Forum Member

Colt M4 in 22 caliber

They are manufactured in Germany by Carl Walther under license from Colt and they are imported by UMAREX USA. The receivers are made of metal and not some plastic.

Smith and Wesson is coming out with a M&P AR in 22 caliber soon or it may be out.

Does anybody own a GSG-5? I am looking to do some shooting but with the price of 5.56 who can afford it.

Has anybody shot the Colt or GSG-5?

Forum Member
    iMO, get the Colt .223, then get a drop in .22lr conversion kit. This how you get 2 for I.

Little dirty shooting the .22's but the saving are huge and for general plinking (see user name)...I'm all for it

Drop in kits range from $150 to $500. I got one at a gun show, used Colt .22 drop in lr conversion kit for $155. Mines the older model that only has a 10 rd mag.

I'll sell you mine as I'd like to buy I new one with a high cap mag. But now that's $250 and up.

PM me of your interested.

Sorry about any spelling but my keyboard is sticking (spilled beer)

big holes
    Quote Originally Posted by plinker View Post
    iMO, get the Colt .223, then get a drop in .22lr conversion kit. This how you get 2 for I.

Little dirty shooting the .22's but the saving are huge and for general plinking (see user name)...I'm all for it

Drop in kits range from $150 to $500. I got one at a gun show, used Colt .22 drop in lr conversion kit for $155. Mines the older model that only has a 10 rd mag.

I'll sell you mine as I'd like to buy I new one with a high cap mag. But now that's $250 and up.

PM me of your interested.

Sorry about any spelling but my keyboard is sticking (spilled beer)

what he said.
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    I would not use a conversion kit on a duty rifle.

Some have not had any problems, some have had lots. The biggest issue is the gas port getting leaded up. Also the the bore of a .223 is larger and the wrong twist for a .22LR.

IMHO a dedicated upper is the way to go. Check WOA and Spikes Tactical. The Spikes would be the way I would go if I had the cash right now.

I handled the "tactical" version of the Colt at a local shop. I was NOT impressed with the quality. If you already own an AR, there is no reason to get the Colt over a dedicated upper.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Forum Member
    Benefits of the conversion kit:

1) Lower initial cost
    2) Easy portability when going camping, to the range, etc... (small kit vs. a complete upper)
    3) Don't have to buy new sights/optics for the new upper
    4) Kit will fit in our 20" A2, your 16" M4, and your 10.5" SBR
    5) It gives you training on your actual weapon system, not just a copy (sling, trigger, optic, grips, lights, etc...)

Advantages of a Complete Dedicated .22lr Upper:

1) No worries about cleaning your duty rifle after shooting dirty .22lr out of it (although firing a single .223rem cartridge will blow out all the bad gunk)
    2) It will be rifled for .22lr, which is 1/12-1/16, MUCH different than 1/7 or 1/9 (better accuracy!)
    3) The dedicated upper will have dedicated sights, so you can actually realize that accuracy gain with properly sighted-in optics
    4) With a complete upper, you'll eventually get a complete lower for it, which will give you a complete rifle and not just a kit. Two is always better than one, right?
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Forum Member
    Here's a pic of my SBR with my Ciener conversion kit next to it. Everything I need is in that little brown box (magazine and bolt.) It's very simple just to throw that kit into my range bag when heading off.

Now imagine how much it would cost to set up a .22lr dedicated upper in the exact same configuration as THAT rifle!?
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.