Forum Member

Exclamation Life as an NYPD rookie

Hello,
    I am a 20 year old college student. My life's dream has been to be a police officer in the NYPD. I have taken the test twice and scored well, however I am still finishing my undergrad degree so that is as far as I have gone in the application process so far. I have a lot of questions about the first few years that I am wondering if anyone knows the answers to. Any answers are appreciated, thank you very much.

1. During the academy, what is your schedule like?

2. Once I have graduated from the academy, do I get a say in what precinct I get placed in?

3. What is your schedule like on the job the first few years? Are there overtime opportunities?

4. What is your best piece of advice to be successful in my first few years as an NYPD officer?

Thanks!

Rookie

1. During the academy, what is your schedule like? its normally 7am-330 or 330-12pm

2. Once I have graduated from the academy, do I get a say in what precinct I get placed in? nope unless you have a hook.

3. What is your schedule like on the job the first few years? Are there overtime opportunities? schedual is different in every pct. but you will be inpact which is usually a late night tour like 6pm-2am

4. What is your best piece of advice to be successful in my first few years as an NYPD officer?
    stay out of trouble

Rookie Puke

Quote Originally Posted by futurenypd View Post
    With the smaller classes being put in lately, it's 7-3:30. If the classes get big again, they'll probably put the 4-12 back in.

2. Once I have graduated from the academy, do I get a say in what precinct I get placed in?
    Again, because of the smaller classes, you have even less of a say than you used to - every command is crying for cops. A major hook (think Inspector or Chief, not Lieutenant or Captain) is the only way you'll get a say, and even that's not guaranteed anymore.

3. What is your schedule like on the job the first few years? Are there overtime opportunities?
    Like the previous poster said, something along the lines of 6 pm to 2:35 am, or 8 pm to 4:35 am. Some commands do a flip-flop for their Impact - one week of 8 pm to 4:35 am, then a week of noon to 8:35 pm, and then back to the late tour, and so on. Transit Impact usually works something like a noon to 8:35 pm, too.

Overtime depends on the command. A lot of Transit Impacts do mandatory pre-tour or post-tour overtime several times a week - i.e., you come in two hours early or stay two hours late. Other Impacts sometimes do post-tour OT when something happens in their Impact zone on that given day (a shooting, lot of disorderly groups on a hot Saturday night, etc.). There's always arrest OT, but be careful in 'milking' an arrest or other assignment - you may catch the bosses' attention, which is not usually a good thing.

Don't complain too much, and definitely don't complain to your supervisors. You're the newest of the new, and you will sit on hospitalized prisoners and EDPs, you will transport stinky skelly prisoners to the Bookinz, you will stand on a freezing cold 'shooting post' in the dead of winter and not get relieved until three hours until after you were supposed to go end-of-tour. Just remember it gets a little bit better every six months or so, because you're no longer the newest of the new. The job is already pretty different for me with a year on the street than it was when I was just a couple months out of the Academy. Yeah, I still get crummy assignments now and then, but I get a lot more decent assignments than I used to, and things will only get better with time (I hope ).
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

711man

Hello,
    I am a 20 year old college student. My life's dream has been to be a police officer in the NYPD. I have taken the test twice and scored well, however I am still finishing my undergrad degree so that is as far as I have gone in the application process so far. I have a lot of questions about the first few years that I am wondering if anyone knows the answers to. Any answers are appreciated, thank you very much.

what they said... 7-3 or 4-12 saturdays and sundays off

no unless u have a hook, everyone says they have one but its funny at the end of the academy, seeing who knows who for real.

im in impact and work 1130am-8pm, we don't have mandatory transit overtime like that guy before me said. its volunteer and its 3-4 hrs pre and post tour if its even available.

stay out of trouble and do the right thing

Thanks

I'm only a year older than you so if you have anymore questions you can PM me.

Forum Member
    most of us pretty much got the borroughs that we requested, in the academy you can not request a specific precinct, just a borrough or bureau ( bronx, queens, brooklyn north...or bronx transit, brooklyn housing, etc...)
    company sergeants had a bit more leeway...

DENIED!
    Yea, they stopped picking precincts like 5-6 years ago.

Forum Member

Stay out of trouble lol

711man

Quote Originally Posted by PAPD 8-2 View Post
    Stay out of trouble lol
    stay out of trouble as in don't get jammed up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by binzo View Post
    stay out of trouble as in don't get jammed up
    Absolutely the city loves nothing more than to Jam its officers up over utter non sense.