Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Forum Member

Have you ever broken a bone?

And how did you do it?
    Me, when i was 3/4 i was coughing in my sleep and rolled out of bed and broke my collar bone. Weird thing was that i was learning to write when ever it happened and i was right handed but when i broke my collar bone i switched to left handed so now im ambidextrous.
    The 2nd time i broke a bone was in 7th grade when i went to soccer practice, me and my friend roller bladed there. I ended up kicking a ball with them on, fell back and braced myself and snapped my arm. Weird thing about that is that it made me miss my 2nd day of school ever.

So what's your story if you got one?

jakflak
    Geez...what bone haven't I broken?

My skull, ribs, hand, wrist, nose...I stopped keeping track of broken fingers years ago.

I have a medical condition known as Being An Idiot.

Police Officer
    Finger: Playing Hockey
    Same Finger: Playing Football
    Nose (not really a bone): fight (I still won)

Bigfoot Country
    Only once, I busted my collar bone when I center punched a large doe on my motorcycle.

From Dispatch to Deputy
    Forearm.

Broke it training in karate. I've also cracked a hand bone, chipped a shin bone, and dislocated fingers.

Good times!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

VIP Member - Diamond
    I broke my foot running to catch a connecting flight...the hook on my garment bag caught the cuff of my boot and I took a header.

I broke and dislocated a finger trying to stop a refrigerator box full of kids from tipping over.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Forum Member
    Broke a finger playing baseball when I was 16....dove back to 3rd base and jammed it. I was safe, and still made the winning run. It was my throwing hand, so I missed the rest of the season. Broke my elbow on bike patrol when taking a header on asphalt. I put my arm out to break my fall.....lost a lot of skin and the elbow snapped. Then in a fight with a robbery/ADW suspect I broke the hell out of my hand. Still caught the guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Have gun......will travel
    Oh, wait...........what?

You mean one of MY bones, not someone elses

Uhhhhhhhh............not that could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt!

Do teeth count?...............................Nikk!
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

ayastigi
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post

Do teeth count?...............................Nikk!
    What? I didn't break your teeth!
    "Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."

Forum Member
    In May 2008, I broke my ankle (actually, the ankle end of my fibula) by taking what I call 'the mother of all bad steps'.

Our back yard is considerably elevated compared to the driveway, and there's a sidewalk about 3" higher than the driveway that runs alongside the edge of the driveway. When walking on the sidewalk, the backyard is about even with my shoulders (and a set of steps leading up from sidewalk to yard). My oldest two sons were in the backyard playing catch and it was time to head to an actual practice for middle son. So, as I'm walking along the sidewalk, I look up at them and tell them to get in the car, and at that very moment ... my foot went down the side of the sidewalk so that the inside part was pointing skyward, my leg was still in normal standing position, and down I went.

I was actually kind of glad that it was broken, because the other possible diagnosis (pre x-ray) was a grade III sprain, and fractures are actually easier to heal from than sprains.

I also got my nose broken playing basketball when I was in high school. I was a very scrappy little guard (like I said on another thread, I'm short)--maybe a little too scrappy that day. Fortunately that was a pretty straight fracture that healed very well--there's a slight bump, and few people realize that it was the result of a fracture.

Forum Member

Left forearm in 2nd grade. Running relay race backward, and I tripped, falling backward, put my arm back for support and broke it, just about in the middle of the forearm bone, whatever it is called. I cried.
    Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
    -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

the quiet one
    Broke my right wrist when I fell out of a tree.
    Right pinky chasing someone and grabbing their shirt
    Dislocated left pinky falling off a bike
    Chipped the bone/acute sprain in my left foot, fell while running.
    Cracked my tail bone when I fell down about 20 concrete steps
    Nose when I collided with someone's knee while paying softball
    a couple toes

Quote Originally Posted by jakflak View Post

I have a medical condition known as Being An Idiot.
    I like to call it being a klutz
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

One man Wolfpack
    I've lost count.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

ayastigi
    Most happened in my accident (Nikk vs. 4 door sedan)...
    4 years ago.... fractured Skull, cheekbone, sternum, several lower ribs (which swung inward and punctured a few organs), displaced complete/compound fractures left arm, 2 fingers on left hand, hairline fracture left hip.... I think that was it in the bone department!

- In about 7th grade I broke one index finger and badly sprained the other index finger playing softball. (Only I could damage one finger on each hand in the same game!) This was right before I took typing classes in school, I still hold my left index finger straight up when I type!

- About age 15, kicked by horse, cracked 2 ribs

- Age 19, broken jaw from attack by a home intruder (But in the end, I won that match!)

