Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Tazed Ten Year Old

I'm surprised nobody's made mention of this story yet (I couldn't find it).

In any event, my feeling is it's a complete bag-o-$hit. While it sounds bad to taze a ten year old, I'm thinking it might be better than beating the crap outta her. Funny thing is Momma is on board yet Papa is pitchin a fit. Mayor is a tool bag. Poor deputy/officer caught in the middle (IMO). I'm leaning toward supporting the officer but he's being put in the crosshairs because of the sensationalism and of course dipchit dad, who's using this for a custody case.

Thoughts?

http://www.officer.com/web/online/To...-Officer-Uses-
    Taser-on-10-Year-Old-Girl/1$49375
    Ark. Officer Uses Taser on 10-Year-Old Girl
    Posted: November 18th, 2009 11:41 AM GMT-05:00

Story by 4029tv.com

OZARK, Ark. --

Ozark police said they were called to a home where a mother asked for help with her unruly child, but the 10-year-old's father said he's outraged at the force police used against his daughter.

"I would like to say Ozark police Tased this little girl right here. Ten years old and [they] shot electricity through her body, and I want to know how the heck in God's green earth can they get away with this," said the girl's father, Anthony Medlock.

Medlock said his daughter was at her mother's house when Ozark police Officer Dustin Bradshaw shocked her in the back with a Taser and arrested her.

"If you can't pick the kid up and take her to your car, handcuff her, then I don't think you need to be an officer," Medlock said.

Medlock said his daughter does show signs of having emotional issues, but she "doesn't deserve to be treated like a dog. She's not a tiger."

According to a police report, the officer was called to the home by the mother and witnessed the child kicking and screaming.

The officer's statement said the girl's mother, Kelly Hamlert, told him to use a Taser on her if he needed to.

The officer did shock the girl after he said she kicked him in the groin.

"He had no other choice. He had to get the child under control," said Ozark police Chief Jim Noggle.

Noggle said the officer shocked the girl for about a second.

Ozark police said it is their policy to use a Taser on someone who is a threat to others, no matter their age.

Noggle said simply restraining the child could be harmful.

"Well, if he tried to restrain her, he might hurt her by restraining her. If you grab somebody, you can slip an arm out of joint. They can slip from you and fall on the ground," Noggle said.

"I don't know what kind of policy it is. I don't think it's right," Medlock said.

Medlock said this is not the first time the girl's mother has called police to take her daughter to a juvenile facility. He said he will now try to get custody of his daughter.

"She just wants somebody to love her, and I do," he said.

40/29 News checked with several other police agencies about their taser policies. The Fort Smith Police Department said it will only uses a Taser on a person 14 years old or older if they are a threat to someone.

Fort Smith Police said it's usually the discretion of each police department to make their own policies on using a Taser.

Noggle said no action is being taken against the Ozark officer who used the Taser on the girl, and he said her case will go before the juvenile court system.
    http://www.officer.com/online/articl...ion=1&id=49391
    Ark. Officer Suspended After Taser Incident
    Posted: November 19th, 2009 12:46 PM GMT-05:00

Story by 4029tv.com

OZARK, Ark. --

On Wednesday, the mayor of Ozark weighed in on the decision made by one of the city's officers to use his Taser on a 10-year-old girl.

"Certainly I was personally shocked to find out that it took place," said Vernon McDaniel.

For the first time Kelly King, the mother of the young girl who authorized the officer to use his Taser gun spoke. She told 40/29 News that she stands by Officer Dustin Bradshaw's act because her daughter was "out of control."

The girl's father, Anthony Medlock, maintains that the Taser should have never been used.

King said her daughter has been diagnosed with having a mood disorder and when she acts out it can turn violent.

"I want to make this clear, I'm not calling them (police) over here to handle my problem," King said. "I'm having them come over here to protect my daughter from hurting herself or hurting someone else."

McDaniel said Bradshaw acted within department policy when he used his Taser as a stun gun on the 10-year-old girl, but said Bradshaw neglected to turn on a video recording system that's part of the Taser.

McDaniel said that was a violation of department policy and had it been on it would have captured the situation as it unfolded.

