Forum Member

Establishing Residency in a County

One of the local sheriff departments has a residency requirement PRIOR to even taking the examination. I can certainly understand the reasoning behind residency after appointment, however what possible reason could a county have to need it BEFORE even taking the exam?

It seems like this policy severly limits the applicant pool.

My question is, how does one go about establishing LEGAL RESIDENCY (without physically moving) in a county in New York State? Is it different for each county?

I don't want to do anything dishonest or illegal obviously.

Thanks all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSP61 View Post
    One of the local sheriff departments has a residency requirement PRIOR to even taking the examination. I can certainly understand the reasoning behind residency after appointment, however what possible reason could a county have to need it BEFORE even taking the exam?

My question is, how does one go about establishing LEGAL RESIDENCY (without physically moving) in a county in New York State? Is it different for each county?

I don't want to do anything dishonest or illegal obviously.

Thanks all.
    Down by me it's 6 months prior to the exam and you have to pay rent or live with someone, change your mailing address and your bills to that address and your driver license. As far as I know there is no legal way of establishing it without physically moving.

I know there are people out there that do all that but still live somewhere else and I'm pretty sure that's illegal/dishonest to do. But if you really did sleep some nights at the residents then that would make it legal.

i.e. you have your legal address you stay there a few nights of the week but then spend the rest of the time at your girlfriends house down by me they never gave any problems about stuff like that.

Hope that helps NYSP61
    Last edited by JoeS10566; 08-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Forum Member
    establishing domicile in a particular location can be any but not limited to: updating new address with the county's board of electors, changing address in DMV to reflect new address on license, utility bills (gas, water, electricity), credit card bills may be accepted but are usually not, any kind of correspondence from a government agency (could be local, state, or federal) with the new address showing, if you are in the educational tract a tuition bill or correspondence from, rent from your landlord is probably the easiest one to obtain

hope that helps

Forum Member
    Here you can go to the county treasurer's office and get a document called a "Certificate of Residency" It kinda clears that whole thing up.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSP61 View Post

I think the reasoning for limiting applicants to residents goes back to the beginnings of the civil service in the U.S., where city and county jobs were regarded as menial jobs, and therefore the politicians looked it as a way to give out jobs to locals. It isn't limited to police, these rules usually applied to all government jobs.

These days, I think we can all agree that LE has progressed from a menial job to a real profession. The pay and benefits have gotten better, officers are more likely to have a college degree, and the body of knowledge, skills and training required of LEO's is much then before.

As far as requiring officers to have residency after hire, a lot of people think it is so officers can respond quickly when off-duty, but I suspect more often it is a way to keep the tax base in the city. Especially in a big city that is losing population to the suburbs, keeping the city workers in the city helps them maintain the middle class.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEAGENT View Post
    As far as requiring officers to have residency after hire, a lot of people think it is so officers can respond quickly when off-duty, but I suspect more often it is a way to keep the tax base in the city. Especially in a big city that is losing population to the suburbs, keeping the city workers in the city helps them maintain the middle class.
    +1 ICE

Also, by giving jobs to people who reside in your jurisdiction it brings down the unemployment in the area.
    Last edited by NYJets44288; 08-26-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Forum Member

There's lots of factors they can look up besides this such as Voter Registration location, credit report, work history, phone records. Best bet, just move if you want it, or pursue another dept.

Forum Member
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
    Its not worth it if you get caught out there!

L-1
    Forum Member
    The easiest way to get caught is when your BI asks to see your auto insurance card/policy. Few people pulling a residence scam change their insurance because

1. They don't think to do it because they really didn't move.

2. If the insurance company discovers you made false statements in obtaining coverage/rates (where you really live/how far you drive to work each day) they may claim you committed fraud and refuse to pay any claims your make.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Forum Member
    Thanks for the responses guys. As stated, I don't want to do anything dishonest or illegal obviously. I just didnt know what the legal definition of residency was, and what was required to obtain it.

Again, my intention was not to do anything illegal, dishonest, unethical or immoral.