Page 1 of 22 123411 ... Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: NYS University Police Exam

Forum Member

NYS University Police Exam

The next exam for the New York State University Police is scheduled for November 14,2009.

Minimum requirements include 60 credit hours or 30 hours and 2-years of active duty military.
    Once hired by SUNY, candidates are scheduled to attend a state certified police training academy followed by a field training program at the respective campus they will be assigned to.

The New York State University Police, is a full service 24/7 POLICE AGENCY. In addition to regular police service, the University Police provide a range of police services at the numerous special events hosted at the Universities. You may go to any SUNY police station for more information. Applications will be accepted starting August 31, 2009.

**Look into this great career opportunity**

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbol6683 View Post
    The next exam for the New York State University Police is scheduled for November 14,2009.

Minimum requirements include 60 credit hours or 30 hours and 2-years of active duty military.
    Once hired by SUNY, candidates are scheduled to attend a state certified police training academy followed by a field training program at the respective campus they will be assigned to.

The New York State University Police, is a full service 24/7 POLICE AGENCY. In addition to regular police service, the University Police provide a range of police services at the numerous special events hosted at the Universities. You may go to any SUNY police station for more information. Applications will be accepted starting August 31, 2009.

Do they still have horrible retirement? If it has improved, I might take this exam.

Forum Member

I would like to sign up for the exam does anyone know the link or where to go to sign up? Thanks

Forum Member

Forum Member

Thanks

Forum Member
    University Police Officer 1 & (Spanish Language)

Is this the right exam? I want to make sure thats not spanish speaking only. I followed that link(posted above) and it says the exam is schedueled for November 14th, and the filing it between Aug 28th and Oct 13th
    NYPD Exam # 6093-List # 15xx
    NYS Trooper exam passed 90% List # 14xx
    Westchester County Police Exam # 60-003 List# 2xx

Forum Member

The Announcement states University Police Officer 1 & (Spanish Language)

-There will be both

**There are also both facebook and Myspace pages created to help the recruiting

Here is the facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Ne....1582418158..1

If it doesn't work just search New York State University Police on either site. There is helpful info on each.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot914 View Post
    University Police Officer 1 & (Spanish Language)

Is this the right exam? I want to make sure thats not spanish speaking only. I followed that link(posted above) and it says the exam is schedueled for November 14th, and the filing it between Aug 28th and Oct 13th
    914 that's it, in a few days you will be able to sign up and there will be 2 exams posted one in english and one is spanish

Forum Member

I also noticed there's an Environmental Conservation Officer exam scheduled on the Civil Service link someone provided. I think they raised the prices to take these exams, the Conservation Officer exam fee is $35 dollars so I'm assuming the University Police exam is the same price. I think they used to be less then that.

Forum Member

the retirement has not improved as they still do not have contract so its still 30/55. It might get worse, I believe the talk is it will be 33/62 thanks to patterson.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS10566 View Post
    914 that's it, in a few days you will be able to sign up and there will be 2 exams posted one in english and one is spanish
    Thanks guys.
    NYPD Exam # 6093-List # 15xx
    NYS Trooper exam passed 90% List # 14xx
    Westchester County Police Exam # 60-003 List# 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natsirt01 View Post
    the retirement has not improved as they still do not have contract so its still 30/55. It might get worse, I believe the talk is it will be 33/62 thanks to patterson.

it wont go to 33/62 , but jobs that are 20 and out probably wont be anymore.

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the starting salary/promotion potential is for SUNY Police?

Forum Member

All of the canvass letters they sent me said starting pay was about $39,000. I believe top pay is around 70. You can find the salaries of SUNY PD at the state payroll database. http://www.timesunion.com/data/payroll/

Forum Member

UPO 1 is a grade 14

Job rate is 48,160(5years). if your down state with full location and other soft money its around 55

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/businesssu...005&fullScreen
    Last edited by Natsirt01; 08-24-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Forum Member
    More like security than police.

Forum Member
    Especially on bigger campuses they respond to a lot of common jobs any Police Department would.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight 20/20 View Post
    More like security than police.
    Where do you get your information? The job varies from region to region and campus to campus, but many SUNY cops are doing as much police work if not more than many of their municipal counterparts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bxhousing View Post
    Where do you get your information? The job varies from region to region and campus to campus, but many SUNY cops are doing as much police work if not more than many of their municipal counterparts.
    X2 I had a friend who started out there before he transfer out and said the same thing....

Forum Member

Retirement

Just remember tier 3 and 4 pay 2/3rds gross salary after 30 years versus 1/2 after 20 NYSP&F, and most 20's are 20 and out. If your lucky to get the 1/69th extra service which maxes out at 59%. So after 20 years you can be going to work for half pay, or stay with sunyfor 30 and get out with 2/3rds. I know big cities 20 is enough unless you have rank. All new cops will be going into tier 3 NYSP&F which is minimum age to retire is 50 and you have to have at least 25 years. I never thought tier 4 would be a better choice.

Forum Member

How much OT does the average SUNY Cop get? I know it depends on where you are, but an average idea would be a good start?

Forum Member
    You kind of answered your own question... really depends on where you are. Each University PD's budget comes from the individual school. The result is, some of the SUNY PD's are very well funded with new cars, equipment, lots of training, and abundant OT. The other side of the coin is that some of them are not. Even with minimal OT you'll still have trouble making less than $48K your first year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunycop222 View Post
    Just remember tier 3 and 4 pay 2/3rds gross salary after 30 years versus 1/2 after 20 NYSP&F, and most 20's are 20 and out. If your lucky to get the 1/69th extra service which maxes out at 59%. So after 20 years you can be going to work for half pay, or stay with sunyfor 30 and get out with 2/3rds. I know big cities 20 is enough unless you have rank. All new cops will be going into tier 3 NYSP&F which is minimum age to retire is 50 and you have to have at least 25 years. I never thought tier 4 would be a better choice.
    actually tier 4 is 60% at 30 years so 30/55 and 25/50 are both 2% a year for the first 25 years. The difference is being able to leave at 25/50 with no penalty instead of of needing 30/55 for no penalty. Also with 25/50 how much percent will they get for years past 25? still 2% a year? for some people 25/50 may still be an improvement depending on thier age/ time on the job. Also NYP&F has the disability for otj injury which could be big if you really get hurt. You guys who are working I am sure get this and people who are looking for a police job should think about it. Anything can happen
    Last edited by ftdtetr; 08-30-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: content

Forum Member

1- pay first year $48K before ot ( probably little ot your first year due to academy)
    2- depending on location/bosses work conditions vary (like any other police job or regular job)
    3- full state benefits (medical,dental, pension etc)
    4- a felony,misdemeanor,violation, domestic, car accident, burglary, v.o.p. etc are still the same criminal or non criminal event no matter where it happens depending on WHERE you work for SUNY will affect what you have to deal with just like some precincts or sectors are less active than others

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunycop222 View Post
    All new cops will be going into tier 3 NYSP&F which is minimum age to retire is 50 and you have to have at least 25 years. I never thought tier 4 would be a better choice.
    I was under the impression that this new plan was only under consideration and was not being implemented yet...when will/did it become official and will/does it apply to all new police officers in NY state or just in the SUNY police system?

Page 1 of 22 123411 ... Last