Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Stuck in traffic

The fake 11-99 plate frames are out of control

I was traveling south on the 101 yesterday and spotted at least three fake 11-99 foundation license plate frames. The first was TOTALLY fake like something a person had made at a swap meet or bought online for $10 and the other two were pretty fake looking as well. The only real one I did see that day was on a new black Lamborghini. I know the foundation stopped 'selling' them in January of this year, but apparently people think that just having something saying "11-99 Foundation" is somehow a free pass if they are stopped by a chippie. Oh well, soapbox off....

Forum Member
    I always love the "We support our local police" stickers you find on the cars Somehow the cars that have those always lead to tickets/arrests

forum member
    Totally disgusting. Thanks for the info. Ya gotta have more than just a license plate frame or a sticker.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    I use those stickers to mean they WANT law enforcement contact....and as Socal-Cop said, they almost always lead to a good hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Operator
    Errr....I'm smoking a big bowl of crack....as I wander through the CA Threads....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 07-08-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Forum Member

The fireman (fire-fighter's helmet outline) sticker and any LEO sticker or plate frame means ZERO. They sell them at swap meets. Unless you have the I.D. in hand when (not if) I stop you, no love will be shown. I've cited and/or arrested more tweakers with these things on their cars than I care to count....

I've also pulled over fat-cat attornies and busnessmen who got them "from a friend". Sorry, sign here, please press hard. I can't tell you how many folks have said "Didn't you see my sticker/plate frame?". And I say "Didn't you see the red light/speed limit/no u-turn sign?"

Everyone tires to work an angle, then they blame me for holding them accountable... It's like I'm dealing with my teenagers all over again....
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Forum Member
    When will the public learn that a sticker doesn't mean you support us. More important, it doesn't mean your going to get a warning either.
    Law Enforcement Officers Equity Act (H.R. 1362)
    Sign this petition that will change the retirement benefits for federal police officers currently not covered. No registration required.

QRF
    Forum Member

We don't use 10 codes or 11 codes. So "11-99" means nothing to me.

Poke'mon Master

confidential plates beats stickers any day
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Poke'mon Master

ps:we dont use 11 codes either

God Bless OPD and PPD

Ive been stopped even with confidential plates....bottom line if another LEO wants to pull over another LEO then he/she will. What happens after contact is made is up in the air.
    What if quotas did exist?!

South central escapee...
    ..That is "why" you must have a Shriners or Free Mason emblem on your vehicle- we, eerr, they RULE the U.S. as do the illuminati"......

btw - raised under the "LAPD or the highway" way of doing things- what the hell does a 10/11 code look like?

Poke'mon Master

Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    ..That is "why" you must have a Shriners or Free Mason emblem on your vehicle- we, eerr, they RULE the U.S. as do the illuminati"......

btw - raised under the "LAPD or the highway" way of doing things- what the hell does a 10/11 code look like?
    10-11 is "dispatching too rapidly" lol (for us at least)

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
    10-11 is "dispatching too rapidly" lol (for us at least)
    Wow- That really happens? Our RTOS simply stop answering you if you try and request they "10-9" their last broadcast.... Nite- ( I'm eow,,errr "10-7 OD)

Poke'mon Master

Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    Wow- That really happens? Our RTOS simply stop answering you if you try and request they "10-9" their last broadcast.... Nite- ( I'm eow,,errr "10-7 OD)
    lol.. if someone doesnt answer me i'll hit our emer that sends a very loud beep to all the radio's, call a 33, advise the sgt and have a unit roll code 3 to assist him

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    For what it is worth, the 11-99 Foundation is a reputable organization and does excellent things for fallen and injured CHP officers and their families. Here is an article from their newsletter. Also, even CHP officers are upset that these license plate frames are being used inappropriately.

Lastly, the 11-99 Foundation is not a part of the California Highway Patrol! It is a private group of business and professional people.

News >

Illegal Sales of 11-99 Foundation License-Plate Frames

Example of ''Member'' 11-99 Foundation License-plate Frames that No Longer will be Distributed Effective January 1, 2009

SEPTEMBER 18, 2008 UPDATE TO NEWS ITEM BELOW

Please see the release located at the bottom of this news item.