In a police report, Bradshaw said the Taser was used after the young girl kicked him in his groin.

"The officer in question has been suspended for seven days for failure to have his camera on at the time of the incident," McDaniel said.

While Bradshaw is suspended with pay, McDaniel is asking the Arkansas State Police to open a criminal investigation into his actions.

"We want to be fair to all concerned and that is the purpose of asking for an outside agency to investigate the incident," McDaniel said.

Medlock said he is angry that the officer's camera wasn't activated, but said the Taser should have never been used to arrest his daughter.

Medlock said he is welcoming the mayor's request for a criminal investigation.

"I don't know if justice will come out of it or not, but I'm going to do my damndest to get justice out of it," Medlock said. "Somebody needs to pay. Seven days suspended with pay that isn’t anything. That's not even a slap on the wrist."

King said that she has talked to her daughter who remains in a juvenile detention center.

King said her daughter is doing great and that she can't wait to bring her home.

The 10-year-old girl faces a charge or disorderly conduct.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Forum Member
    Come on already. I can't remember the last time I needed to call the Police because my ten year old was acting up.

Lucky a Taser was the only thing she got

Noggle said simply restraining the child could be harmful.

"Well, if he tried to restrain her, he might hurt her by restraining her. If you grab somebody, you can slip an arm out of joint. They can slip from you and fall on the ground," Noggle said.
    He was in a No win situation And in other News, "Officer breaks 10 year olds Arm".

For the first time Kelly King, the mother of the young girl who authorized the officer to use his Taser gun spoke. She told 40/29 News that she stands by Officer Dustin Bradshaw's act because her daughter was "out of control."
    Good For Her!

Bigfoot Country
    Uh oh. You're not supposed to taze kids?

Forum Member
    Dial a Daddy at its finest.

Forum Member

I'm curious - Do most "parent my kid" type calls you guys get on 12 and unders seem to be kids who have extraordinary problems (such as say, psychotic episodes, severe autism involving aggressive or self-injurious behavior, psychopathic behavior, etc.) or do they usually involve ordinary issues normal parents can handle(my 2 yr old threw a tantrum, my 9 year old won't clean his room, etc.)?

Forum Member

Oh I see officers are offering a new 24/7 on call parenting service now

Forum Member

Nope, most of the "parent my kid" types have been with fairly normal kids. Granted, I refuse to buy into ADHD, bi-polar, central-auditory processing disorder, etc; I think that is all horse manure and parents' excuse to not parent and doctor's excuse to write 'scripts.

My calls have been "RP reports her 9-year-old son is threatening to run away and she can't control him," "RP reports she wants an officer to respond as she cannot get her 10-year-old son to go to school" and the like. We also get calls of "domestic assaults" which are nothing more than sibling squabbles where a 10 year old smacks the 9 year old for changing the TV channel.

As it stands, I wouldn't taser a kid under 13 or 14, though many of them are larger than I am. I just don't know for sure if my department would stand behind me on that.

Forum Member

This is probably biased, but the father sort of has a point. If the mother is unable to care for the child without calling the police repeatedly why not give the father a chance? It sounds like the girl had some physical/mental issues and tazing may not be the best thing for someone like that. Basically if the mom can't do the job than its time to let daddy take care of her. It's better than mom calling the police every few days for "electroshock therapy."

Forum Member

I know children are no no for AEDs.

This is stupid. The mom calls police because the kid doesn't want to get in the shower before bed?

If I was the officer as soon as I heard that I would have walked back to my car and drove away.
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic71482_1.gif

Forum Member
    I would not have tased. No matter how justified it was, I do not want to jeapordize my career when there are other more acceptable methods. I would have waited for a few more officers and just restrained her. You can't convince the public how tasing a 10yo is justified and the public outcry is what will get your badge.
    Now if she's crazy with a knife or some other weapon all bets are off.

Forum Member

Hate these type of calls. I would not want to use the ecd on a 10 year old, but never say never.

What bothers me more about this story is the fact that the first article shows the Chief stood up for his guy then the second he's suspended for 7 days. I dislike Backbone-less departments that let the media and sensationalism guide their decisions, presumably, thats weak.

