League City/Webster Shooting

*A reminder to all turds....don't play with fire, and do what the officer says*

Police shoot, kill League City robbery suspect

By Chris Paschenko
    The Daily News

Published July 21, 2009
    League City: Two bar robbery suspects caught in Webster LEAGUE CITY — A Webster police officer shot and killed one man, and two others were charged following an armed robbery at a League City bar, authorities said Monday.

Bonds for Luis Armando Hernandez and Manuel Vasquez, both 23 and of Houston, were set at $80,000 each on charges of aggravated robbery with a firearm stemming from a 9:30 p.m. Sunday incident at Easy Street bar, 112 state Highway 3.

The men charged were not carrying identification documents, police said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, who will investigate whether the men are legal U.S. residents, also ordered them held, League City police detective Sgt. John Jordan said.

“Anytime we believe someone is an illegal immigrant, when they get to the county jail, they can do a screening on whether they’re a legal resident or not,” Jordan said.

Police had not revealed the name of a man who died after a Webster officer shot him in the head. He was listed in police reports as “Juan Doe.”

Three men entered the bar through the back door. One stayed behind while two others went to the front of the business, Jordan said.

“They pulled out semi-automatic pistols, and a third came in and demanded everyone put their purses and property on the bar,” Jordan said, noting the 10 to 15 people believed to have been in the bar complied and weren’t injured.

“The third person collected the property,” Jordan said. “They ran out the back door to a gold Nissan Altima and were last seen northbound on Highway 3.”

League City police notified officers in Webster, who spotted a vehicle matching a description of the suspect vehicle on Highway 3, Webster police Lt. Raymond Graham said.

Officers Colin Murphy and Andrew Brooks followed the car until backup officers converged in the area, Graham said. They stopped the car in the 900 block of West NASA Parkway, where two men got out and ran, he said.

Murphy chased a suspect into a nearby parking lot, where, according to police reports, he saw the man had a gun in his hand, Graham said.

Murphy ordered the man to stop and drop the weapon, but the suspect pointed the handgun at him, Graham said.

Murphy fired his service weapon four times at the suspect, hitting him once in the head, Graham said.

The man was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, where he was pronounced dead, Graham said.

The driver — identified by Jordan as Hernandez — surrendered at the scene without incident, Graham said. A passenger — identified by Jordan as Vasquez — is accused of dropping a handgun on the ground and running north on a utility line easement, Graham said.

Vasquez is accused of approaching someone who was talking on a cell phone near Baystone Apartment complex. The person wouldn’t let him make a call, and Vasquez ran eastbound, Graham said.

Vasquez is accused of trying to hide in a pile of grass and high weeds, Graham said. A Dickinson police tracking dog and Houston police helicopter were called to the scene.

As the canine closed in, the helicopter, apparently using a camera that detects body heat, located a “hot spot” in the brush, and the suspect was captured, Graham said.

Both men were captured by Webster police, and the car and evidence were released to League City police, Graham said.

Members of the Harris County District Attorney’s Office and Webster detectives are investigating the shooting death, and as standard procedure, the officer who fired the shot was placed on administrative duty while the investigation continues, Graham said.

"If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Remember...Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Forum Member
    hah.. "juan doe." clever..clever.

Yep, right around the corner from me. I used to work for WPD, good agency, good guys. I don't know Officer Murphy but I know many of the 'veteran' officers. Lt. Graham was a corporal and my Sgt. when I was there.

It's a good shoot, and by good I mean, the officer is going home. Crime has increased in the area, it used to be that people would not want to come to Webster because we had the hard azz approach, but a new Chief, no longer there, and a turn to community oriented policing has sent the wrong message. Hopefully, a new leaf has been turned.

Good Job to WPD.

Glad it worked out. I wonder where Pct 8 was though. That is right in the middle of their stomping ground. Figured they'd be all over that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by 913 View Post
    Glad it worked out. I wonder where Pct 8 was though. That is right in the middle of their stomping ground. Figured they'd be all over that mess.
    You gotta remember, it's not as though they have a large amount of units at any given time and they can pretty much go anywhere in their district they want so they may not have been close when the call dropped. Also, where the robbery occurred is just a half mile from the county line so naturally when the turds went north, they went right into Webster where the units were more than likely right there waiting to see what they could see.

We always had a good relationship with Pct 8 but they only hung around in the city during club nights.

Yeah, you're right about them not hanging out much in Webster. But it seemed they always were tooling up and down Hwy. 3, but maybe a bit further north. Stay safe.

Yeah, they do tool up and down State 3, no doubt. Pretty active for a Constable agency!

You stay safe as well.

Forum Member
    hey JSD73, i've been monitoring webster pd for 16 years and have always been impressed with their team work between officers in this agency, very coordinated. im going to apply with them but i see they prefer you to be licensed or in a basic course. im currently not enrolled or licensed and no prior military background. question is do you recall any officers in wpd that were hired with a border line qualification like i do? i know its possible, just seeing how open minded they might be.

While Webster is not the same as it once was, Chief Keller was the shizznit, best man I've ever worked for hands down, it is still a damn good department! They are busy and are 85 percent business community. Webster PD will send you to the academy (unless they've suddenly changed this) and as far as I know not havin this or military will not hurt you at all. You have to present yourself well, be confident, and honest with them throughout the process. I got hired after being screwed over by another agency and I failed the polygraph the first time...but that was attributed to having to pee for two hours and having involuntary muscle contraction...but the Chief bent the rules and believed in me.

Cheif Smiley, the current Chief was a Captain when I was there and he is a good man, all I can tell you is, put in for them, they have an opening, they pay well, and their rep is still out there as a place to not come into and get in trouble. The plus side is telling the Galveston County turds who come into Webster that they aren't in Galveston County and that they are going to harris county and seeing their eyes open wide......hehehe, that was always fun.

Just have your ducks in a row and go in with confidence. A buddy of mine left my agency, went to Webster, got hired and is one of their rising stars.

Forum Member
    thanks for the insight jsd73, i'll definitley give it all i got.