Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Forum Member

Best .45 auto currently for duty weapon?

I would like to replace my Taurus .45 24/7. The trigger pull is forever and a day. Recommendations? Looking for a reliable high capacity .45 pistol.

Thanks,
    John Runer
    ACO/Custer County Reserve Deputy

Forum Member
    Para Ordnance, 14+1 of 45 ACP mmmmmmmm...

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=69

Forum Member
    Plus they have really nice discounts for LE.

Forum Member
    For on duty, I have found little better than the Glock 21. Maybe the 21SF...

If you want "just a little bit more," then look at the Springfield XD 45 Tactical. Finding a holster and accessories won't be as easy as for the Glock, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

If you can find a range to try these two out, and you find out you don't like them for some reason, check out the S&W M&P45. It has interchangeable backstraps, so it should be able to fit your hand with one of the inserts available.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Forum Member
    I love my Kimber SIS. It's a sweet shooting gun!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member

If youre approved for 1911 carry I'd say pick a 1911. However if you're like me and you're stuck with other options I'd say you cant go wrong with either the Glock 21 or HK USP. The MP and XD both seem to be top of the line guns but they dont quite have the long term track record of the Glock or the HK. I carry the Glock, but several of my partners carry the USP and they love it.

Retired Lawdog
    Do you have an approved list from your department? Glocks are popular for a good reason, rugged, tough and dependable, plus accessories are readily available. Lot's of good choices out there!

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Forum Member
    I would have to agree with the Glock 21 or the Springfield XD if you are looking for a high Cap Glock. I have an XD 45 and find it to be one of the most accurate 45 I have ever shot. I worked at a gun dealership and range for about 2 years and have fired ALOT of guns and would def go with the Springfield.
    The most important things in life are worth fighting for.

<--------- RAAAAAR!!!

Forum Member
    Or if you have a little extra cash, Both HK models (the USP 45 and the HK45) have a higher capacity and perform extremely well. Duty holster selection will be the most limited, but they are out there.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Forum Member
    you can get law enforcement pricing on HK also. If you go to thier website they list the stores that offer it. you may have to have it shipped but the price savings make it worth it.

Forum Member

1911 has been the best for the past 100 years. I like Kimbers and Para Ords. Glock 21's are worth looking at too.

Infidel Strong
    I would choose a Glock 21 SF if it were for me!
    Common sense its not a common virtue...

"The AR-15, Legos for grown ups."-Jwise

"OCD with firearms can ensure your continued use of oxygen. "- Blackdog F4i

1042 Trooper is my hero!!!

YOU BOYS LIKE MEXEEECO?
    Why does everybody ask for "the best"? It's so obviously a users choice. Take some suggestions on this page, find a place that will rent out guns for the range or go with a few buddies that have a good selection. You are gonna find that some guns while "look cool" may not be the best choice for you. The size of your hand determines how a gun feels (if you got changeable sizers the point is moot). You got to try them out and form your own opinion.
    One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

locked and loaded
    in a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I have both a 1911 (Kimber) and a Glock 21SF, both shoot remarkably well and no issues with either one.
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
    Paul "Bear" Bryant

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jruner View Post
    I would like to replace my Taurus .45 24/7. The trigger pull is forever and a day. Recommendations? Looking for a reliable high capacity .45 pistol.

Thanks,
    John Runer
    ACO/Custer County Reserve Deputy
    Get a SigSauer P220, if you can afford it.

Forum Member

Sig 220...

Forum Member

Another vote for the Glock 21SF.
    "Do or Do Not.............There is no try."
    -Jedi Master Yoda

Forum Member
    I own and XD .45 Tactical and after 2000+ rounds put through it I have yet to experience any problems.
    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cclawdog View Post
    Why does everybody ask for "the best"? It's so obviously a users choice.
    +1

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Look through any of these firearms threads and it comes back to the same things: Glock-o-philes, 1911 nuts and just about everything else.

