Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Florida Department of Corrections

Ive applied at several state corrections facilities and I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them

Ive gotten supplemental packets back from 3 insititutions and my question is because they send you your supplemental packet back does that mean they are starting the employment process with you or does it just mean they want you to fill it out so you'll be considered for future employment?

Also which of the following would be the best place to work at?
    (I have receieved Supplmental Packets from the following)
    Union Correctional Institution
    Lancaster Correctional Institution
    Reception and Medical Center (Lake Butler)

Thanks in advance!
    Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Physical Abilities Test PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

Forum Member

I don't have any answers for your questions, but I think you'd be much better off going with a county corrections facility. The pay is usually better, you're still in the state retirement system, and most are ran by the Sheriff, meaning it would be easier to transfer to the road if so desired. They will also usually send you through the corrections academy just like DOC will. I do see that you're already in the process with Jacksonville, so this isn't a new thought for you.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudChris View Post
    I don't have any answers for your questions, but I think you'd be much better off going with a county corrections facility. The pay is usually better, you're still in the state retirement system, and most are ran by the Sheriff, meaning it would be easier to transfer to the road if so desired. They will also usually send you through the corrections academy just like DOC will. I do see that you're already in the process with Jacksonville, so this isn't a new thought for you.
    Yeah I love the thought of working for Jacksonville but I will have to move to work there and until I recieve my first paycheck so I can move Im going to have to drive back and foward to the academy everyday from Jacksonville. (meaning Im going to have to get up about 3:30 AM everyday and get home at 7pm or so and I have to study while Im in the academy a friend told me whos going through it right now)

All the local county sheriffs including ASO arent sponsoring right now. Hell money is so tight here in Alachua that they arent even hiring certified corrections officers.

With the Region II state prisons (At least the ones that have sent supplemental packets back) I wont have to move and I get put to work right away shadowing which are big bonus.

Plus after a year I can transfer to Gainesville Correctional Institution and directly serve my community which was my goal in the first place.
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

PRISON BUS/ CVPI
    Quote Originally Posted by floridafbody View Post
    Ive applied at several state corrections facilities and I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them

Ive gotten supplemental packets back from 3 insititutions and my question is because they send you your supplemental packet back does that mean they are starting the employment process with you or does it just mean they want you to fill it out so you'll be considered for future employment?

Also which of the following would be the best place to work at?
    (I have receieved Supplmental Packets from the following)
    Union Correctional Institution
    Lancaster Correctional Institution
    Reception and Medical Center (Lake Butler)

Thanks in advance!
    Being that you actually received the app package, I would say that they're ready to start your hiring process.

As for the best choice out of the 3 depends on you. I would have to tell you that they're all excellent choices being the fact that they're located in what is known through DOC as Region 2, which is where I began my career (Cross City CI). If you have a HIGH tolerance level, then by all means please elect to go to Lancaster (Youthful Offenders), #2 Union (Death Row) and #3 RMC....Well the name speaks for itself = job security!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstakz View Post
    Being that you actually received the app package, I would say that they're ready to start your hiring process.

As for the best choice out of the 3 depends on you. I would have to tell you that they're all excellent choices being the fact that they're located in what is known through DOC as Region 2, which is where I began my career (Cross City CI). If you have a HIGH tolerance level, then by all means please elect to go to Lancaster (Youthful Offenders), #2 Union (Death Row) and #3 RMC....Well the name speaks for itself = job security!
    THANK YOU for your reply!

I'm thinking of applying first to the Reception and Medical center. Its the closest to Gainesville.

I have a few more questions

1) How long is the average hiring process with the state? I have a perfectly clean background have lived at the same one address for the last 15 years or so (Im only 19)

2) What exactly are the neighborhood checks they sent with the application? Are they for your supplemental packet neighborhood references?

3) What steps are involved in the process. All it says on the fldocjobs.com is that there will be "additional steps" if they choose you (This ties in with my first question

Thanks in advance!
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Forum Member

I took me a long time to get on, but they were in a hiring freeze then. I don't work for them anymore, but county does usually pay alot more as the other poster stated. You used to have to work for them a year before you could transfer your certification. This may not be the case anymore. Btw Lake Butler is way, way in bfe.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by web62 View Post
    I took me a long time to get on, but they were in a hiring freeze then. I don't work for them anymore, but county does usually pay alot more as the other poster stated. You used to have to work for them a year before you could transfer your certification. This may not be the case anymore. Btw Lake Butler is way, way in bfe.
    Lake Butler is better than Lancaster in the fact that Lacaster is in a county with ONE stoplight in the whole county according to wikipedia (And no road with more than two lanes)

Hopefully bigstakz will chime in soon with his thoughts. The hiring freeze is over for DOC and no one seems to have gone through the process Pre-hiring freeze to tell me how long it takes
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Forum Member

Good Luck, im still waiting for my Supplemental Packets.

PRISON BUS/ CVPI
    THANK YOU for your reply!

I'm thinking of applying first to the Reception and Medical center. Its the closest to Gainesville.

I have a few more questions

1) How long is the average hiring process with the state? I have a perfectly clean background have lived at the same one address for the last 15 years or so (Im only 19)

2) What exactly are the neighborhood checks they sent with the application? Are they for your supplemental packet neighborhood references?

