Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Banned

Tinker AFB - Civilian Police

Quick questions, since I've just received an unexpected job offer from the base police.

What is the area like?

Do the AF civ police get on well with the locals?

How is the cost of living out there? Can you make it on 20k?

Any information will be helpful as Ive been given a deadline to start!!!!!

my pride and joy
    I used to live in OKC I can tell you that it would be hard to make it on 20k per year if its only you it would be doable but you may need to pick up a second job. Tinker itself is aweful but OKC is a beautiful place to live.

Banned

why is it awful? Can you be more specific?

Forum Member

I used to go visit friends on Tinker all of the time....I do not really think Tinker is that bad of a place but rather where Tinker is at is a bad place. Midwest City/Del City are not that great of places.

$20k/year could get you an apartment in the Midwest/Del City area but you may need a second job somewhere.

The base police only make $20k a year? Sounds kind of not worth it to me.

Forum Member

last I heard, Tinker uses Federal "Gate Guards" which require very little training other than basic CLEET classes that can be taken at a Vo-Tech, that's why the low-pay.

$20k a year in OKC? Agreed.......Be prepared to get a 2nd job.

Forum Member
    Just north of the big rock and Just south of a hard place
    Tinker is not bad, I take it you are Dept AF police and not the contractors at the gate. OK county is a good agency, Midwest City is OK, Del City not so much. You will have to drive a ways to be able to live on $20K

my pride and joy
    Yeah sorry Tinker itself is fine the area surrounding Tinker is a cesspool. Don't get me wrong it's nice for being a cesspool, and its livable if you have some high powered weapons and a big dog.

Rookie
    That starting pay is alot lower than what they used to make. The job announcement lists the pay range of $17k-$39k. It's AF-09-107-246686-MS on the usajobs.gov. The Civillian Security man the gates and check IDs and Passes. They also work at the visitor center filling out the passes. Otherwise, internal base LE and Security is handled by Air Force, Navy, and Marines.

The gates are not positioned where most of the troublemakers make trouble.

One of the civillian security members identified a felon upon gaining entry to the base, but that was a couple of years ago.

Oh, I forgot to add, if a civillian gives you trouble, you call the police department OKC/Midwest City to take care of them. If it's a military member, the security forces get to deal with them.
    Last edited by flhtbill; 09-02-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added the last paragraph.

Forum Member

One very important thing to look at is the requirements.... Last I knew, and it's been a couple of years DOD Police Officers attend FLETC.

This is off usajobs for the above position

Must pass initial formal law enforcement training school as determined by functional, certificate from a Federally recognized Law Enforcement Academy.
    "You, you, and you ... panic. The rest of you, come with me."

- Unknown US Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt (first)
    - Sergeant Major Jonas Blane (The Unit)

Forum Member

I'm about to be hired by Tinker PD. This is what I know.

Air Force Materials Command has changed policy about base security. They are removing all contracted police work and replacing them with Federal Police Officers. Since they are now basically building a police department from scratch they are hiring anyone that passes the requirements. PT Test, Medical Exam and Air Force M4 rifle qual.

When hired you will go through a week long orientation course on the base and basically start working. You have to by policy work the gates for at least 45 days before your allowed to move from gates to patrol. If your responsible enough that is. If you don't show that your responsible, your basically on the gate till fired (which could be 1 year, your on probation period for 1 year).

Since, they are hiring from scratch their are probably a lot of openings for moving up in the ranks. So you don't have to wait for someone to retire or die. They are hiring i guess 400 officers this year.

From what I understand you can go up 2 GS levels every promotion. First opportunity is your first year in service. But, that's based upon job performance.

I think the Department of Air Force police is actually DOD Police. If I'm wrong let me know!
    Last edited by lordjack; 10-09-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: bad english...

Forum Member
    Just north of the big rock and Just south of a hard place
    I just did my annual training, and the gate guys were contract workers with a private security company. We had one DAF police officer per shift, and the rest were military. The word is that they will replace military with Department of Air Force civilian police officers, so we can deploy more. The Army has already done it and it is working well.

They have a majic number of officers for each base that will be hired so that law enforcement will not suffer if the base assigned cops are deployed.
    The guys I worked with were all prior State and Local officers and all POST certified. I would think that CLEET certification will be a requirement at Tinker.
    Last edited by biggdawgdaddy; 10-09-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: grammer

Banned

I am a DAF Office at Tinker. Your comments for the most part are correct. There are some specific differences.

