Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

New tech for hot pursuits?

Watching the news today was sad seeing children killed in a crash that could have been prevented. This pursuit is likely to bring on new calls to stop pursuits, but what message would that send criminals? Green light??? Sure! So it seems we have to figure out something better than the pitt to take someone out.

Any ideas for better tech?
    Last edited by Sgt York; 08-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Thank you to all of you who serve as men and women in law enforcement - we sleep better at night because of your dedication to duty!

Forum Member

Instead of a grader:

How about a harpoon in the form a flexible magnetic patch that adhere's to any metal part of a vehicle, and sends a very high blast of electrical current that lasts just long enough to destroy the vehicle PCM but not long enough to kill or injure the occupants.

This unit could be deployed through the front end of a cruiser and attach to any part of the suspect vehicle, send an electric charge immediately then disconnect from the vehicle and reel back into the cruiser, or remain attached to the vehicle and safely remain to act as a brake until the vehicle stops.
    Thank you to all of you who serve as men and women in law enforcement - we sleep better at night because of your dedication to duty!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    The technology has existed for years that would enable police to disable the engine of the vehicle that was fleeing. Guess what..the ACLU objected. It is the homegrown terrorists that are killing our civilians, not us.
    F the ACLU
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

KJB
    Am I free to go?
    What does ACLU stand for anyway. Isn't it Anti Cops & Lawyers (meaning Prosecutors)Union?

Forum Member
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member
    The technology to stop a car without injuring people exists, and it doesn't have to be installed in the car (unlike On-Star, which I will NEVER EVER own). It sends an electro-magnetic pulse that fries out the car's electronics, stopping it without hurting anyone inside. Problem is, it's expensive, and they have to perfect making it shut down the bad-guy car without taking out other cars around it (including the LEO's cruiser), which would make things more dangerous. Give it a few years and I suspect it will be tested on the streets. Until then, I don't see the situation getting any easier for LEOs.
    If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Forum Member
    the problem with shutting off an engine while the vehicle is moving is that the steering and braking systems are adversely affected. If you can kill the transmission or rear gears while not disabling the engine, that would be the sweet spot. I heard that some vehicle manufacturers will be installing something in their drive trains to enable such a pursuit intervention system. The problem with those is that they can almost always be overcome relatively easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FJDave View Post
    the problem with shutting off an engine while the vehicle is moving is that the steering and braking systems are adversely affected. If you can kill the transmission or rear gears while not disabling the engine, that would be the sweet spot. I heard that some vehicle manufacturers will be installing something in their drive trains to enable such a pursuit intervention system. The problem with those is that they can almost always be overcome relatively easily.
    Yea, if they rig their own car to be used in a crime they could overcome the system. But if it is just a random car theft then more than likely the car's owner wouldn't have tried to bypass it and it would work.

Forum Member
    It would work IF we caught them before they could have a chance to bypass the system. I think it's a GREAT idea, and would work as intended most of the time. As the old saying goes, "If it would prevent just 1 life being lost, it would be worth the cost."

Macho Man

Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    The technology has existed for years that would enable police to disable the engine of the vehicle that was fleeing. Guess what..the ACLU objected. It is the homegrown terrorists that are killing our civilians, not us.
    You mean a shotgun?

Your Daddy
    Start at the Pacific and drive east til you lose teeth and hear banjos
    I saw on Futureweapons, a net that works kinda like spikes. The difference is the net wraps around the front wheels and locks them up. The car stops in its tracks.

I thought of one a few years ago. How about a sky crane with an electro magnet. It drops the magnet on top of the car and takes off. Now you got this car dangling under a helicopter. The pilot can then let him down in a caged area at the station, or my favorite, drop him off in the nearest lake or ocean.
    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Macho Man

It's a popup barrier if you need to stop something on the highway and the ACLU wont be in the way, stick it on a trailer.. put it on the road.. you'll have a surefire stop method.. or go for a couple more feet. Contact me if your department is interested, I've already got a model as to how it'd work. They have them in the ground at various places in Washington D.C. they popup at a moments notice and can stop a truck.
    Last edited by Taylor13; 08-11-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Forum Member
    Looks like that truck was going faster than the posted 5 MPH....

