Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Police Officer vs Peace Officer

Can some one clarify what the difference is, and where they (Peace Officer's) work at?

Forum Member

IDK Specifics, but positions like Correction's Officer, HHC Police, TBTA Officer, are Peace Officers

Forum Member

Peace officers can't execute warrants, peace officers ie: corrections, nyc sheriff, hhc etc are not in the nys police and firemans pension. Only NYS courts officers can execute warrants, they have the same powers as having police status, only difference is their retirement, I think they do 25/55 while police have 20 and out

Forum Member
    Court Officers/Court Clerks can execute bench warrants (post arraignment)only -not arrest warrants (pre-arraignment) Currently retirement is 30 years/age 55, but w/ the anticipated Tier 5 it will be work 'til age 62 for the new folks
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPD 8-2 View Post
    Peace officers can't execute warrants, peace officers ie: corrections, nyc sheriff, hhc etc are not in the nys police and firemans pension. Only NYS courts officers can execute warrants, they have the same powers as having police status, only difference is their retirement, I think they do 25/55 while police have 20 and out
    Last edited by soon2retire; 08-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAPD 8-2 View Post
    No more 20 and out for us new hires....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by soon2retire View Post
    Court Officers/Court Clerks can execute bench warrants (post arraignment)only -not arrest warrents (pre-arraignment) Currently retirement is 30 years/age 55, but w/ the anticipated Tier 5 it will be work 'til age 62
    I also remember reading somewhere recently that we are authorized to execute arrest warrants out of family court. If you read those warrants, they say, "to any police officer or peace officer".

Forum Member
    Think you're correct, I was thinking about Criminal Court warrants
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    I also remember reading somewhere recently that we are authorized to execute arrest warrants out of family court. If you read those warrants, they say, "to any police officer or peace officer".

10-96

any peace officer can execute family court warrants.

The only differences between peace officer and police officer is the fact that a police officer can stop question and frisk on suspicion, and a peace officer needs probable cause (search incident to lawful arrest). Since alot of peace officers work for public authorities, or patrol private property theres a way around that with tresspassing. Also a police officer can execute any arrest warrant, as stated before peace officers can not. Usually what will happen is if a peace officer grabs a guy with a warrant, we will call NYPD (if it happens in NYC) warrant squad, and they will come down and grab him.

Other than those two things, we are all pretty much identical.

Banned

So let me guess this straight:

Situation from my book of memories down' the shore. On routine patrol, observe a white male urinating on the side of a home. Identify myself, approach, subject flees. brief pursuit, subject is tackled, resists, cuffed, and hauled to the station. Check once processed reveals active warrants x5 out of Philadelphia.

I - held him at the station till my warrant went through, took him to JP Court, and booked him into a DOC facility from which I was told he was extradited to PA after some sort of deal with our AG - - I didnt really follow.

A Peace Officer (NYC or NYS) would.........???

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbotj View Post

The only differences between peace officer and police officer is the fact that a police officer can stop question and frisk on suspicion, and a peace officer needs probable cause (search incident to lawful arrest). Since alot of peace officers work for public authorities, or patrol private property theres a way around that with tresspassing. Also a police officer can execute any arrest warrant, as stated before peace officers can not. Usually what will happen is if a peace officer grabs a guy with a warrant, we will call NYPD (if it happens in NYC) warrant squad, and they will come down and grab him.

FYI Court Officers are the only Peace Officers who can Stop/Frisk in the CPL

DENIED!
    OK..

A peace officer CANNOT execute or "arrest" on warrants alone. They cannot simply run a name due to a stop question and frist and if he pops, collar him for that.

NOW...

If the perp SPITS on the ground(violation), then you run his name and THEN he pops on an existing warrant... the perp now goes to JAIL for the simple violation because he must answer the old warrant.

There has to be a little MORE than just taking someone downtown for just an existing warrant.

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by DEcop989 View Post
    So let me guess this straight:

Situation from my book of memories down' the shore. On routine patrol, observe a white male urinating on the side of a home. Identify myself, approach, subject flees. brief pursuit, subject is tackled, resists, cuffed, and hauled to the station. Check once processed reveals active warrants x5 out of Philadelphia.

