Forum Member

Problem in Law Enforcement today?

Ive been stuck on this question for a while now. In two of my oral board ive been asked what is a problem in law enforcement today, and what could you do to fix it?

I have no prior law enforcement experience so its harder for me to answer then it would with someone that has 5 years experience and looking for another place of employment.

Could someone help me out and get me on the right track how to answer the question?

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    The problems in Law Enforcement are the same as they have been for hundreds of years. No one has ever overcome all of them. I refer to personal integrity, corruption, conduct unbecoming, abuse of alcohol, suicide and every other societal issue that confronts human kind. All one can do is make certain to set an example of honesty, integrity and humbleness and hope that others will follow.

You do not have to be an experienced officer to know what issues are affecting the profession.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

NOT banned
    Problem is the restrictions put on officers by admin, the left leaning society and politicians.

Things got done in the early and midde part of the last century for a reason! Bad guys were chased and when caught, went to the hospital first then jail, if warranted. If you were sentenced to death, as crazy as it sounds...you were put to death! "Disrespect"/threats/etc were handled on a street level and usually a lesson was learned and rarely repeated by the offender. Anyone remember "slap jacks"...I was too young, but I remember my dads

The touchy feely, leftist, "cant we all just get along", "we are teaching ebonics in the schools now", "hurricanes need african american names", death row "lifers", "sanctuary cities", "anchor baby", "spread the wealth" society of today has killed any chance of the US of ever having a "Greatest Generation" ever again and thus...the beginning phases of the downfall of our great Nation.

Ever see the movie "Idiocracy"? Kind of lame movie, but representative of our society in a couple hundred years.

ok, my Sunday rant is over...torrential rain in the midwest

I'll Be Back !
    Get rid of Command Staffs and let the Sgts run the Dept. Oh and all that stuff that crass cop said is right as well.
    Honestly, no good answer, its a loaded question to see what you are going to say.
    "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Forum Member

That's easy.

Problem: Retention of experienced offficers past the time when they're eligble to retire.

Solution: DROP plan.

Aged like a fine wine
    Quote Originally Posted by On The View Post
    That's easy.

Problem: Retention of experienced offficers past the time when they're eligble to retire.

Solution: DROP plan.

I LOVE the DROP...$$$$$$$$$$$$

10 months left!!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

POlice Offasa
    Crass cop made some good points. I would add our ligitigious society and how command staff bends over backwards to appease these people. Another is race....there are some that want to shame you and make you feel bad for just doing your job...nobody in LE wants to be labeled as racist, now thugs black and white exploit that.
    "To punish and enslave"

Forum Member
    Simple.

Problem: Good officers grow in the ranks and become supervisors. As they get further up the chain, they forget what it's like to work on the street and be a slave to the radio. Instead, they are more worried about what they have to do to reach that next step and/or how to make sure the state/county/city government loves them.

Resolution: I have no idea.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusindc View Post
    Simple.

Problem: Good officers grow in the ranks and become supervisors. As they get further up the chain, they forget what it's like to work on the street and be a slave to the radio. Instead, they are more worried about what they have to do to reach that next step and/or how to make sure the state/county/city government loves them.

Resolution: Have all Lieutenants, Majors, and higher work a beat one weekend a month. I wouldn't recommend actually saying that in an interview though. The Major sitting on my interview panel would probably not have agreed.

Forum Member

Lawyers, courts and society have thrown so many orders, policies, laws and restrictions on us that we cant effectively police the streets anymore.

It has become more cheaper for a department to settle out of court, even knowing full well that the officer was not guilty and correct because fighting the case in court and winning will be to expensive.

Sad but true.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damode1985 View Post
    Lawyers, courts and society have thrown so many orders, policies, laws and restrictions on us that we cant effectively police the streets anymore.

It has become more cheaper for a department to settle out of court, even knowing full well that the officer was not guilty and correct because fighting the case in court and winning will be to expensive.

Sad but true.
    Shakespeare was right. "First kill all the lawyers". Society would benefit emmensely.

A decent short answer may include something to the effect of: "Doing more with dwindling resources". States & localities are all being told to cut expenses including in some cases, personnel. Not sure but I don't think the bad guys are planning on doing the same.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcusindc View Post
    Simple.

We had a supervisor that laughed at a comment made by a sgt that showed support for the line officer.

The "useless excuse for a supervisor" said, "hey, don't stand up for the officers. They will throw you under the bus in a minute". Great Guy

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJr View Post
    Ive been stuck on this question for a while now. In two of my oral board ive been asked what is a problem in law enforcement today, and what could you do to fix it?

I have no prior law enforcement experience so its harder for me to answer then it would with someone that has 5 years experience and looking for another place of employment.

Could someone help me out and get me on the right track how to answer the question?
    That is a good question, but not one I think is best suited for a initial hire interview.