Pay - you are paid based on your qualifications, dedication, drive, and, in a nutshell, how well you impress the Chief. If you don't do well, 20 may sound about right. If you woo him, then almost 40 may be the order of the day.

Training - your week-long orientation is called NEo which has nothing to do with police work. It is an indoctrination into the air force and the federal system. After that you will be trained to the AF standards, given the specifics of the military way of things, and moved on. All those hired have prior law enforcement epxerience, either civilian or military, so the basics are already in place.

Gates - yes, we work them. There are no contract security guards remaining - everyone working has the word police on their patches and shields. You are responsible for entry control. as the guards were, but are also responsible for all ancillary law enforcement functions such as the detection of DUIs and drugs and the apprehension of same.

Patrol - we get to work patrol. To be a regular patrolman as opposed to an alpha, you do have to QC/ For the more experienced of us, they are looking at a 45-day time period. You rotate assignments - gates for a few days, then patrol if you're lucky.

It is my understanding that with the exception of flightline duties, the SFs will be rotating out for more deployments and such, giving us as federal police officers a greater share of the burden for base law enforcement.

And we work indirectly for the DOD, but the only DOD Police Agency is the Pentagram Police. We are DAF Police, doing the same job as Navy and army police officers.

And we are brand new, so the teething problems abound. It is just about sticking it out and riding the waves.

Hustler
    So do they actually send to some type of LEO training/academy? Don't really agree with learning the military way if you are a civilian. And I don't see how your "chief" can make the call on who gets paid what, that is either set by your HR/OPM standards.

Since your "outfit" is brand new, better get a ccw for off base since we all know you guys still can't carry "off-duty".
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Don't really agree with learning the military way if you are a civilian. And I don't see how your "chief" can make the call on who gets paid what, that is either set by your HR/OPM standards.
    It's the military. It ain't a democracy.

I worked at Tinker for about 14 years (including the time someone robbed the on-base credit union and got away with the cash... from a "closed" base).

I don't know many (if any) people who actually live in the area of the base. Most live in Dell City, MW City, Moore, or OKC. Some live farther away (Norman and I knew someone who commuted from Guthry but that was unique).

Cost of Living in OK depends on where you currently live. Anywhere in OK is less expensive that living in the DFW area (from housing to basic needs). In any case $20k a year would be a very small apt and the promise of fast(ish) advancement or a 2nd job.

Banned

As for academy, we are rumored to be all rotating through the VA academy in Little Rock. as an addendum to that, it is also rumored that only those with the lowest amount of LE experience are going, first at least.

As for the pay scale, I guess thats what the NSPS allows.

And we're all getting OK ccws. My out of state permit is still good, and will get an OK one as soon as I transfer my DL (next week's agenda)

Hustler
    Good deal, but don't go flashing your "Air Force" badge around since you have no LE powers off of that base.

VA Academy is not the way to go for you guys since the VA Academy is for VA police and how the VA operates. Why send an Air Force Cop there to get trained is beyond me! I know they send the 0085 security guards there, but that is just for them, not police officers. Oh well, thats the govt.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Banned

Yeah, its odd. You would think there would be a combined academy for all DOD agencies, but no dice. Each branch wants its own leash over its civy police.

As far as carrying, we've spoken with the state Bureau of Investigations, and they, like California, recognize us as LE and thus permit us to carry on our shields, as the saying goes. doesnt grant us 218 privilges, but within the state we can. Of course, we recommend our members get a ccw anyway, just in case a local is not as friendly as would be hoped.

Hustler
    The state may let you carry on your badge, but the Air Force won't let you. Very easy to get that confused and lose a job over. Get the CCW and don't badge anyone. Be safe.

Banned

I agree. alot of things haven't been worked out yet. we havent been issued our creds yet, although we are working. But I guess that happens with a new dept. (wouldnt know, never worked for an agency that was being built from the ground up)

Hustler
    Are you the former DEcop?

Banned

the who?

Hustler
    The orginal OP. He went to Tinker..you are at Tinker...just piecing the puzzle together..not very hard.

Series 0083
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Are you the former DEcop?
    You're busted MATT!!!!

Banned

There are sixty of us....to go up to a hundred. The farthest officer to come here is from Hawaii.

My name isn't matt, either.

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeWhite View Post
    There are sixty of us....to go up to a hundred. The farthest officer to come here is from Hawaii.

My name isn't matt, either.
    So with that in mind, you are From De, Pa or DC?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last