looking for those with experiance, thats why I put down a few places to apply to. Also if this person is set on those two agencys to try to get in another field then switch over to the LE side later.

GOOD LUCK, dont give up it will happen
    SGT. K

Forum Member

"KOOLAID"

heres a couple you may want to check out, both entry level.

PARK RANGER (LE/REFUGE)
    Job Announcement Number: WA311164-DZ
    Pay Plan: GS-0025-07/05
    Location: US-Site to be determined after selection is made Active U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 1/26/2010

1/26/2010 POLICE OFFICER, GL-0083-4/5/6/7/8
    Job Announcement Number: D-OLES 10/10
    Pay Plan: GL-0083-08/04
    Location: US-Site to be determined after selection is made Active Bureau of Indian Affairs
    SGT. K

Forum Member

I have read all of the replies, and thanks to everyone that replied. I know that I may lack experience but I have a degree. I know that I may not have the experience but I will keep on applying, maybe they will get sick of me applying and give me a chance. So I guess the question is, I have a few things going with a few other departments like NAshville, Memphis, the Capitol Police. If I were able to get into one of these even these are not Fed positions (I know capitol police is fed Capitol police) but if I got a position with one this would increase my chances in the long run with a Federal position? I know it probably would but could it too close some doors to some agancies because I may have ways of doing things that they dont want me to do? Thanks again to everyone. And common no arguing we all are patriots wether you are in the military, or some type of LE or we would not be on here trying to help others get a job to do the same.

Forum Member

Anything you do as a LEO or with an agency will help your overall objective. Take the LEO job that comes your way and see where it takes you. When you feel the time is right, make the move. Also, don't worry about the way you learn things, when you go to that other agency's interview, you just insure them, however they want it, is how it's going to be...You will be fine, with that type of persistance you will achieve your goal.

SGT. K
    SGT. K

Forum Member

A Degree alone does not guarantee a job or just because you studied the strain theory in criminology class makes you an expert for the job. Same goes for military. Sure, it requires discipline and physical fitness but you do not need to be a rocket scientist to join the army. Being a MP doesn’t mean crap in most civilian police agencies. The training isn’t accepted anywhere, as an equivalent of training for most municipalities. If you can get on in a city or town then do that. Working force protection is not my cup of tea. Might be to some people, just evaluate where you want to go in your career. Either doing traditional police work in a municipality or state agency where you can do your 20 and out or working for the fed where they will mostly have you doing protection work. If you want to do traditional police work, then just use the FED as an avenue to do that. Most municipalities do not accept FLETC so just keep that in mind. Use it as a resume builder and move on.

Forum Member
    Here is what I did.

Emailed the cia showing my interest in their "clandestine" positions. Recieved an email about 2 weeks later. Replied to his email, gave him my phone number, he called me the next day and set up a "secret meeting". Met up with a guy who called himself "Aj", he talked to me for 2 hours, took all my info and said he'd send it to " DC". He called me exactly a month later with a job offer. $18,000 a month for 9 months. $196,000 total for 9 months BUT they said I have to go to Iraq or Afghanistan. I respectfully declind his offer and now I work at a fish and chicken restaurant lol ...i am 19 yrs old with only a high school diploma. I speak 5 languages though, including Faris and Arabic. They have many ways of hiring and contacting you. If they need you they will kiss your *****. They needed my language skills so thats why they replied to me so fast and without any of the interviews or crap. Just keep trying with different agencies, DIA,FBI,ICE,NSA,CBP,DEA or any police agency. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last