Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Mystery beeping from 2006 Crown Vic???

Our agency has a 2006 Crown Vic with about 53,000 miles. Recently the car has had a mystery chiming or beeping that appears to be coming from somewhere in the dash. It sounds similar to the door open chime, but is much louder. The beeping goes in cycles, 5 beeps at a time. Usually starts happening after you’ve been driving the car for at least a couple hours.

It has been to the mechanic several times, but he keeps saying he can’t find the problem. Anyone have ever heard or dealt with this before? Any ideas how to get it stop/ repaired? It is driving everyone nuts!

"There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Forum Member

We have Impala's, but it may be the warning to put your seatbelt on. The Impala's have a weight sensor in the Passenger seat, so if you have your duty bag next to you, the car may think someone is sitting there without a seatbelt on, prompting the chime.. Not sure if the Crown Vics have the same thing..try fastening the seatbelt on the passenger side, see if it helps..if not, I have no idea..

Solo is how I roll
    I had an 06 that did the exact same thing to me. It ended up getting reassigned to someone else, so I don't know if the problem was ever fixed.

I mentioned the problem to a mechanic friend of mine afterwards and he told me that the fix for it was replacing the bulb for the SRS/airbag light in the instrument cluster. The beeping is a warning device to let you know it is out.

You might try that.

Good luck, I remember it was extremely annoying to listen to....

Forum Member
    Thats the belt minder alarm. The alarm itself is built into the controller mounted in the dash above the steering wheel.

Have you used the direction in the owners manual to turn of both front seatbelts from activivating the chime?

Forum Member
    I agree with the other guys, sounds like the seatbelt alarm.

OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    Guys, it's not the seatbelt alarm. Prior to my current unit I drove a 2006 Crown Vic, with the seatbelt alarm turned off as described in the owners manual, I experienced the same thing that the OP experienced. I was NEVER able to pin point what it was, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was not the seatbelt reminder alarm.

It's also got nothing to do with the passenger side airbag or weight sensor.

I'd say try what statebear said, that's worth a shot.

Forum Member
    Our newer vic's have problems with instruments and warning lights, etc. I think statebear is on the money.

My guess is a light is burnt out and the car is trying to alert you to something. I was recently driving one and it was dinging like you described with the tire pressure lit. I think our mechanic narrowed it down to a faulty tire air pressure sensor and everything was fine.

Retired NYPD
    Just make the radio louder!

God Bless Texas
    My '08 CVPI would chime like that if you turned your turn signal on and forgot about it (We had one turn in particular that wasn't enough of a turn to deactivate the turn signal once you straightened out). It's not that is it?
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PtlCop View Post
    Guys, it's not the seatbelt alarm. Prior to my current unit I drove a 2006 Crown Vic, with the seatbelt alarm turned off as described in the owners manual, I experienced the same thing that the OP experienced. I was NEVER able to pin point what it was, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was not the seatbelt reminder alarm.
    Ford has some issues with the seat belt reminder. My dad's Ranger will sound the seat belt minder even with both plugged in. Its likely its the seat belt reminder alarm malfunctioning, even if "turned off".

OH NO IT'S FIVE-O!
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    Ford has some issues with the seat belt reminder. My dad's Ranger will sound the seat belt minder even with both plugged in. Its likely its the seat belt reminder alarm malfunctioning, even if "turned off".
    This "beep" is a softer tone than the seatbelt reminder.

Forum Member
    I know it’s not the seatbelt reminder, I know what that sounds like and it's totally different. I am starting to think that it has something to do with the airbag sensor like some of you have suggested, thanks. Now we just have to convince our mechanic that it's a real thing and where to start looking to fix it.

But, at least we can all agree on one thing… Crown Vics do weird stuff. Lol.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Forum Member
    We had a fire department rescue truck (1998 Ford) that made a loud, steady, irritating noise, inside the cab, from time to time which made it difficult to hear the radio. And no it didn't have air breaks. Some times it would come on soon after we would start the truck and other time it would come on when we got down the road. We tried every thing like putting on all the seat belts, shutting the doors again, the hood, air restriction meter, compartment doors, break fluid, lights, tires, telling it how much we loved her, washing it etc and nothing seemed to make a difference. A few times we'd thought we solved the problem only for to start up again after a few days.
    We told the mechanics about it who couldn't find the problem or the sound because it would never do it for them. After some time though it stopped. I can't remember what was done to it to make it stop.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

In Soviet Russia...
    Maybe there is a large rat in the dash
    "What the problem is?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc_chiller View Post
    But, at least we can all agree on one thing… Crown Vics do weird stuff. Lol.
    Yes, they all suffer from blue oval disease..lol

Gang Tactic Mode

Is Ford ever going to fix the "ghost in the radio" problem? Every Crown Vic I've driven the past 5-6 years have the same problem.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Forum Member
    I had an alarm like that. It was an airbag warning. I had Ford look at it and they fixed it. Some kind of sensor failure.

Mitch...inappropriate!

Everyone knows it means the Flux Capacitor is overheating. Have Doc check it out.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    Is Ford ever going to fix the "ghost in the radio" problem? Every Crown Vic I've driven the past 5-6 years have the same problem.

Ha, yea gotta love the radio suddenly shooting up to full volume or turning all the way down for no reason. have gotten used to that though.

Solo is how I roll
    LOL.....I thought I was the only one that had experienced the "ghost radio." Nice to know I am not the only one....

RIP Seann1
    +1 airbag or ABS warning light/sensor issue.

Has happened in our cars several times.

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Verbal Sniper
    Mine just started making that noise Sunday around 1830. Never heard it before and neither myself nor the people I was out with could figure out what it was. Huh. Now I know.

The ghost in the radio is tied to my rapid acceleration. Everytime I have experienced it, it has been during rapid acceleration. Like I'm in some sort of race game in an arcade.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Definitely the Flux Capacitor!

:-)

Forum Member
    My ghost radio seems to do its thing only when I'm about to call traffic. Just as I'm keying the mic calling the stop, AC/DC starts cranking....go figure.

What had happend was!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1430 View Post
    My ghost radio seems to do its thing only when I'm about to call traffic. Just as I'm keying the mic calling the stop, AC/DC starts cranking....go figure.

I've had a few interesting court cases off my in-car because of that. Guess my Vic has a thing for Metallica.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last