Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Gone and Forgotten

Question Weight of duty belt?

Does anyone know the "total" weight of your leather duty belt? Loaded with everything you carry daily. Thanks.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Forum Member
    My belt weighs 13 Lbs.
    Be safe pulling back into the thread...
    http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPD7297 View Post
    Does anyone know the "total" weight of your leather duty belt? Loaded with everything you carry daily. Thanks.
    Never cared to actually weigh my dut belt although I try to keep it as light as possible. I have an outer vest that carries my taser, flashlight, and asp baton.

La Migra
    I've never weighed the belt by itself, but fully dressed for duty including boots and body armor, I'm 18 pounds heavier than I am without it all.

Salty Dog

Don't know how much the belt alone is, but in full uniform with everything on, I'm 22 pounds heavier.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Waingro...where is he?
    id guess the belt is around 15lbs
    Perseverate In Pugna

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    Start of shift around 15 lbs. At the end of a 12 hour shift approximately 1.5 tons.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

k91376
    Damn near 20 pounds with all my gear on it......

Forum Member

I'm 25lbs heavier in full uniform.

Forum Member

Enough to have permanent bruising on my hips.

Forum Member
    22 lbs. heavier for me.
    "For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother" - Our Call to Arms

Keeper of the keys

IN full uniform i'm 25lbs heavier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
    Enough to have permanent bruising on my hips.
    LOL I have permanant numb spots on my hips . . . I thought there was something wrong with me!!

Forum Member
    Not sure, but I have developed some major low back issues since becoming an officer.

Hawkeye Pride
    22lb gain with all gear on (boots/belt/vest)
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Gone and Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Outshined View Post
    After my back surgery I was told that the duty belt has nothing to do with lower back issues as it rest below your L spine. Hips knee problems but not lower back.
    That's interesting, because that's the reason I asked the question. I've been treated by three different chiropractors, since lower back disc issues began in 1986. All agree, carrying that much weight around the waist is not normal. We (apparently females do better) were not designed for wearing such weight doing such activites police officers do daily. I'm convinced, carrying 12-15 lbs+ for 15 years contributed to my L4, L5 bulged discs. Thanks everyone for the replies.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Click it or Ticket!!!
    Same here, im about 20-25 lbs heavier with boots/belt/vest...

Forum Member

im 27 lbs heavier in full uniform, and still want to add an extra set of cuffs and a holder and a small flashlight and a holder lol

dt

Lather it like its stolen
    With all my duty gear on and my vest, minus the boots im 30 lbs heavier. And I have a nylon duty belt.

Forum Member

Belt weighs 24.5lbs. Too damn heavy.

Omnipotent Stomper
    I weighed mine before retirement. 25lbs. I also had to have a L5 Fusion right before I retired. Fortunately I got enough time in to reach my normal retirement date before all lower back heII broke loose. My L4 is bulged also, but not as bad.

To any of those docs that say the belt is not a factor... They are examining the belt on a person in a standing position, or in a sitting position, and not after the guy has worn it 8+ hours a day for 10-25 YEARS. Put that same belt on a guy and have him work a 8+ hour shift, constantly getting into and out of a squad car, running full speed after someone, jumping over fences... for 10 YEARS or more... It's easy for a doc who has NO idea what we do to tell us that "no, can't be the belt..."

Well... MY back says differently. There were days, before I went into criminal investigations, where I could barely get out of the car after an 8 hour shift. I was also in fantastic shape before that lower disc blew out. In six years I went from being able to jog/run 5 miles with dumbells and working out with weights, to barely being able to complete a shift. That belt sat right on my L5 while seated in the car, and the vest sat right on top of that belt. I would imagine the 25lbs plus weight of the vest, then sitting for hours, getting in and out of the car... Now... tell me that isn't going to mess up your back. I know WAY too many cops who have the EXACT same problem I have. L4 and L5. Now... Why do you suppose that is?

A study should be done comparing different occupations and the incidents of lower back damage. I'd bet a few paychecks that cops had a much higher rate of lower back damage.
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Bored

Yeah I dont agree with {a Doctor} about the belt not having any difference on a low back issue.
    Its all a lever system and it just brings down the shoulders and neck etc.

Ever tense up around the neck {as a kid in skewl?} when someone was about to slap you? Thats my neck-shoulder area. Impossible to 'relax' the upper shoulder-nek area.

As far as low back-disc issues? Im ok, for now. 14+ years in. Now we have these new pepperball shooters that we are 'mandated' to wear. Maybe it only weighs half a pound but its another thing dragging the pants-waist area down, another half pound on a belt getting heavier as I now carry a .45cal that weighs 8+ ounces more than my previous gun.

Im freakin ROBO-COP
    I got nothing for now

Black and white taxi
    Leather belt with buckle, full-size G21 and two spare mags with .45, two hinged cuffs, keys, camera mic, X26, radio, asp, 6 keepers...weighs too f'n much thats all I know...
    It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by CPD7297 View Post
    Full uniform, 23 pounds. Don't know on the belt but I'd guess 16 or so. Our vest is fairly light. Relatively speaking, of course.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Page 1 of 2 12 Last