- Age 19, My brother ran over my foot with my Trans Am, bones were displaced and healed wrong so I had to have the bones custom broken by the doctor and re-set properly

- Work related, cracked rib (running after someone and some idiot suddenly opened a car door into my path!), fractured cheekbone from a 16 year old who went ballistic and kicked me in the face (Not a little 16 year old, he was a HUGE, mutant kind of a guy, football player, square head no neck... lol)

I'm sure there's a few more that I can't recall...
    "Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."

Have gun......will travel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
    What? I didn't break your teeth!
    LOL no, my heart but alas that is not a bone
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

*~*Mi Vida Loca*~*

Wow, I'm slightly jealous...everyone has "cool" stories as to what happened when they broke their bone(s). Mine just happen out of pure coincidence or clumsiness. Then again, so do most of my other injuries.
    - Broken left pinkie finger ( I was standing on the sidelines of a basketball game)
    - Broken left thumb ( Five different places; while playing pool)
    - Broken left big toe (cleaning a microwave..)
    Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Look Ma No Hands!
    Quote Originally Posted by KSU2010 View Post
    Wow, I'm slightly jealous...everyone has "cool" stories as to what happened when they broke their bone(s). Mine just happen out of pure coincidence or clumsiness. Then again, so do most of my other injuries.
    - Broken left pinkie finger ( I was standing on the sidelines of a basketball game)
    Please explain.
    It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Banned

three separate incidents:

thumb (high school football --- pre-game warm up)
    pinkie finger (high school football --- practice)
    nose (water skiing/tubing)

*~*Mi Vida Loca*~*

Quote Originally Posted by safetyallday View Post
    Please explain.
    Well, I decided to cook-first off that was a BIG mistake...because I caught the food in the microwave on fire. So, I finished my other plans for the day--came back around midnight and decided to clean up the mess/smoke out of the microwave. I'm short. My microwave is on top of my refrigerator. I decided to stand on the edge of chair--stupid decision, I fall off and my foot goes straight under the refrigerator and slams forcefully into the bottom of it. Of course, me being me, I don't go to the doctor or seek medical attention-- I go buy athletic tape and mini-Popsicle sticks and make my own version of a splint. This still isn't as bad as my other injury from cooking.... I got a NOODLE stuck underneath my fingernail for a good 4 months.
    Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

~*MEOW*~
    Broke my ankle after a friend was trying to show me a good 'take down' move and he ended up breaking my ankle Got a 'walking' cast put on it, but no one listened to me when I told them my ankle was swelling inside the cast and I was losing feeling in my foot (this was two days after the cast had been put on) .....so I ended up sawing the cast off with a Swiss Army knife. Then I was put into an aircast....which I wore for maybe three days before taking it off because Id just met a new guy I was infatuated with and didn't like looking like I had a 'robo-foot'.

Then got a hairline fracture in my right knee after trying to lift something that was wayyyyyy too heavy alone.....
    'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

'Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret' - Dr. Laurence Peter

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/cbr600_kitty/c2c0b78af914c568.jpg

Student of Gerbil Voodoo
    Jeez, you guys are making me "feel your pain" with some of these horror stories. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Originally Posted by KSU2010
    Quote Originally Posted by safetyallday View Post
    Please explain.
    I'm kinda curious about the pool thing. Almost sounds like an opponent got mad about something (were you being Fast Eddie Felson?) and whacked your thumb with a cue stick.

I didn't actually fracture anything (missed some good opportunities, though) until I was 43. Busted my jaw in the process of proving that a Pontiac station wagon cannot occupy the same space as a rock wall. I was already pretty sure of that rule, but I was unconscious before the impact.
    That happened in a town where I had done extrication training with their fire dept. about six months before. The fire chief said the seat belt saved me. The oral surgeon who wired me back together said the jaw acted like an energy-absorbing bumper, and that saved my life.
    Whatever. I'm just happy to have that event as a distant memory.

[Insert funny line here]

Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    I've lost count.

M-11
    What

C'monn some details!

Zero bones broken for me
    Futurelaw89

Forum Member

Fingers
    A toe
    Cheek bone- Face to forehead collision in a wrestling match
    Ankle- bike accident (ie being a dumbass)
    Nose- 3rd grade baseball

But the worst/most painful injury was a torn rotator cuff.

Part-time ninja

Broke my left ankle and tore a bunch of ligaments, while fighting a guy transporting cocaine in 2008. He got 18 years in the Federal System. I got eight months off, two surgeries, along with a metal plate and eight screws keeping me together. O ya, I get a lot of hell from the guys, but that's expected...

I just tore a lateral ligament in my right ankle last week during a foot chase. I just have no luck...... Back to the Doctor's Office..
    Last edited by iamacop; 09-16-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Bigfoot Country
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr600_kitty View Post
    Then got a hairline fracture in my right knee after trying to lift something that was wayyyyyy too heavy alone.....
    When your date said to pick him up at his place he didn't mean...aw...nevermind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last