Thread: NC Handgun Laws

Forum Member

NC Handgun Laws

If there are any North Carolina officers on here very knowledgeable about nc handgun laws please pm me because I have a question. Thanks in advance.

All Hope Is Gone
    Just ask here.

What CobaltNC said.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Forum Member
    Since no one wants to ask a question here...

I"ve got one.

In NC can off duty officers carry a concealed handgun without a permit? or asked another way; Does being a sworn LEO qualify as having Concealed Carry Permit?

As long as you carry your credentials, yes you can carry off duty without a CCW. But you will still need a purchase permit, unlike with a CCW.

Forum Member
    Yes, it's called H.R. 218

Quote Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post

I"ve got one.

In NC can off duty officers carry a concealed handgun without a permit? or asked another way; Does being a sworn LEO qualify as having Concealed Carry Permit?

Sworn qualified officers can carry a firearm concealed nationwide without a CCW permit.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofdog View Post
    Sworn qualified officers can carry a firearm concealed nationwide without a CCW permit.
    with some exceptions of course!

Nothing in life is absolute.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

10-61
    It used to be that officers either had to have a CCW, or something had to be filed with the clerk's office by the agency saying that officers were authorized to carry, and only then could you carry on credentials. Not sure if that is still the same.

Interestingly, Training & Standards requires officers/deputies to qualify annually with each particular weapon they want to carry off duty using the same bullet weight they will carry. It used to require you actually qualify with your intended carry ammo. That got expensive if you qualified with more than one pistol.

CCW permit holders, on the other hand, qualify once with whatever they want and can carry any pistol of any caliber for five years. When they renew, no re-qualificaiton is required.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post

I"ve got one.

I don't post often but thought I'd reply to this.

Yes, as sworn law enforcement officers we are allowed to carry concealed off duty without a permit under N.C.G.S 14-269(b)4 and 5.

I do not believe #5 applies to Company Police since they are not considered law enforcement when off duty even on the property they are hired to protect. I know HR -218 does not apply to Company Police, I spoke with the attorney general's office on that one and they are of the opinion that it does not. I'm not knocking them, just giving you a factual interpretation of the statute.

If you can get ahold of the 2007 NC Firearms Laws publication that is published by the Attorney General's Office you will find pretty much all the answers to whatever questions you may have. It has a lot of great information

§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24.

(3) The deadly weapon is a handgun and the person is a military permittee as defined under G.S. 14‑415.10(2a) who provides to the law enforcement officer proof of deployment as required under G.S. 14‑415.11(a).

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

Quote Originally Posted by apollyon73 View Post
    I don't post often but thought I'd reply to this.

Yes, as sworn law enforcement officers we are allowed to carry concealed off duty without a permit under N.C.G.S 14-269(b)4 and 5.

I do not believe #5 applies to Company Police since they are not considered law enforcement when off duty even on the property they are hired to protect. I know HR -218 does not apply to Company Police, I spoke with the attorney general's office on that one and they are of the opinion that it does not. I'm not knocking them, just giving you a factual interpretation of the statute.

If you can get ahold of the 2007 NC Firearms Laws publication that is published by the Attorney General's Office you will find pretty much all the answers to whatever questions you may have. It has a lot of great information

§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24.

(3) The deadly weapon is a handgun and the person is a military permittee as defined under G.S. 14‑415.10(2a) who provides to the law enforcement officer proof of deployment as required under G.S. 14‑415.11(a).

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

MAY A COMPANY POLICE OFFICER CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON
    OFF THE PREMISES OF HIS EMPLOYER?

Yes
    . The answer to this question is governed by N.C.G.S. § 74E-6 and N.C.G.S. § 14-
    269(b)(4). Both these laws were amended by 2006 SL-259 s. 5. N.C.G.S. § 74E-6 now
    reads: “Company police officer shall have, if duly authorized by the superior officer in
    charge, the authority to carry concealed weapons pursuant to and in conformity with G.S.
    14-269(b)(4) and (5).” Additionally, N.C.G.S. § 14-269(b)(4) was amended to read,
    “Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency
    charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their

official duties.”

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/4ea81e34...udy-Guide.aspx

Not many Officers are familiar with the policy governing Company Police so I post this link for those interested. Even when off duty a CPO is still a sworn Officer of the law, just as any other LEO of a municipal capacity out of their jurisdiction is.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLETfun View Post
    MAY A COMPANY POLICE OFFICER CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON
    OFF THE PREMISES OF HIS EMPLOYER?

Yes
    . The answer to this question is governed by N.C.G.S. § 74E-6 and N.C.G.S. § 14-
    269(b)(4). Both these laws were amended by 2006 SL-259 s. 5. N.C.G.S. § 74E-6 now
    reads: “Company police officer shall have, if duly authorized by the superior officer in
    charge, the authority to carry concealed weapons pursuant to and in conformity with G.S.
    14-269(b)(4) and (5).” Additionally, N.C.G.S. § 14-269(b)(4) was amended to read,
    “Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency
    charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their

official duties.”

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/4ea81e34...udy-Guide.aspx

Not many Officers are familiar with the policy governing Company Police so I post this link for those interested. Even when off duty a CPO is still a sworn Officer of the law, just as any other LEO of a municipal capacity out of their jurisdiction is.
    BLETfun thanks for clarifying that for me:-). At the CP agency I used to work for we were not allowed to carry concealed off duty because we weren't authorized to by the head of the department. I didn't realize they had an option to do so. Learn something new everyday! Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by apollyon73 View Post
    BLETfun thanks for clarifying that for me:-). At the CP agency I used to work for we were not allowed to carry concealed off duty because we weren't authorized to by the head of the department. I didn't realize they had an option to do so. Learn something new everyday! Stay safe!
    10-4 you do the same brother.