Forum Member

Texas Penal Code Study Guide

Hello everyone, I am working hard trying to get through my police academy right now. I have a test coming up this monday on Penal codes, and needless to say I am very nervous-we are going through these rather quickly. I wanted to know if there were any study guides out there that were more....to the point -than my King James version I am reading now.

Thank You

Tmg
    Forum Member

What worked for me is reading the back of the book where it just says the offense and the penalty.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Sheepdog
    We were lucky enough to have the instructor break it down and we had two seperate tests with worksheets, practice tests, etc.

My only advice is to go to the back of the book, write down the offenses and the punishment, then, based off how your test is designed, go back and look up the elements of the crime and write them down.

Good luck.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Sheepdog
    One of the good things about a LONG academy... the tests are spread out and they go in depth with the subject matter.... good luck...

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Forum Member

I think it has been covered here but for me I wrote everything I read and read my notes again not a big test taker, but it helped me.

Forum Member
    the test for me was alot of scenarios rather than knowing whats a class B or state jail felony and what not. Like knowing the difference between agg assault and assault.

Forum Member

I just wanted to let everyone know, that thanks to yalls help I passed the test with a 90%!

Thanks

Forum Member

Good Job, Traffic will be another test to look forward to.

Part-time ninja

Try Hustler, it helps...

Forum Member

You already do CCP? I have a link to a decent CCP test if you'd like a link.

I've also been using victoria college practice tests.

If any of you have an iphone check out the penal code app for TX. I bought it before I started the academy and thought I wasted my time, after taking PC the app is going to be a lifesaver!

Sheepdog
    CCP after Penal Code? Kinda backwards....

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by JTShooter View Post
    CCP after Penal Code? Kinda backwards....
    On that note, what is the order of operations generally for academies? I would assume most of them are similar in the order of academics since you have to build up from at least some sort of base.

Forum Member

Yeah, we did ccp followed by penal IIRC...

Forum Member

For anyone that's interested in a good study guide, our academy had us buy the "CLEAR" book. It takes the penal code and organizes it into a small reference type book.

Check it out.

http://www.clearbooks.com

Sheepdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtexan44 View Post
    That's what we said lol. We had force options then penal code and now CCP. After CCP, we have Arrest, search, and seizure after that.
    Damn! At least my academy is doing some kind of order with the classes... the way I see it, CCP leads to PC, which will help lead into A,S,and S, and that helps with Force Options... considering A,S,&S and Force Options deal with Chapter 9 and case law...

Ah well, to each their own...

Forum Member

Actually I looked back and we did pc followed by ccp as well. We did drugs, arrest, search and seizure all in one portion. It sucked. Start firearms Monday.

Forum Member
    Drugs is the toughest IMO.

All cattle, no hat

Here's a couple of links to excellent study guides. The first one has actual test questions that are on TCLEOSE:
    http://www.tletca.org/test.html
    http://www.victoriacollege.edu/practicetestpa4

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Study guides are great, but if you're faced with one of those obscure arrest titles in the PC, I've noticed a very large number of them are A misdemeanors. So, if you're guessing....

I noticed that by going through the whole PC and writing the title and penalty down, like someone said.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

?

Last edited by nsdq96; 01-10-2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Arrest, search, and seizure