Think about it, what power does a probationary officer have within the department to solve any "problems" facing law enforcement? I know what they are looking for in asking the question, but there are better ways to illicit a response on those topics.

As to your question, perhaps the largest issue I see in LE is: Communication. *Great answer to the board question... hit them back with such a broad response to a generic question*

Communication has been, and will always be a large issue in LE. Its not just communication between dispatch and officers, or officers and the public, but between all levels in the chain of command. Between departments within the agency, between agencies and other levels of government. We tend to play our game too close to our chest, though with good reason sometimes. We really need to work on our flow of information and resources.

Forum Member

The problem is people that can't come up with their own danged oral board answers.

I kid I kid.

NOT banned
    HA! very good!
    The media is also a huge problem....theyre mostly anti po-leece...at least it seems. Granted, a negative po-leece headline sells papers, but, as weve seen on this very site, can be misleading.

The media is also to the left on most things, which takes me back to my original post. Speaking of my original post, I also failed to mention TV/Movies..most feature unrealistic responses to situations...(ever see CSI??)
    The local news around here just LOVES to catch the po-leece doing something wrong...on video and play it ad-naseum....even if there is another version but it's not onthe video.
    People think LEO's are not human: dont make mistakes, have no feelings, etc

OK...rant complete..again. and again..raining in midwest

NOT banned
    OH, btw...cant believe that the local station is about to air "Octomom: the unseen footage"...
    Only in this society can a woman who cannot afford 8 children...let alone 14....get a show on TV!
    George Carlin and Ronald Reagan are turning over in their graves!

Forum Member

I LOVE the DROP...$$$$$$$$$$$$

10 months left!!
    BASTARD!!!!!

NOT banned
    OH and "no pursuit" policies!!!! Agencies are so afraid of getting sued because the dirtbag may slam into someone and cause injury or worse. That is the reason bad guys run today....they know most agencies will disregard!
    Dont catch them, we are inept. Attempt to catch them, we are reckless! catch 22
    Why do we even have po-leece? We arent even allowed to do the job anymore.

Sunday morning rant complete

Forum Member
    I give, whats DROP

Anyway, I dont think this will go over very well here or in the oral board, but my answer would be:

Cops arn't allowed to be cops anymore. Everything is specialized. Street cops are just referral officers. Call the Dicks, Call Traffic, Call SWAT, Child Services, K-9 etc.

When I started in the early 70s we had to do police work, there was no one to call, we did building searches, investigations, conculing, etc.

Another one: Tazers, seems like everyone is getting taser crazy. I believe Tasers have taken the place of police work. I did 20 years without Tasers. The last couple years before I retired we got Pepper Spray. I carried it but never used it.

And before you tell me that tasers & peper spray keeps you from having to use deadly force, I managed 20 years with out shooting anyone also. Heck I even refused to go to the PR-24.

Now cops dont even get out of the cars and talk to people, stop in businesses and inquire about thiere problems & such. Or interact with kid, bs with hookers (you'd be supprised what you can learn from hookers if you treat them like humans.) I dont even think new officers ever heard of O.W. Wilson.

Take off the Michael Jackson glove. And ditch the aviator sunglasses so you can look people in the eye and they can look into your eys. Stop shaving your head and trying to look like swat dudes. Talk to people instead of just taking the report.

I guess its a good thing I'm out of the game now. I dont think I would fit in.

Forum Member

I give, whats DROP
    Deferred Retirement Option Program. Basically, you stay on past 25 years and keep getting paid as usual, but any money you would have collected in your pension goes into your "DROP" account that can be set up like a 401k or 457 or IRA-type investment plan.

There are other variables, like how many years you can be in DROP, how much of the investment profit you're allowed to keep above your contribution amount, maybe a max amount you can lose, whether you're eligible for raises or promotion while in the DROP plan, etc.

It's a good way to retain senior officers and depending on the way the medical plan is financed, it can save your employer money by not having to pay a new guy plus his medical and the retired guy's medical.

A win-win for everyone except the resentful taxpayer who doesn't want cops to make that much money, even though it's saving money. I know guys who will leave after 3 or 4 years with over $300,000.00 in their DROP account alone.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJr View Post

I was asked similar questions on my selection board and I took that question to mean what I, as a member of the general community, perceived as being a problem with law enforcement. My response centred around that a lot of Police were becoming more aloof from the general public because they arrived to a job in a car, took the report, left the job in a car to go to the next job. Foot patrols or community based policing was decreasing and that in turn increased this impression.

Now that I'm doing the job, the work load has been increased as a result of "initiatives" put in place by our respective masters (Superiors and various politicians/ lobby groups) without a proportionate increase in manpower.

Short version is that we are continually doing more work with less resources. As one of I heard one of my colleagues say to a visiting VIP a couple of years ago, "Sir, for the past few years we are being continually asked to do more with less. Can you please provide some insight as to when we will be able to do more with more?".