Army wife supreme

Carrying an ASP baton - Legal question

I have a silly question that hopefully the 'zonies on the site can answer.

My hubby went to Iraq and he left his ASP baton with me. Nice for me, because it is something that I can have in the house that gives me a sense of safety. I also will take it with me in the car if I am going any far distance because at least I have some way of hopefully protecting myself if something bad happens.

Is it legal to carry in Arizona or could I get in trouble (or worse have it taken from me by an officer should I get stopped) for carrying this in my car?
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Sine Metu
    You should be fine. It is designed as a weapon like a gun or knife but must be used in a specific manner in order to be lethal. It fits the definition of a deadly instrument but so does a car after the driver leaves the bar. Also, while collapsed it is rather harmless. Be on the safe sidfe and keep it in the open in the car. I would not worry too much, I would not take any enforcement action if it was concealed and I pulled you over and you told me. Be safe.
    Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Forum Member

no reasonable police officer is going to charge you for carrying a baton for your own safety as a single(only by location)women. same token they wont confiscate it either.

Positive Thinker

How about a better answer. There is no law in Arizona prohibiting you from having it and carrying it. If you use it, make sure you articulate why you felt the need to use it. You better describe exactly how scared you were.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StalkerCop View Post
    How about a better answer. There is no law in Arizona prohibiting you from having it and carrying it. If you use it, make sure you articulate why you felt the need to use it. You better describe exactly how scared you were.
    Exactly!

An ASP baton, is at -best- a dangerous instrument, not a deadly weapon. There are no general restrictions on owning and carrying, concealed or not. Guidelines for use of a baton are the same as any other physical force situation, and it would not be construed as deadly physical force, unless used in a specific way (i.e. strikes to the head).

Now in California, on the other hand, it is a felony for the general public to so much as -possess- a baton (among other laughable laws).

But then again...we're not in Californy.

Criminalsitter
    Quote Originally Posted by AzPilot View Post
    Now in California, on the other hand, it is a felony for the general public to so much as -possess- a baton (among other laughable laws).

But then again...we're not in Californy.
    I love how CA and other states pass all these laws to prohibit their citizens from protecting themselves. As if gang bangers go down to their local gun retailers and uniform shops and legally buy their crime committing weapons, meanwhile filing all the necessary paperwork and using credit card transactions instead of dozens of hundred dollar bills to make their purchases. The old saying is true in my opinion; "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

Forum Member

If you REALLY needed to defend yourself, i think you'd find the asp severly lacking.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZtribesman View Post
    Also, while collapsed it is rather harmless.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oops. Was that out loud???

You and I need to meet for a DT session and I'll introduce you to the finer points of a retracted baton.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken