Forum Member

Walter State Basic Law Enforcement Officer Academy

How many of you guys have attended the WSCC academy? Were you self-sponsored, so to speak, or were you sent by your department?

Regardless, what are your thoughts on their program? Would you recommend it?

Forum Member
    I graduated from there in May of this year,Class 72, self sponsored and yes, I would highly recommend it.

Forum Member
    SteveC6R, was it more or less intense than you expected? What did you like the least and most about their program? Are you now employed by a department?

Forum Member
    The first week will be your worst cause they are para-military and it's a adjustment. For me personally I didn't find it near as hard as I thought it would be, don't get me wrong, it had it's hard days but overall not that bad. With that said I went in being able to do everything that was on that list that is expected of you by the time you get there. There were some that were not prepared for the PT part of it and trust me, they PT you.

As for likes, dislikes, it was a excellent academy IMO but keep in mind, it is a 8 week basic academy, they throw a lot at you in that 8 weeks and there is no way you will remember all of it. I personally would have liked to have had the defensive tactics week expanded to 2 weeks because that is where there needs to be a lot of focus for officer safety.

As for employment, that has so far been a elusive creature. Not many departments hiring and when they do there are a lot of people applying. I thought it would be easier but so far it hasn't.

Forum Member
    I see. Do you think having the academy experience behind you will make you more attractive than other candidates in the process perhaps? Also, are you looking just around your area?

Forum Member
    It just all depends on where you are I guess.. I firmly believe if I hadn't put myself through an academy I wouldn't be employed now, but since my application fest after I graduated I've had 3 other places call recently to see if I was still interested. So it's more or less a gamble.. I was employed 5, almost 6 months after graduation..

Good luck to you all..

Forum Member
    J5684, that's my way of thinking as well. I believe your odds of finding a job significantly increase with the academy already behind you. Firstly, you already have that experience and can begin actual work quicker than others who will have to be sent to an academy. Secondly, they don't have to pay you while you're there or pay for the actual academy. I might be completely wrong there.

Did you go to Walter State?

Forum Member
    I think going through the academy is a plus, no doubt about it. But as many have said, it's a gamble still. But some departments only hire POST certified and do not send people to the academy so the only way you'll get a job is to put yourself through or get on with a big city like MNPD.

Forum Member
    I graduated class 59 in April 2006 and didn't get hired till 7 months later. I enjoyed my time at Walter State and would recommend it.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r6less View Post
    I graduated class 59 in April 2006 and didn't get hired till 7 months later. I enjoyed my time at Walter State and would recommend it.
    I assume you started applying once you were completely through the academy?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBeard View Post
    Did you go to Walter State?
    I went to Cleveland State.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBeard View Post
    I assume you started applying once you were completely through the academy?
    yes