Forum Member

Question Failure to provide DMV with change of address within 30 days.....

This last weekend I was pulled over in downtown LA because the officer believes he saw me cruise through a stop sign. (I am not here to plead my case, but he did not have a direct line of sight). After pleading my case to the officer and explaining where I stopped (the stop line was not clearly marked so I stopped about 5 feet before the sign where I believe I saw a line), He took my information back to his car to check everything out.

After what seemed like an eternity he came back and asked me about my current address. I explained my current address (since 01-2008) was the address that matched my insurance and registration. My license did not show my current address because it was renewed a year before I moved. But as soon as I moved, I completed a change of address online for my license and all my vehicles.

So he goes back to his cruiser, then comes back a few minutes later with a citation. He explains that my story was believeable about the stop, so he is only citing me for the failure to provide the DMV with a change of address within 30 days.

Of course, since the COA was completed online, there was no yellow card supplied too carry with my license.

But today I called the DMV and they confirmed that as of Jan 30th 2008, they show my current address is my address on file.

I am not looking for information on how to fight this (I know I just need to get a printout from my local DMV office to get the ticket dismissed), and I am not here to slam the officer (He was just doing his job and believed the information he had was correct).

I am wondering how this would be preventable in the future? Should I file another change of address in person at the DMV just so I can get that little yellow card? Or maybe I can just get the yellow card....

The last time I got pulled over (Feb of 2008), the officer questioned my change of address but in the end it was a non-issue.

I thank you all for your service and certainly appreciate any insight.

My license does not expire until 2012, so getting a replacement is kinda out of the question. Especially if I am going to be moving in the next 6 months from an apartment into a home.

nom de plume
    This might be a case of the cop not fully knowing the law.

Here is what the California Vehicle Code says:

Change of Address

14600. (a) Whenever any person after applying for or receiving a driver's license moves to a new residence, or acquires a new mailing address different from the address shown in the application or in the license as issued, he or she shall within 10 days thereafter notify the department of both the old and new address. The department may issue a document to accompany the drivers license reflecting the new address of the holder of the license.

(b) When, pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12951, a driver presents his or her drivers license to a peace officer, he or she shall, if applicable, also present the document issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the drivers license does not reflect the drivers current residence or mailing address.

Amended Ch. 1243, Stats. 1992. Effective September 30, 1992.
    Now, you asked what to do; well, it is recommended and directed that you write your new address on the reverse of your drivers license or use a label to write the new address on and apply it to the reverse of your license. You must also do the same for your registration certificate. By the way, your change of address notification, as stated above, must be made within 10 days of the move. That applies to your drivers license, registration, insurance, etc.

Good luck!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Here, when you change your address online, you're provided with a permit you can print out and carry with your old DL until your new one comes in.
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

All cattle, no hat
    bug, we get our drivers license returns from the DMV. If he ran your DL, which I am sure he did, then he would have seen the new address on the return. If someone tells me they changed it online but didn't have a printout like texasaggieofc said, then I will check the DL return. If the address on that return matches what you said, then you're good to go. If not, you can be cited.

Sometimes the DMV does not post the new address right of way and sometimes they make mistakes and they don't get posted at all. In that case, the officer has no way of knowing and we aren't to apt to take your word for it. Since you did contact the DMV, and they said they have records that you did change it in the prescribed time frame, get it in writing from them and take it to the court and see if they will dismiss it without going to trial.

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

wow

Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    This might be a case of the cop not fully knowing the law.
    An officer for a year, new to the web site and can come on here and criticize another officer. Yep, you gotta luv the web sites.

But you are right he did tell the poster 30 days when it's only 10 days.

It's 10-days in neck of the woods too. You can also be arrested for it.

A reminder is printed on the back of the DL also. If you do it online, you are given a receipt to print that must be carried with your D/L. VERY few people do this. You can do it in person too on a triplicate form that you must carry with you. Even fewer people do that.

When I moved, it took about 2 weeks before I got tired of people asking if I really lived at my old place (clear across the state) when I showed ID, so I paid the $4 and got a replacement DL. Well worth my investment.

I wish the law actually required a new DL. I also wish there was more public education about the matter. It's very difficult to notify next of kin when people never change their DL/registration addresses. It's just annoying on traffic stops too and amazing how many people allegedly don't know their own address or don't know their ZIP code.

In Florida you get 10 days to update your address, no exceptions if your moving again in six months.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member
    Wow. I wasn't expecting my thread to still be alive.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened in the cruiser, but I called the DMV to find out what my current address on file was, to which they told me that my current address is the address on file as of Jan 2008.

So I sent in a trial by written declaration with my statement, along with copies of last years registrations for my vehicles, and (of course) my bail. I am hoping that will be enough to get the case dismissed and bail refunded. The reason I sent last years vehicle registration is to show that the DMV did in fact know my address prior to my date of citation.

To prevent future instances of this from occuring again, I went to the DMV and got myself one of the official "Change of Address" cards to carry with my license.

In the mean time; Stuff happens and Life goes on.

Thanks for the help, and stay safe out there.

nom de plume
    Does your state vehicle registration and drivers license link address. Or do you have to update both separately.