Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is the top pay for a New York State Correction Officer?

Forum Member

Question What is the top pay for a New York State Correction Officer?

Hello. I was wondering if any New York State Correction Officers on here could tell me what the top pay is for their position and how long it takes to reach top pay. I know that for a New York State Correction Officer Trainee, the hiring rate is $34,329, the 6 - month rate is $36,111 and after one year the salary is $41,348. I can't seem to find out what the top pay is. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Forum Member
    Well, are you looking for what we make at "job rate" (7 years on the job) or when we get our 10, 15, 20 and 25 years "steps"? You have to be more specific. At 20 years on the job we currently make 59k and change. When Gov Paterson signs the pay bill, an Officer with 20 years on the job is suppose to make 62k and change. Less than what a NYS Trooper with 9 months on the job makes :-(
    New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Tells it like it is.

Hiring Rate: 43,867
    Step 1: $45,502
    Step 2: $47,137
    Step 3: $48,772
    Step 4: $50,407
    Step 5: $52,042
    Job Rate: $53,677
    10 Year: 56,568
    15 Year: $59,112
    20 Year: $62,639
    25 Year: $65,183

Salaries don't include if they apply to you, $1500 expanded duty pay, Night shift pay $900, Afternoon shift pay $1800, Pre-shift briefing aprrox: $2500, and Location pay $3210.

Forum Member

too true its a different job. different minimum qualifications. the only thing we really have in common with sp is statewide jurisdiction but its nice to know theyre on our side when we are running a little late for lineup.

Tells it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by NYIllini View Post
    I didn't see where he asked about the NYSP.
    Some CO's think a better comparison is NYS Trooper vs NYS CO, compared to NYS CO vs. any other CO's. Asinine I know.

Forum Member
    If there were to be any comparisons, then it should be NYS C.O.'s vs Any other State's C.O.'s.

MSICF
    Quote Originally Posted by 25YearsToGo View Post
    Some CO's think a better comparison is NYS Trooper vs NYS CO, compared to NYS CO vs. any other CO's. Asinine I know.
    Another in a long line of lies.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSICF View Post
    Another in a long line of lies.
    He did say "some", not "all".

MSICF
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCS OCT View Post
    He did say "some", not "all".
    But that wasn't the point. I said NYSCOPBA doesn't compare us to COUNTY COs. He keeps leaving that out.

Tells it like it is.

But that wasn't the point. I said NYSCOPBA doesn't compare us to COUNTY COs. He keeps leaving that out.
    No, they compare us to State Troopers. Weren't you the one who said comparing us to State Troopers was a better comparison than comparing us to other Correction Officers?
    Last edited by 25YearsToGo; 07-14-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Forum Member
    ha ha ha My God will you guys stop going at each other's throats over every little comment!? This web board is starting to act/sound like The Hack Net! The only reason I compared us to State Troopers is at one time we made MORE money than they did. Then we made about the same. Now they make DOUBLE what we do, and the State complains they're having financial troubles. If you wanna compare us to other State CO's then fine. We're still like 3rd or 4th in line - and two of those states border ours!
    New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Tells it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CO1989 View Post
    New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest C.O.'s in the country!
    I like your signature.

Ireland for Ever

I had one question....

Have any of you state guys ever worked for NYC Corrections?? I currently do and I am seriously considering leaving and going to state. I know the money is less, but I'm sure there are many more upsides to working for the state. I took the April 07 test, got a 85 and was going to be going into the next class before this freeze came. I just wanted some advice in case that call ever comes. I have 2+ years in the city and I am young...I want out of the city and I want to be part of a department where the officers stick together...any info would be great. Thanks
    As a Corrections Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve my community; to safeguard the lives and property within my jurisdiction; to protect against deception, oppression or intimidation; to prevent violence or disorder; and to respect and preserve the constitutional rights of all.