SEPTEMBER 15, 2008 UPDATE TO NEWS ITEM BELOW

To protect the CHP 11-99 Foundation's marks and good name, on September 15, 2008, the members of the CHP 11-99 Foundation's Board of Directors voted to phase out the distribution of "Member" license-plate frames to donors, effective January 1, 2009. The members of the Board also directed staff to more aggressively pursue illegal online sales of the 11-99 Foundation's license-plate frames and develop a program to address the status of all "Member" license-plate frames currently in circulation.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

The ongoing tussle between corporate giants such as eBay and Tiffany over fraudulent online sales has moved into an unlikely new venue, as the members of the CHP 11-99 Foundation's Board of Directors have begun taking decisive actions to block illegal sales of the 11-99 Foundation's trademark-protected license-plate frames.

"It’s a bit like playing Whack-a-Mole, but it’s really important to block these sales, so we can prevent the frames from being misused, especially by people who don’t share the 11-99 Foundation’s goals," notes Edward Trickey, President and CEO of the CHP 11-99 Foundation.

For most of its 27-year existence, the 11-99 Foundation has given its donors a distinctive license-plate frame. Several thousand of the frames have been distributed over the years, and have been a positive marketing and awareness tool. As part of a shift in the 11-99 Foundation’s structure and funding since 2003, it trademarked its name, and thus the frames. The 11-99 Foundation also explicitly retains ownership of the frames after they're given to donors, even mentioning that ownership in its "lifetime association" application, which also requires referrals and a substantive background check for admission to the organization.

By retaining ownership, the 11-99 Foundation keeps legal standing if donors abuse their affiliation, such as by trying to influence law-enforcement officials, notes John Schroeder, Chair of the CHP 11-99 Foundation's Board of Directors, and a practicing attorney. When notified of abuse attempts, the 11-99 Foundation revokes the offending donor's association with the organization and he or she is required to return the license-plate frames.

But the rise of online auction outlets and driving-enthusiast sites has created a secondary market for the frames among people who aren’t donors. 11-99 Foundation officials regularly hear from donors and others about sale postings on sites such as eBay, Craig's List, and 6speedonline.com. When that happens, 11-99 Foundation officials must reach out to both the seller and the site to get the posting taken down.

Unfortunately, requests for removal often are not honored. eBay, for instance, has created an automated take-down process for sales involving fake goods, spurred in part by protracted legal proceedings with luxury-brand owners such as Tiffany over its liability for making such sales possible. That process only covers counterfeit goods, not real ones such as the 11-99 Foundation’s license-plate frames. For that, we have been told, we must file a stolen-goods report with an appropriate local law enforcement agency, then provide that report to eBay for further action.

Other sites haven’t even been that helpful, so we often must resort to legal threats made directly to sellers. We are trying to develop a simpler, more automated process for taking down illegal sales. But with eBay’s recent court victory against Tiffany over legal liability in counterfeit sales, sites may have even less motivation to cooperate than previously.

"Last spring, the members of the 11-99 Foundation's Board of Directors voted to abolish the issuance of metal ID cards and dedicated ID card wallets, and, for several years now, they have discussed phasing out the issuance of license-plate frames to donors," notes Robert Teal, CHP 11-99 Foundation Board of Directors Member and Immediate Past Chair of the Board. Over the course of the last year, in response to an ever-growing number of unauthorized online sales of our license-plate frames, the members of the Board have discussed phasing out the distribution of new frames in tandem with a program to address the status of frames currently in circulation. According to Trickey, "these actions are being seriously considered at this time to eliminate the supply of frames available for online sales and to counter the argument that the frames offered for sale online are genuine. This has become an urgent matter: the protection of the 11-99 Foundation's marks and good name are at stake." The counter-argument goes that if all frames have been revoked and/or exchanged, then no authorized frames remain in circulation, and unauthorized frames should be treated by eBay and other online auction sites exactly like the counterfeit goods such a revocation and/or exchange action would make them.