Get what YOU can shoot and what's comfortable. Glocks are like a brick in my hand, so I don't want one (work forces me to have one, anyway), but there are those that have drowned in Glock Kool Aid and that's all they want and will recommend.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member
    I expect the OP wants a STARTING point, not a purchase decision. He is asking us what we shoot, or what we'd shoot if we had the choice! He is collecting the data, storing it, and is now going to do his research (online, personal interviewing, gun store shopping, and hopefully range testing) based in large part on the makes and models that have been offered up.

Everyone fully EXPECTS him to do his OWN homework, but why send him out without any pointers, guides, or at least suggestions!? When asked by the salesman if he has considered the Ruger SR9, he will think to himself... "no one recommended that make/model to me when I asked on O.com", and will be less encouraged to adopt the salesman's pitch.

On the other hand, he will see a 1911 next to a Glock 21, and will ask to see each, knowing both have come highly recommended. He will handle each, ask the shopkeep what he thinks of each, and will evaluate them both on equal footing, knowing they have both been heralded as excellent platforms from those of us who carry guns daily and go into harm's way.

jruner- I hope you do not merely add up the votes and go out and buy sight unseen the pistol that garnered the highest tally. I know you won't.

Oh, and to those who said Sig 220, that is not a high-cap .45acp. Same goes for those who recommended 1911s, other than Para Ords and other hybrids.
    J. Wise

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Forum Member
    When one asks, "Best .45 auto currently for duty weapon?" That statement, to me, asks for the #1 pistol on the market.

You and I obviously interpret what he wrote differently.

I do not surmise that someone asking for any product recommendations on the internet will do ANYTHING other than buy 1) what's most recommended, 2) what feels good to them/looks badazz behind the glass or 3) what they ultimately can afford to slap on the barrelhead.

You can tell by the variety of responses given here (as you pointed out, a couple don't even match what he's looking for) that there's a huge disparity in what's been "suggested." Suggested by a bunch of random people on the internet who may or may not know what they're talking about. Honestly, he can get just as much of the same info/recommendations by going to the local gun range. The OP will still get suggestions from random people who may or may not know what they're talking about, it'll just be in person.

Had the OP asked about what makes/models of hi-cap .45's are available with their pros & cons for comparison, that would be much different than his original question.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Caution: Unvetted member.
    For me, an eight-round mag instead of a seven IS high-cap.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member

The newer 220s don't seem to be holding up as well as they used to. However that can be said for many of Sigs products the last few year as discussed on sigforum.com. My dept issues the 229 .40 and they've been breaking at a pretty high level latley. We had a range day last week and three broke throughout the day.

Forum Member
    I guess I read his post, and didn't really spend too much time on the thread title. He said

Quote Originally Posted by jruner
    And he stated he was a reserve deputy, so I assume this will be for duty.

And why shouldn't a deputy who is looking for a new duty pistol come to a group of law enforcement professionals and ask for recommendations?

Let's look at the recommendations he got, and see if he got some good info.

Para Ordnance
    Glock 21
    Glock 21SF
    Springfield XD 45 Tactical
    Springfield XD 45
    S&W M&P45
    HK 45
    HK USP45
    Kimber SIS
    1911 (in general)
    Sig 220

I think he got some really great recommendations, even if they weren't all within his exact parameters.
    J. Wise

Forum Member

Thank you for all the replies. My primary job is City Animal Control but I keep encountering nuts with knives and or guns. My volunteer position which I purchase my own duty weapon for is Reserve Deputy/ I have CCW for Animal Control. The pistol has to be .45 caliber for County. I wanted and got great "opinions" as to what are widely used duty weapons and better yet "trusted" pistols. I want that thing to fire when it counts regardless of the weather as I am on my own 95 percent of the time. If I have to fire it better fire and be accurate. I can get backup but work in a rural town where that can be over an hour if all the Deputies are out on a major call/accident.

John Runer
    ACO/Reserve Deputy

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last