Forum Member

Excellent, Cheap, and Homemade Gun Lube

This is a formula called "Bug Juice" we learned at an NRA Instructor School:
    *2-Quarts Synthetic Motor Oil. We used 10-30 but weight ain't really important.
    *1-Quart Automatic Transmission Fluid. Brand and spec. don't matter.
    *1-Bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
    *1-7 oz. jar of Hoppe's Solvent.

Get a one-gallon plastic mayo jar/jug from a restuarant. WARNING:Wash the mayo jug out to remove any mayonaise from inside the jar and dry.

Pour the oil, ATF in first and shake well.
    Add the STP and then the Hoppe's and mix well.

It should cost around $30 to mix a gallon, which breaks down to .20 cents an ounce. Much less expensive than store bought lubes.
    BE WARNED, THIS STUFF IS SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!

A little goes a long way. Give your friends some. It is some amazing liquid.

Also, for cleaning, just use straight ATF. It is high detergent and a lubricant as well.

Luck in battle, boy.
    I will have to test this against Dad's secret family recipe of beeswax, parafin, and 3-in-1.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    I just use CLP, haha.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Forum Member

I have concerns about a solvent being part of a lube (Hoppe's). Other than that, I have the whole thing out to some trusted friends for confirmation. Considering the price of things these days, it's worth a try.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Bounce,
    I had the same concerns but Hoppes 9 is a powder solvent and really isn't that strong. Nothing like ammonia based copper-dissolving solvents. I can only figure that the Hoppes aids in the "creepyness" of this stuff. It creeps like kudzu even though it is quite thick. This formula is attributed to U.S. Army armorers and has been tweaked here and there for several years now. We made ours on Tuesday and three guns were cleaned by the NRA Instructors and lubed with this stuff and the three gun not cleaned at all for 700 to 800 rounds.

I was somewhat sceptical but the performance speaks for itself. I have never seen a lube that seeks out crevices and stays put. It will leave your hands smoother than a baby's butt!
    It is not a copper solvent. You must use a copper solvent or paste to remove the copper from the bore.

I'm not Biily Mays and claiming that it defies physics but I feel that it is such a good lube that I have to share it with my brother officers.

I'm buying a case of 4 oz. flip top bottles and am going to fill em with Bug Juice and give them out for Christmas!

Forum Member

My friend (who's highly active as a Range Officer at the Camp Perry events) said it sounds like, "Ed's Red".

Thanks again for sharing it as it's the first time I've seen it mentioned in more than 45 years of shooting.

Head Honcho
    I'll give it a try when I run out of what i got
    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Not so Special Agent...
    Looked this up after a buddy of mine gave me a similar formula. Mixed it up and I have to say it's awesome. Makes sense too, engines and guns both have high temps, carbon deposits, and high friction between metal parts. I'm pretty happy with the results so far and can't beat the price at $30 per gallon.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Thanks, but just like I used different viscosities of oil and types of grease on different parts of the cars, truck and motorcycle. I will use the correct products on my firearms.

I don't see skimping out on a $5.00 bottle of lube that will last a LOOOOONNNNNGG time on a $5000 rifle. Hell, my ammo costs more than the proper lube.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post
    This is a formula called "Bug Juice" we learned at an NRA Instructor School:
    Lots of people simply use Mobile 1 as their lube, and so far, seems to work quite well. Personally, I prefer gun grease type products, but I know many who use Mobile 1.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
    Thanks, but just like I used different viscosities of oil and types of grease on different parts of the cars, truck and motorcycle. I will use the correct products on my firearms.

I don't see skimping out on a $5.00 bottle of lube that will last a LOOOOONNNNNGG time on a $5000 rifle. Hell, my ammo costs more than the proper lube.
    Just how CHEAP does one have to be to make their own gun lube?

I use Tetra Lube (It’s snotty and stays put, and doesn’t go all over the place like oil does).

I’ve altered a little bit of the finish on a composite frame using stuff I wasn’t supposed to. So I simply don’t use non firearm products on firearms

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by SCV-Sop View Post
    Just how CHEAP does one have to be to make their own gun lube?

I use Tetra Lube
    Me too. As mentioned, I like the gun grease style products and Tetra works well. Shooters Choice works well, as does the Wilson product. For the uber cheap. a can of mobile 1 will probably last decades if used for a lube and no mixing of various chems needed.