I - held him at the station till my warrant went through, took him to JP Court, and booked him into a DOC facility from which I was told he was extradited to PA after some sort of deal with our AG - - I didnt really follow.

A Peace Officer (NYC or NYS) would.........???

Nothing.. the courts automatically search for warrants and arraign him based on his old warrants.

The system is different here big time.

The perp in your case will go to jail for what he did wrong and the courts will simply re-run his name and hold him or dismiss the old warrants he had pending. If its an out of state warrant and needs to be extridited(the warrant will state such), then he is simply held AUTOMATICALLY in central bookings for the outside agency to pick him up.

Very simply and easy for a peace or police officer up here.

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbotj View Post

As GBO stated above... it is very easy for a PEACE OFFICER to lock up a scumbag due to a violation he committed if he has an active warrant.

Trespass, a simple vehicle infration(you CAN arrest on those), or any other "nonsense" violation such as SPITTING or LITTERING can make a PEACE OFFICER send off his or her spidey senses and lock up a perp for an existing warrant.

BTW, how is TBTA treating you? Nice to see you around dude!

Forum Member

and also i need to ad that not all peace officer carry firearms

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
    FYI Court Officers are the only Peace Officers who can Stop/Frisk in the CPL
    Yea.. they can also execute bench warrants as well!

Go figure! I dont know why they do not give them POLICE status if they are are already 2 steps ahead of the rest.

Oh well.. good ol' New York State I guess.

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4NYjets5 View Post
    and also i need to ad that not all peace officer carry firearms

A gun dont make the cop.

Anyway.. up until last year.. not all POLICE OFFICERS carried firearms as well.

Im sure theres probably a few agencies around in the sticks that we do not know of.. but up to the agency.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    Yea.. they can also execute bench warrants as well!

Go figure! I dont know why they do not give them POLICE status if they are are already 2 steps ahead of the rest.

Oh well.. good ol' New York State I guess.
    It all comes down to pension and benefits.....

DENIED!
    yea but it doesnt matter anymore!

Anyway.. DEP POLICE and a whole slew of POLICE DEPARTMENTS have a 25 year pension.

Its only a matter of time before its 35 years for all!

Banned

Hey TNT - side topic entirely - -Im coming up for the SpcOfc test in Nov - care to show me your dept whilst Im visiting?

10-96

yea basically a peace officer can find pretty much ANYTHING as a simple violation to just expand on it. ex. someone walking to the left of a crosswalk (violation).

TBTA is effing AWESOME bro! Check out my recent posts on the 2065 thread.

Retired NYPD
    "FYI Court Officers are the only Peace Officers who can Stop/Frisk in the CPL"

If I remember, they only have that authority on-duty and at the courts and immediate vicinity.
    Most peace officers authority is limited to on duty and on their specific property. (I am sure there are exceptions)

Forum Member

I believe that New York State Court Officers and New York State Correction Officers have armed peace officer status both on duty and off duty.

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by DEcop989 View Post
    Hey TNT - side topic entirely - -Im coming up for the SpcOfc test in Nov - care to show me your dept whilst Im visiting?
    My department is the NYPD and its just a desk with a cell area. Nothing special here!

DENIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sled View Post
    "FYI Court Officers are the only Peace Officers who can Stop/Frisk in the CPL"

If I remember, they only have that authority on-duty and at the courts and immediate vicinity.
    Most peace officers authority is limited to on duty and on their specific property. (I am sure there are exceptions)

True but their overall jurisdiction while working is the entire state of New York.

Their basic GAOE is one thing and their lawful arrest authority is another.

Do not think for a second if a crime happens down the block from a peace officers post which is "not on their property" that they cannot arrest said violator. They can!

Retired NYPD
    gbotj wrote:

"yea basically a peace officer can find pretty much ANYTHING as a simple violation to just expand on it. ex. someone walking to the left of a crosswalk (violation)."

I hope you never actually did something like that; stopping someone for walking left of a cross walk. I have heard of some B.S. summonses, but that is low, I hope it is a joke, that you are using it just as an example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last