Forum Member
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
    Hiring Rate: 43,867
    Step 1: $45,502
    Step 2: $47,137
    Step 3: $48,772
    Step 4: $50,407
    Step 5: $52,042
    Job Rate: $53,677
    10 Year: 56,568
    15 Year: $59,112
    20 Year: $62,639
    25 Year: $65,183

Salaries don't include if they apply to you, $1500 expanded duty pay, Night shift pay $900, Afternoon shift pay $1800, Pre-shift briefing aprrox: $2500, and Location pay $3210.
    And I thought NJ C/O's had it bad!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa808 View Post
    And I thought NJ C/O's had it bad!
    Ok, so what do NJ CO's make?

MSICF
    No, they compare us to State Troopers. Weren't you the one who said comparing us to State Troopers was a better comparison than comparing us to other Correction Officers?
    You left out COUNTY again.

MSICF
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIllini View Post
    Where is the lie exactly? Seems to me there are some comparisons right there. The only way I even know about these threads is b/c from time to time I do a search for NYSP. And guess where we pop up a lot? In your contract threads having our contract compared to yours. So how exactly is he lying. You think every time he post he is calling you out personally and have to go behind him and post some retort. This time you call him a liar when the very second post in this thread is doing what he was talking about. Did you even read this thread or just his post?
    NYSCOPBA's arbitrators used the comparison. He's read the testimony. The lie is his continued insistence that NYSCOPBA does not want to be compared to tother COs. However, the arbitration testimony shows otherwise. The problem is NYSCOPBA doesn't believe the comparison should be with COUNTY COs. NYSCOPBA presented it's comparison with STATE COs of the adjoining states. The comparison w/ Troopers is a salary comparison not a job comparison. And, again, the testimony shows this. Fortunately, the neutral arbitrator agreed w/ NYSCOPBA. The comparison was with other STATE COs and he threw the comparison with COUNTY COs out. If you can somehow gain access to the arbitration testimony you'll find it quite clear. Again, the comparison is w/ STATE COs not COUNTY COs. Percy just keeps leaving out that part. Therein lies the lie.

Tells it like it is.

You left out COUNTY again.
    "other" correction officers would include County, State, or City. Try and keep up.

MSICF
    Quote Originally Posted by CO1989 View Post
    ha ha ha My God will you guys stop going at each other's throats over every little comment!? This web board is starting to act/sound like The Hack Net! The only reason I compared us to State Troopers is at one time we made MORE money than they did. Then we made about the same. Now they make DOUBLE what we do, and the State complains they're having financial troubles. If you wanna compare us to other State CO's then fine. We're still like 3rd or 4th in line - and two of those states border ours!
    The comparison is with other STATE COs. Percy's argument is that we should be compared to COUNTY COs. Read the arbitration transcripts.

Tells it like it is.

And, again, the testimony shows this. Fortunately, the neutral arbitrator agreed w/ NYSCOPBA.
    They agreed so much that we got the same 3%/3% that the NYSP and all other state workers received. Please stop trying to make it out that we got so much more than they did because we didn't.

Tells it like it is.

The comparison is with other STATE COs. Percy's argument is that we should be compared to COUNTY COs. Read the arbitration transcripts.
    I really do feel sorry for my fellow correction officers. This is the type of person we have representing us. Do we really need to ask why we continue to get crapped on?

MSICF
    They agreed so much that we got the same 3%/3% that the NYSP and all other state workers received. Please stop trying to make it out that we got so much more than they did because we didn't.
    State's FINAL offer was 2% and 2%. Forget that?

MSICF
    I really do feel sorry for my fellow correction officers. This is the type of person we have representing us. Do we really need to ask why we continue to get crapped on?
    Or you could sympathize with Bldg. 2.

Tells it like it is.

State's FINAL offer was 2% and 2%. Forget that?
    cite?link? Maybe if we kept negotiating the offer would have increased. It did go from 0/0 to 2/2 so it's highly likely the offer would have risin to 3/3. But NYSCOBA thought they could get more and in the end we got what everyone else got. Bravo, excellent job the $2.8 million dollar lawyers did.
    Last edited by 25YearsToGo; 07-14-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Tells it like it is.

Or you could sympathize with Bldg. 2.
    Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

$25,000 to Patterson
    $55,000 on "nothing special apartment"
    $2.4 million in travel costs.
    $5.6 million legal fees
    $1.25 Million Public Relations
    $4.9 million Union Leave

etc...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last