Forum Member

Visiting an inmate?

Hey guys, I wonder if you are planning to join any law enforcement agency as the NYPD, Court Officer, FBI and others, do any jail/prisons keep records of your visit, do they take pictures or fingerprints of visitors that can later on affect your background hiring investigation due to the relations with an inmate?

thanks!

forum member
    Our jails in Calee keep records of every visit. Why would you want to visit someone in jail/prison.

It's a matter of ethics. Take the oath and draw the line. If you can't then don't take the oath..period.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

i visited someone a few years ago in nassau corrections, while processing for NYPD it never came up and they never asked about it. Besides whats wrong with visiting someone in jail?
    NYPD Exam #8310
    Medical: Passed
    Psychological: Passed
    JST: Passed
    BI: Done

forum member
    It's a matter of ETHICS. Take the oath and draw the line. If you can't then don't take the oath..period.

It is taboo. Out here, an IA is automatic...your loyalty and integrity amonst your peers will also be questioned.

Do what you want....
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

well, thats true deputyx2, its a matter of ethics, but i was just curious because i've heard stories of people visiting inmates that later on it becomes a problem or an impediment for their career with the law enforcement.

thank your for your opinion.

forum member
    If I was your BG investigator and I had to choose between two candidates for one position...one visits inmates at the jail and the other one doesn't??? That's a no brainer.

Just remember, your past can come back to haunt you. As an adult and more so a cop, you are held to a making smart choices in life. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you in the hiring process.

Rookie

your not supposed to associate with known criminals.