Princess

Brief Rohrbaugh R9S 9mm review

I bought this pistol about a month ago to replace my Kel-Tec .380 P3AT. Initial impressions were: wow, this thing is small. It's 5 inches long, 4 inches tall and 0.85 inches thick. It weighs only 14 ounces (with the mag but no ammo). I've put a few hundred rounds through it since then and have been carrying it almost every day when I'm back in TX, I can only travel with my H&K USP when I go to work.

I bought a small pocket holster designed for it and it fits into my pockets with ease, the only pockets it doesn't fit into are the very *** hugging jeans -- and it would fit it would just look like a gun was in my pocket. I usually wear a jacket those times and keep it in that pocket. I do not like keeping my pistol in my purse like many women do, because that is the first thing that would likely be grabbed from me and I don't want to get shot with my own gun if they found it. Most of the time the pistol is so small I can even forget that it is there, similar to the Kel-Tech .380. Sometimes I'll get home and dump my change on the counter and realize that there is a pistol there too.

What is also really nice is that the sights are basic, the whole frame is compact with no protrusions. The sights won't snag on your pants or pocket when youre pulling it out.

How it shoots... you can not load +P+ or +P ammo in it, only standard 9mm. It is DA only with no external safeties, which is something I have grown to appreciate. The pull is smooth and didn't cause me any jerkiness, recoil is not bad. It is very loud, but all the better I guess. The weapon is designed for close quarters, within a few meters as most pocket pistols are however carefully aimed I managed to get about a 8.5" grouping at 50 ft, and maybe a 1.5-2" grouping at 10 meters. Not bad. I fired about 300 rounds through it so far and as of yet have had no malfunctions at all, but I have bought a couple of extra recoil springs because you're supposed to replace them fairly often -- small price to pay, I guess.

All in all I am extremely pleased with the pistol. I feel much more comfortable with it than I did with the .380 and sometimes will even take the R9 when I could take my H&K USP Compact in .40, just because it is much more convienant and small form factor. I can also wear it concealed while wearing a dress

Score 8/10 !

Forum Member

i looked into the Rohrbaugh when shopping for my CCW/BUG 9mm single stack, however price was what put me into my current Kahr PM9 (and even kahr's arent cheap). good choice though!

Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    I'm just curious why you chose that gun over the PM9?
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Forum Member
    That's a good question. I am curious if Ceridwen compared the two, and then chose to spend the extra coin on the Rorbaugh R9S over the Kahr. And if so, what was it that pushed her over to the R9S.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Princess
    I did look into the Kahr, but the weight was a little too much for me to comfortably carry in the pocket. You big burly men creatures may not have any problem with that though

Forum Member
    Kahr PM9 9mm (9 x 19 mm)
    Frame: Polymer
    PM9093 Matte SS Slide $771
    PM9094 Black SS Slide $820
    Operation: DAO; Slide Lock
    Capacity: 6 +1
    Overall Length: 5.6”
    Height: 4.3”
    Width: 1.10”
    Weight Empty: 16.7 oz.
    Weight Fully Loaded 20 oz.

Rohrbaugh R9 9mm (9 x 19 mm)
    Frame: Aluminum Alloy
    MSRP: $1150
    Operation: DAO
    Capacity: 6 +1
    Overall Length: 5.2”
    Height: 3.7”
    Width: 0.91”
    Weight Empty: 14.3 oz.
    Weight Fully Loaded 17 oz.

The R9 gives you a 3oz savings, and a slightly smaller package, for the extra $370.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Princess
    I held a PM9 and it seemed heavier than that. Maybe just my impression though.

Forum Member

aaaand im 600/170 soaking wet lol. not big and burly by any means

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    I managed to get about a 8.5" grouping at 50 ft, and maybe a 1.5-2" grouping at 10 meters.
    Do you mean 8.5" at 50m or 1.5-2" grouping at 10ft?

I can only manage a 6" group at about 20ft with my p3at. I'd love to practice more, but the ammo, wherefore art thou .380 ammo?
    Last edited by TimK; 06-08-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    **Not a LEO**

Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    So, where's the pics??
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Princess
    I'll take some after this trip.

Forum Member

I too also recently bought a Rohrbaugh. I carry it on duty as a BUG, and it has become my primary off duty gun, at least during the warmer months.

I have had horrible experiences with Kahrs, having owned 4 over a 10-year period with significant reliability issues. YMMV, of course.