3) What steps are involved in the process. All it says on the fldocjobs.com is that there will be "additional steps" if they choose you (This ties in with my first question

Thanks in advance!
    My process was 3-4 months.

The neighborhood/ reference checks were sent directly to my neighbors.

The process is roughly them same as everyone else with the exception of the Psych and Poly/ CVSA. You take the FBAT or CJBAT, Background check, Interview, and Medical.

PRISON BUS/ CVPI
    Lake Butler is better than Lancaster in the fact that Lacaster is in a county with ONE stoplight in the whole county according to wikipedia (And no road with more than two lanes)

Hopefully bigstakz will chime in soon with his thoughts. The hiring freeze is over for DOC and no one seems to have gone through the process Pre-hiring freeze to tell me how long it takes
    Lake Butler will be better for you for longevity purposes. At lancaster you'll ALWAYS have to be on your toes for the silly S**T the the "JITS" do. You won't experience a lot of the manipulation from the Y.O.'s that you would from an institution such as Lake Butler. Older inmates that have been around for longer than you could imagine can and would be able to tell you exactly how to do your job. But now knowing your age, you will be in for a ride where ever you choose to go.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstakz View Post
    Lake Butler will be better for you for longevity purposes. At lancaster you'll ALWAYS have to be on your toes for the silly S**T the the "JITS" do. You won't experience a lot of the manipulation from the Y.O.'s that you would from an institution such as Lake Butler. Older inmates that have been around for longer than you could imagine can and would be able to tell you exactly how to do your job. But now knowing your age, you will be in for a ride where ever you choose to go.
    I dropped my supplemental packet at RMC and UCI today. RMC seems to want to expedite my process as much as possible. The recruiter said she would call me to setup my interview next week (While UCI seems to want to take their time by the tone of the recruiter there) Any thoughts on this bigstakz?
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by web62 View Post
    Lake Butler isnt that bad! I went there today its only about a mile from the main town of Lake Butler. Hell Raiford (UCI) is much worse than RMC.
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Forum Member

Are the Supplmental Packets the one's that can't be printed online? Because i had to apply a second time through PeopleFirst.com.

Thanks.
    Florida Department Of Correction Applicant (S.F.R.C.)
    CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
    Interviewed- 09-01-09

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froilan View Post
    Are the Supplmental Packets the one's that can't be printed online? Because i had to apply a second time through PeopleFirst.com.

Thanks.
    The application you send through people first is just that - an application. You can download and print the basic supplemental package from fldocjobs.com
    However...
    It is better to wait for them to send you your packet because it includes more items, most of it pertaining to the background check. Like your Neighborhood check, background check waiver, domestic violence affidavit, etc. So they dont have to do all that stuff individualy. (You can take care of that stuff much more efficiantly than the state can)

Also when they send you your supplemental app, include a draft registration confirmation sheet and a driving record copy. Driving record copies can be obtained at the clerk of the courts. (Where you pay your citations if you get one)

Selective service system confirmations can be obtained here
    https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Forum Member

Thank's for the information Floridafbody.
    CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
    Interviewed- 09-01-09

Forum Member
    Got a call from the Columbia Correctional Institution recruiter. She said that she wanted me to come in for an interview Wednesday with the supplemental packet found on the FLDOC website. Strange but however they want to do it is fine with me
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam

Forum Member

Good luck man.
    CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
    Interviewed- 09-01-09

Forum Member

Im new here I actually just got hired at Broward correctional institute. I applied a while back my orientation is on the 2nd. then they have 180 days to get me into academy. anyone here work for the state now??

PRISON BUS/ CVPI
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcop1 View Post
    Im new here I actually just got hired at Broward correctional institute. I applied a while back my orientation is on the 2nd. then they have 180 days to get me into academy. anyone here work for the state now??
    <----------

Forum Member

question

I recently applied and interviewed for the dept of corrections and interviewed for the homestead facility (state). She told me I passed the interview and the next step would be for the warden to review my application. So how long before I should get a call back for my next step. Its already been a week. I'm very anxious... should I call them? Can anyone give me feedback on the proces? Thnx

PRISON BUS/ CVPI
    Quote Originally Posted by dgutierrez8184 View Post
    I recently applied and interviewed for the dept of corrections and interviewed for the homestead facility (state). She told me I passed the interview and the next step would be for the warden to review my application. So how long before I should get a call back for my next step. Its already been a week. I'm very anxious... should I call them? Can anyone give me feedback on the proces? Thnx
    Be patient.

Forum Member

how long does it normally take for a response after the interview? i have a buddy who interviewed end of may and they told him it would be a week or two and he has heard nothing and nobody answers when he calls so he is freaking out.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Forum Member

I applied beginning of june and have not heard anything and they said they'd call me 2, if ur friend hears anything let me know

Forum Member

I applied a while ago at South Florida Reception Center and got a call about 2 weeks ago and they asked me if i still wanted to work for them, but have not received any supplememntal packages as of yet. Does it usually takes this long for a respnse? Thanks.
    CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
    Interviewed- 09-01-09

Forum Member

Finally got my interview today and my Supplemental Package. Should i wait for a next step, because i was not informed. Thanks.
    CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
    Interviewed- 09-01-09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last