Forum Member

what can a cop do with a cell phone number?

If I gave a guy my cell phone number -and later found out he's a cop...what can he exactly do with it?

Can he pull up my records? Look at my driver license picture? Know where I live?

I just want to see if cops have a database where they can pull up any or all info based on just a name and a cell phone number.

Thanks.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Why did you give the nice officer your cell phone number?

A lot of information can be obtained through a lot of resources available to law enforcement. Unless you have something to worry about, don't!!!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Flame Resistant
    Quote Originally Posted by pray247 View Post
    If I gave a guy my cell phone number -and later found out he's a cop...what can he exactly do with it?

Can he pull up my records? Look at my driver license picture? Know where I live?

I just want to see if cops have a database where they can pull up any or all info based on just a name and a cell phone number.

Thanks.
    If it was a cell phone number, I would think that a warrant would have to be obtained to get information for the number. Although the courts have varied in their opinions as to who has access, what is required legally for access, and what the cell phone carrier can divulge to the law enforcement agency.
    But when he has your name, it is only a matter of time before he can come up with other personal information, using the means that are available to him. But in the same vein, most LE agencies have rules in place to protect them from anyone accessing information for their own personal use, including their own LEO's. Mine did over 16 years ago, I would imagine it is stricter now because of the liability issue.
    21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Deputy Sheriff

Thanks.
    He can call it (gasp!)
    http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Deputy Sheriff

We can use the GPS in your phone to track where you are, and then tap into your cell phone's camera and see what your looking at.... we're always watching....

not really
    http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Waingro...where is he?
    sounds like you gave a guy your number cause you were interested in him. now, you find out he's a cop, and due to the excessive amount of shade that you kick off...you're not interested anymore. am i close?
    Perseverate In Pugna

Have gun......will travel
    Dunno, give it to me and I'll see what I can find out

RKT
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Verbal Sniper

Yes. We can. We do.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerious View Post
    He can call it (gasp!)
    Beat me to it. I would add that he *might* also be able to send a "text message" and/or "picture message" from his telephone to your telephone. It would be sort of like a postcard, only without the physical card part, that travels the distance between your respective telephones extremely quickly and without the aid of wires or mail carriers.

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    Yes. We can. We do.
    We have..BTW, the mail's here and you forgot to get the paper this morning..Cute, walking around with the drapes open.

Noochy
    Sure he can find out anything about you. Heck he is probably making fun of all your licenses pictures on OHLEG right now, god those are great. Anyway, there is more to this then you are telling us.

Why did you give him the #, where did you two meet, why the heck are you worried, are you two more then friends?

Yes he knows everything, if he wants to. Should he want to?
    "The handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

Opionated
    We post them on the walls of the cells so prisoners can call you for bail or phone sex.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Deputy Sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by stormz5192 View Post
    We post them on the walls of the cells so prisoners can call you for bail or phone sex.
    lol

An Obvious problem
    With your name he can do a lot, like research your background. With just the cell phone number he can't do much unless your a suspect in a crime. Then he can get a warrant and access all your phone records.

Or he could call the Mossad, tell them you're a terrorist, and when you call a specified phone number they will bounce a laser off a satellite through your phone into your ear and fry your brain killing you..........jk
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Midwest Nittany Lion
    Well, we cops can do a lot with a cell phone number.

Typically, we just tap into it and listen to what you're saying..... and whoever you're saying it to. Also, like others have mentioned, we track you through the GPS feature. All that cool kind of stuff.

......or not.

Seriously, though, you obviously have a lot to hide or else you wouldn't have come on here and posted such a ridiculous question. He probably "lost" the number shortly after obtaining it. I have a bad habit of doing just that.
    1*

Forum Member

He can call you.

Unless you are a subject of an "official investigation", you are protected by right to know and need to know laws of LE data bases.

Forum Member
    I'll call you tonight and tell after you've been a sleep for an hour.

Why didn't you pay your bill on time?
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormz5192 View Post
    Looks like I finally got myself that new hobby I've been wanting for so long...