Forum Member

Driving without a license in PA

Hi, I happened to misplace my actual drivers license a few days ago. I've been using my state issued identification card, which is still valid.

My question is, can I use my state ID card until I can get to the DMV? If I get pulled over, my mom says I'll lose points or even get arrested. I think that the whole driving without a license thing, means driving without actually having passed the test.

Who is correct here? Thanks a lot in advance, and stay safe out there.

Forum Member
    In MD, you would be fine. You may get a ticket for failing to produce a license on demand. If you have a photo ID and I can tell who you are, then I run your information that way. I would imagine PA is similiar...You are still licensed to drive...you just dont have your physical card on you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor1430 View Post
    You are still licensed to drive...you just dont have your physical card on you.
    Exactly. Thanks.

Forum Member
    All kinds of red flags are going to go up if you show me that ID, here you can only have one or the other but not both. With that said do not get ****ed if the stop seems to be taking longer then what you are use to, as I am going to make sure I check everything. Either way I will run you for a driving history and check to see if you are enforce. If it all checks out, you will drive off with a ticket, failure to produce drivers license, (mandatory court), Ticket for whatever reason I pulled you over for, and anything else that I find wrong. Some advice, get your butt to the DMV first thing in the AM and get your DL, avoid the crap and get it fixed.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Omnipotent Stomper
    In PA... Yes, your State issued ID card is fine to prove who you are, and we can check you via BMV to see if your license is valid. No, it does not cause any "red flags"... There would be no ticket, as you lost your license. That is not against the law, and anyone with a modicum of common sense would not write you a ticket for that technicality. If you need a replacement, simply go online to the DMV website and order one, or order it via mail.
    Process:

Step 1: Complete Form DL-80 “Application for Change/Correction/Replacement of Non-Commercial Driver's License.”

Step 2: Make a check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee.

Step 3: Mail application and check or money order to: PennDOT, P.O. Box 68272, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272.

Step 4: If your picture is on file, you will receive a duplicate Non-Commercial Driver’s License with your current picture. If no picture is on file, a camera card will be mailed to the address on file with PennDOT. If you receive a camera card, you must appear at a photo center to obtain a photo Non-Commercial Driver's License.

Step 5: You may go to an On-Line Messenger Service or Driver License Center and apply for a duplicate Non-Commercial Driver’s license by using the DL-80 form. The messenger service can issue the customer an interim license that is valid for 15 days. This will allow you to have a valid product in your possession while PennDOT processes the duplicate request.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

PSP Ret.

While it is very unlikely that you would be cited under the circumstances, it is a violation under Title 75 to fail to carry your actual drivers license while driving. See section 1511 of the PA Vehicle Code.
    When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1stamendment View Post
    Hi, I happened to misplace my actual drivers license a few days ago. I've been using my state issued identification card, which is still valid.

My question is, can I use my state ID card until I can get to the DMV? If I get pulled over, my mom says I'll lose points or even get arrested. I think that the whole driving without a license thing, means driving without actually having passed the test.

Who is correct here? Thanks a lot in advance, and stay safe out there.
    Try this: If you can't locate the license, get a replacment. Sure, it'll probably cost a few bucks. That still beats the &^% out of having to go court and show your License to the Judge or the Clerk, in the event you were cited.

Forum Member

Thanks a lot everyone. I sincerely appreciate it.

Be careful out there.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PABear31 View Post
    While it is very unlikely that you would be cited under the circumstances, it is a violation under Title 75 to fail to carry your actual drivers license while driving. See section 1511 of the PA Vehicle Code.
    And the person cannot be convicted if they produce proof of a valid license within (15) days.

See section 1511 (b)(1), (2).
    Steve

Forum Member
    I agree with the prevailing sentiment on the board.. However, i did recently cite someone for that very offense, but it was sort of a favor, either cite for going 15 over and recieve points, or pay $40 dollars for failure to display license upon demand.. She gladly took the $40 dollar fine and no points. But in most cases, if your cooperative and i can verify that you are who you say you are. You will just be advised of the law and released with a warning after you come back clean on NICIC..

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
    In PA... Yes, your State issued ID card is fine to prove who you are, and we can check you via BMV to see if your license is valid. No, it does not cause any "red flags"... There would be no ticket, as you lost your license. That is not against the law, and anyone with a modicum of common sense would not write you a ticket for that technicality. If you need a replacement, simply go online to the DMV website and order one, or order it via mail.
    Process:

Step 1: Complete Form DL-80 “Application for Change/Correction/Replacement of Non-Commercial Driver's License.”

Step 2: Make a check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee.

Step 3: Mail application and check or money order to: PennDOT, P.O. Box 68272, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272.

Step 4: If your picture is on file, you will receive a duplicate Non-Commercial Driver’s License with your current picture. If no picture is on file, a camera card will be mailed to the address on file with PennDOT. If you receive a camera card, you must appear at a photo center to obtain a photo Non-Commercial Driver's License.

Step 5: You may go to an On-Line Messenger Service or Driver License Center and apply for a duplicate Non-Commercial Driver’s license by using the DL-80 form. The messenger service can issue the customer an interim license that is valid for 15 days. This will allow you to have a valid product in your possession while PennDOT processes the duplicate request.
    In my state it is, and I do have a "modicum of common sense " thank you very much. See if you have a valid drivers license the state will not issue you a state ID card, if you have a state ID card and wish to get a DL, you must surrender your ID. See how that raises the "red flags" by handing me a ID card you have just "told" me something along the way is jacked up. I do understand that DMV makes mistakes in issuing out ID's and DL's and some people have both. I am giving you the ticket to justify me having to sit with you on the side of the road for an extended period of time to get things figured out, and obviously I am giving you the other ticket as PC to back up the other. Now then I fully understand that when you go to court the judge will more than likely toss the charges, however that is for him to decide.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Omnipotent Stomper
    Quote Originally Posted by DACP View Post
    In my state it is, and I do have a "modicum of common sense " thank you very much.
    Good for you. He asked about PA. He got a proper answer from PA.

It's not all about you, you know?
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
    Good for you. He asked about PA. He got a proper answer from PA.

It's not all about you, you know?
    Oh I'm sorry forgive me, I thought this thread was the "all about DACP", heaven forbid that I post something about another state, you know show how things can differ, what might happen if he is on vacation out of state and still has not corrected, those kinds of things, so sorry guess I will go back to my "all about DACP" thread now.