Forum Member

Heck, I just used a squirt gun on my kids when they were little.

Band-aid jockey
    A kick to the nads. I would have been mad sure. But in order to avoid a second kick to the nads what else could you do. OC, no, ASP, hell no. PPCT, maybe but like the Chief stated some things can do more harm than good.

Forum Member
    At what point do you lose control of a TEN year old. Lets look at the lack of parenting before we look at the officers who have been called there several times.
    Once again we are called to fix problems in 5 minutes that took years to make.
    I wasn't there, but it seems pretty simple to me. If the officer felt he had to use the Taser then apparently he felt threatened.
    I have dealt with enough kids to know that they can be just as dangerous as an adult if not more so. Most officers try to be "nice" to kids and end up getting in the fight of their lives.
    Bottom line......Officer went home, kid was not hurt!!!!!!!!

"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE"
    You have to go out, but you don't have to come back!!

Coming to a CRACK HOUSE NEAR YOU!!!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeislander View Post
    I know children are no no for AEDs.
    Who taught you that? You can defibrillate children. Kids over 8 get standard paddles, kids under 8 are supposed to get the special pediatric paddles but can still be shocked with the AED.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KapsFB View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's made mention of this story yet (I couldn't find it).
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...hlight=Medlock

Forum Member

"Certainly I was personally shocked to find out that it took place," said Vernon McDaniel.
    Not as shocked as she was.. heheh. Come on... anybody??.. Anybody?

Excellent choice of words, Mr. Mayor.

Verbal Sniper
    When I first heard this story, it surprised me. However, I'd dealt with some pretty far out of control people and can appreciate that deploying a tazer can be better than going hands on. I've hurt and been hurt many times in restraining someone...even the smaller ones. I do know a couple of things: I'm real glad its not me in this situation, secondly, I try not to say what I'll 'never' do because if this job has taught me anything its that making that statement will make you look the fool at some point. I'm surprised the mother is standing up for the Officer. I also agree with the sentiment that parenting should be looked at.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Any time you have a chance to prove me wrong eh?

I stand proven wrong.....sacum frazum razum frazum

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Forum Member

not to long ago one of our officers got into it with a 14yr old female. Big Momma stood on the porch while her 'baby' scratched, kicked, bit and attempted to grab the officers weapon in the front yard. She recieved a broken arm for her efforts to disarm him. No days off, no reprimand.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    Who taught you that? You can defibrillate children. Kids over 8 get standard paddles, kids under 8 are supposed to get the special pediatric paddles but can still be shocked with the AED.
    LOL. I was scrolling down to post a reply to this.

Forum Member
    We've visited this issue on the Arkansas forum. I don't think any of us care that the kid got tased.

StainlessSteve
    Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    I would not have tased. No matter how justified it was, I do not want to jeapordize my career when there are other more acceptable methods. I would have waited for a few more officers and just restrained her. You can't convince the public how tasing a 10yo is justified and the public outcry is what will get your badge.
    Now if she's crazy with a knife or some other weapon all bets are off.
    I like this answer best, I don't think you can rationalize what lead up to the "zap" and why, but you could say that the circumstances do not qualify...

Forum Member
    'nough said. Seriously.

Not even that, but she probably would have been injured had he picked her up. Then the Officer would have been insulted for 'assaulting' a little precious girl.

Some situations are no win.
    Last edited by LINY; 11-21-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Forum Member

I was called to an elementary school the day before last to give assistance with a 9 year old. He pushed his teacher into a door frame and bent her finger back. Turns out the kid has been diagnosed with Asbergers(he looked it) by a civilian doc. The school shrink said he's just "defiant". The kid has a history of biting and scratching himself and is seriously on edge because of an eczema break out. His teacher tries to handle him like a normal bratty kid. Mom wants him to spend a few days in juvie to "straighten him out". We can't do anything till the kid hits 10(on Dec.1st). Then all bets are off and this kid might wind up in the back of a squad car for assault.
    I know one thing. I don't want to have to wrestle a 10 year old with a sensory integration disorder into handcuffs. They're going to have a fight and a half with him. Thank god it's not in my jurisdiction cause I wouldn't really know what to do with him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last