Forum Member

How do I Register an Unregistered Handgun in Ca

I have friend that got a 9mil Ruger from his dad as a gift last week. This gun was bought from a federal firearms dealer in AZ about 15 years ago. Since it he moved to CA 13 years ago the gun has not been registered nor fired. Does anyone know how he would go about getting this gun registered in CA?
    Thanks

KJB
    Am I free to go?
    You are allowed to own guns in California???

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    The weapon, per se, is not required to be registered in CA. It is not on the list of assault weapons. Only the transfer/sale of the weapon from one person to another is required to be documented with the CA DOJ. If it was legally purchased there is no problem.

Here is the "Firearms" page from the CA DOJ:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hankido2000 View Post
    Here's the DOJ form called the Firearm Ownership Record you can download.

Firearm Ownership Record
    When my brother in law gave me a gun a few years ago I used that form, sent my check and one month later received a confirmation letter from DOJ showing the gun was now registered in my name. Very simple process..
    Retired LASD

Salty Dog

Why in the hell would you want to register a gun, especially if it is not mandated? It is none of the government's business what guns people own. Registration is the first step toward confiscation.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
    Why in the hell would you want to register a gun, especially if it is not mandated? It is none of the government's business what guns people own. Registration is the first step toward confiscation.
    I "think" people worry about stuff thats not of consequence, more than stuff that is- the avg citizen will more likely get CITED for watering his lawn during our dry spell issues, or pulled over for NO front plate, than have to "worry" about an unregistered gun in the house !( plenty of people have DEADLY and Korean War era weapons that have NEVER been "registered")

Molon Labe
    The only way it is going to be an issue is if you are caught carrying it (loaded) on your person w/o a CCW (ie: not at the range, hunting, ect).....there is a felony (wobbler) section for possession of a loaded handgun that is not 'registered' to you (ie: you arent listed as the owner via a CALGUNS check)

It is one of the myriad 12025 sections.....12025(b)(2)?......somewhere in that area......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

So there would be no issue with him bringing the unregistered gun to the range to shoot and no issue transporting it properly back and forth if he got pulled over and searched?

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeytilter25 View Post
    So there would be no issue with him bringing the unregistered gun to the range to shoot and no issue transporting it properly back and forth if he got pulled over and searched?
    as long as it is UNLOADED and not on his person when he is stopped, it should not be an issue.....

research CPC 12020-12031....ALL of the little subsections......be your own expert on what is allowed here in Commifornia, and what is not......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Out of curiosity, if a gun is registered, would that be of aid in recovering it if it's stolen?

Salty Dog

Yes, it would, but I would rather lose a gun to a common burglar than to the government.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilis View Post
    Out of curiosity, if a gun is registered, would that be of aid in recovering it if it's stolen?
    As long as you know the make, model and serial number, the stolen weapon can be entered in AFS and, if recovered, returned to you. You don't need to have it registered with the state prior to reporting it lost/stolen.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Forum Member

I don't think anyone is going to waste their time checking registration for citizens.

Registration is so stupid, the libtards do not understand that badguys don't register their guns.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    The only way it is going to be an issue is if you are caught carrying it (loaded) on your person w/o a CCW (ie: not at the range, hunting, ect).....there is a felony (wobbler) section for possession of a loaded handgun that is not 'registered' to you (ie: you arent listed as the owner via a CALGUNS check)

It is one of the myriad 12025 sections.....12025(b)(2)?......somewhere in that area......
    so i have a similar situation. my father has a gun that was given to him few years back, i think handed down to him from a friend that passed or something in that nature. i love the gun and after i grad acad i would like to off duty carry it. could i just reg it under my name after and carry it? thanks!

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by nevets616 View Post
    could i just reg it under my name after and carry it? thanks!
    Yes.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."