Me, I don't mind spending $10 on a tube of Tetra that lasts years to protect 2k-3k custom 1911s, etc.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-10-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
    Yeah, I think I've had the same cans of RemOil and Hoppes for the last 10 years. Even with things the way they are, its still only like 7 bucks a can.
    Last edited by reils49; 06-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Forum Member
    I doubt I've used a gallon of lube in my life time. A tube of tetra lasts me years.

Not a bad cost saver if you're running a range, I guess, but seems kind of overboard for the average shooter.

NOT banned
    G96....no offense, I will stick with it

Astra Glide works well, so Dangle tells me
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Not so Special Agent...
    So... the other stuff is better because it says "gun" on the bottle or because it's actually better? Some people like brewing their own beer and I guess I'm getting into making my own gun lube. Don't knock it until you research it and try it.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Civillian
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    I doubt I've used a gallon of lube in my life time.
    You must be forgetting your teenage years of lonely nights and swimwear catalogs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yellowreef View Post
    So... the other stuff is better because it says "gun" on the bottle or because it's actually better? Some people like brewing their own beer and I guess I'm getting into making my own gun lube. Don't knock it until you research it and try it.
    Yes, because it says “gun” on the side.

I don’t’ see anyone here putting Hops oil in their V8’s do I?

When it comes down to it, we do what we do because we like to tinker and see the results for ourselves (even in the face of know results from others). I choose to tinker with other things.

Having played with engines a lot, and having played with firearms a lot I personally already know I would rather have gun industry related cleaners and lubricants all over my hands than automotive oil all over my hands. Transmission oil is the worst.

And once you pull that trigger what ever is on the gun is now all over your hands.

I’m finding I prefer greases like Tetra rather than oils. It stays in place, doesn’t get blasted everywhere nearly as much and the gun doesn’t dry out nearly as fast when shooting a lot between cleanings.

It’s fun to tinker and experiment, but making my own lube isn’t going to materially reduce the cost of my shooting nor will it have any impact on the performance of my shooting skill.

Also, as it pertains to 1911s, the internals like the sear and trigger mechanism need to be lubricated in order to optimize trigger pull resistance. I think it’s better with a grease in there than an oil.
    Last edited by SCV-Sop; 06-11-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCV-Sop View Post
    I don’t’ see anyone here putting Hops oil in their V8’s do I?
    I don't like tomato juice to begin with. I doubt adding Hoppes would change that.

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

NOT banned
    If that was for me, then yes...I will use it. I dunno if its better or not, just saying I will drive 7 minutes to pick up a can than picking up all the other items and mixing them up. Not dogging or knocking on the mix, just dont need that much

PS, and I LOVE the smell of it...

PSS anyone hear of gunslick pro?? I saw an ad in a mag this AM whilst on a sit down R-call....foaming cleaner ...just curious
    Last edited by crass cop; 06-11-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Look at it this way.

If you shoot a pistol and fire a couple hundred rounds in a range session, you will probably be OK with whatever.

If you really want to see how your "lube" holds up. Grab an M4 and head to a Pat Rogers or other carbine course. Use your lube and see how it goes.

I have been using Militec1 because even after I burn the lube off the weapon seems to keep running. All I need to do to get through a long range day is squirt some in the bolt at lunch and drive on.

I can't comment on "Ed's Red" or your version of lube because I have not used it. I prefer to spend my time loading ammo or working on my skills. It's just too easy to add a bottle of lube to a Brownells order or use what we have in the range box.

I am not telling you NOT to use what you are brewing up. I just choose to use the store bought stuff.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Forum Member
    I think that is a great thing for a range, an armory, etc... However, I don't think its really worth it for average shooters. You're going to end up with a lube that is 20 years old at some point, as I doubt you're going to use up a gallon of lube very soon. Personally, I use grease. It doesn't have to be the $10/tube stuff, as a tub of high-temp grease at Wal-Mart will do just fine.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Civilian Sheepdog
    If I were to mix my own, it would be Synthetic(Mobil1)/Lithium mix.
    Last edited by zeplin; 06-13-2010 at 09:27 PM.

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeplin View Post
    If I were to mix my own, it would be Synthetic(Mobil1)/Lithium mix.
    Problems with manic depression? Range time can be a good, temporary fix.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Civilian Sheepdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Problems with manic depression? Range time can be a good, temporary fix.
    Well, if you can't get that precious range time in, just take 2 oz of my formula and I'll guarantee it to make all your troubles slide out fast.

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer