Forum Member

TN private gun sale laws

I am considering buying my first handgun. Are there any laws that deal with private gun sales in TN? Could someone post a link or explain any applicable laws? I have searched the internet with no luck. I have found a few listings of gun laws for TN, but nothing that deals with private sales.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZMATT View Post
    I am considering buying my first handgun. Are there any laws that deal with private gun sales in TN? Could someone post a link or explain any applicable laws? I have searched the internet with no luck. I have found a few listings of gun laws for TN, but nothing that deals with private sales.
    Out of curiosity, Why does your gun HAVE to be bought privately(Why not go through a dealer?) I am not against private sales I am just curious why you would do that with your "first" handgun....

Little Red
    I worked at a range, and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The only things I know of are:
    -if it crosses state lines it MUST be transferred through a licensed dealer
    -if it is mailed, it MUST go through a licensed dealer
    -no selling/transferring of firearms to known felons or underage persons
    -to my knowledge it is not required, but I'd highly recommend writing up a simple bill of sale and having both parties sign it. That is just in case anything ever happens you have proof
    Last edited by glock194me; 08-08-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonzoak View Post
    Out of curiosity, Why does your gun HAVE to be bought privately(Why not go through a dealer?) I am not against private sales I am just curious why you would do that with your "first" handgun....
    I do not HAVE to buy privately. A co-worker mentioned he had a gun for sale, and I was just curious about the laws.

Forum Member

you can ship a handgun within state lines to an individual with certain carriers as long as they are notified and it is properly packaged. anything crossing state lines you need to deal with an FFL holding dealer

if its someone you know and trust go for it, as long as its a good deal and within the law

Forum Member

we both live and work in middle TN. there would be no shipping. if we agree on a price, it will be a hand to hand exchange.

Forum Member
    You must be a transplant from some commie blue state to worry about that.
    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.