"We need to have something that protects the legal owners of products that someone else is selling illegally online," says Scott Siegel, Vice Chair of the CHP 11-99 Foundation's Board of Directors, also a practicing attorney. "We don't want the 11-99 Foundation to continue to suffer because some misguided individual tried to take advantage of the license-plate frames, hoping they would inappropriately influence a law enforcement officer. That is not what the frames represent. Historically, they have been distributed to donors to positively promote the good and important work of the CHP 11-99 Foundation--that is, providing much-needed emergency and death Benefits and Scholarships to eligible CHP family members. Our donors know and honor this, but others may not."
    http://www.chp11-99.org/news/news_sh...?doc_id=705141
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Colonel Skool
    What about all of the KMA, KMK and the other frames....I see them all over and when i roll past the car and its a 20 yr old female or some old fat guy Most chippys or other LEO's dont run the plate before stopping so they never see my confidential plates

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAschoolCop View Post
    What about all of the KMA, KMK and the other frames....I see them all over and when i roll past the car and its a 20 yr old female or some old fat guy Most chippys or other LEO's dont run the plate before stopping so they never see my confidential plates
    Those are just as useless, they actually make me want to stop the car to see what the person is trying to hide... I've seen dubious charchters buying those plate frames when they used to sell them at our Academy years ago... I remember our Acadamy Staff telling us those were used to make money for the store and that we'd be fools to buy them, thereby identifying ourselves as cops to all the bad guys out there. I have yet to meet an actual cop that had one - always a "friend", distant relative, etc... but mostly tweekers.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

God Bless OPD and PPD

Same with the thin blue line sticker.....I laugh at everyone with anything that ID's them as being in LE.....

Heres what LE stickers say, "Here ya go bad guy this is my POV please **uckin vandalize it!"

If I was a Sh*t bag id look for every car with that sticker and make sure my house keys found its way up and down the side of their vehicle.

29E12
    Quote Originally Posted by andy5746 View Post
    Those are just as useless, they actually make me want to stop the car to see what the person is trying to hide... I've seen dubious charchters buying those plate frames when they used to sell them at our Academy years ago... I remember our Acadamy Staff telling us those were used to make money for the store and that we'd be fools to buy them, thereby identifying ourselves as cops to all the bad guys out there. I have yet to meet an actual cop that had one - always a "friend", distant relative, etc... but mostly tweekers.
    Up here in SF they actually sold the "KMA 438" license plate frame for years-Just recently they stopped-Most likely because this problem (and budget BS haha) You see them from time to time, and it seems to be frequent out here in the suburbs to have older guys with them (walking my dog I see a few parked around the neighborhood) This counterfeiting thing is ridiculous though-The criminals are doing a disservice to themselves now LOL

DAL
    "Official Non-Person"
    I think the issuance of badges is more of a problem. Is that still being done? I would think that an AG's opinion last year should have put an end to that.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    Dont drive like a tool and you wont need a license plate frame, sticker or any other item to try to avoid a ticket. Nothing on any of my vehicles would suggest I am an LEO.

God Bless OPD and PPD

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Dont drive like a tool and you wont need a license plate frame, sticker or any other item to try to avoid a ticket. Nothing on any of my vehicles would suggest I am an LEO.
    +1, Im thinking of putting a fireman sticker though...lol

Forum Member

I could "care-a-less" what sticker, lic plate frame or any other LE BS thing you have on your veh you make a traffic violation in front of me prepare to be stopped.

Then it goes into my husband, wife, dad, sister, brother, mother, son, daughter, uncle, aunt, roommate, cousin, best friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, my significant other, (not to mention my most recent "my life partner") etc, etc is a cop. All well in good but I don't care, sign on the bottom.

Then I get the "snotty attitude". Wait a minute, a moment ago before you knew you were getting a ticket you were so nice to me to me lol lol lol.

So does that mean I'll issue your husband, wife, dad, sister, brother, mother, son, daughter, uncle, aunt, roommate, cousin, best friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, my significant other, (not to mention my most recent "my life partner"), etc,etc a citation? Yes, more than likely I will.

VIP Member - Diamond
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Errr....I'm smoking a big bowl of crack....as I wander through the CA Threads....
    11-99 = Officer Needs Assistance in my neck of the woods....basically anyone who can go will go, and they go code.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last