Forum Member

Run from the police =DEADLY FORCE

That would stop them from starting, or end them when they start

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    You mean a shotgun?
    beat me to it

Aged like a fine wine

Lightbulb A little common sense, please!!

Why are some departments still pursuing for traffic offenses, misdemeanors, or even non-violent felonies such as auto theft??

From personal experience,years ago, as an auto theft detective, most people received more time for a DUI than stealing a car....

The circumstances MUST be weighed!!

We only are allowed to pursue for VIOLENT felonies, or crimes involving guns!! It seems to work fine. We still catch the bad guys, and pursuits and their related carnage have all but disappeared.
    Last edited by grumpyirishman; 08-11-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Forum Member
    We only chase for crimes against persons, violent felonies, etc. Property crimes we do not chase for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bully View Post
    I saw on Futureweapons, a net that works kinda like spikes. The difference is the net wraps around the front wheels and locks them up. The car stops in its tracks.

I thought of one a few years ago. How about a sky crane with an electro magnet. It drops the magnet on top of the car and takes off. Now you got this car dangling under a helicopter. The pilot can then let him down in a caged area at the station, or my favorite, drop him off in the nearest lake or ocean.

How many areas do you think there are where the sky is free of overpasses, electrical lines, overhead road signs, and any other obstacle where a helo with a magnet can swoop down and pick up a car.

Forum Member

Pursuits are a no win situation.

See a guy run a stop sign, light him up and he takes off. Now he's going 100mph blowing through red lights to get away. You have already terminated the pursuit because it is not a violent felony. At the next intersection he, still trying to flee from you, T-Bones a minivan and kills the entire family.

You're going to get sued for not persuing him, for not attempting to disable his vehicle, for not being right behind him so that your lights and sirens might warn other motorists of the impending danger.

Your Daddy
    Start at the Pacific and drive east til you lose teeth and hear banjos
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
    How many areas do you think there are where the sky is free of overpasses, electrical lines, overhead road signs, and any other obstacle where a helo with a magnet can swoop down and pick up a car.
    I know....but it sounded cool and provides for a great visual.
    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by Arec View Post
    You're going to get sued for not persuing him, for not attempting to disable his vehicle, for not being right behind him so that your lights and sirens might warn other motorists of the impending danger.
    They might try and sue you.....anyone can sue for pretty much anything these days....

But, they will not be successful at trial....the US Supreme Court ruled years ago that law enforcement has ZERO duty to protect individuals......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    If only someone would invent a device that were capable of taking a small dense projectile, or perhaps even a cluster of projectiles, and hurling it accurately over a short distance. Perhaps some sort of smokeless powder could be utilized as a propellant. That might work.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyirishman View Post
    Why are some departments still pursuing for traffic offenses, misdemeanors, or even non-violent felonies such as auto theft??

l:
    C'mon, now. Your agency never got a homicide suspect from what started as a speeding stop or a couple pounds of narcotics out of a car with an out tail light? I had a rider once and told him "I'm going to stop this guy to let him know he's got a tail light out." Two felony arrests later, I got to tell him that traffic stops are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you're going to get.

Of course you have to weigh the circumstances and terminate when appropriate, but lets not pretend we know what we're going to get when we light any car up and that people who run from a traffic offense stop are always just traffic offenders.

Forum Member

I like the car stopping idea. It seems safer and a little expensive. Maybe it can lock the doors too keeping the criminal from running... But I guess if it did that then there would be no reason to require our officers in this country to be in fit condition. All in all the public will reject every idea. They think the police will use it racially or against minorities just to be excessive.

Tiny but Vicious
    our department i believe has a good pursuit policy...if we get into one a sup jumps on the radio and ask y we are pursuing and takes consideration of weather and traffic conditions and if we got a plate so we know who the person is....generally if its not a life threatening or serious offense we terminate the pursuit...the good thing is that someone else calls that shot because if sometimes deputies will continue to follow for something small just because they cant stand the thought that someone ran from them....

we also sometimes try vehicles that have onstar because they can send a signal to the car to slowly shut it down safely....unfortunately there are so many stupid hoops to go through that by the time you get the ok the vehicle is well out of our jurisdiction....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last